Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

Spoiler Concerns in the Enterprise Forum

Do you think changes should made in the Enterprise Forum regarding use of spoilers?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think changes should made in the Enterprise Forum regarding use of spoilers?

• Yes - Putting a spoiler on everything makes them useless. Spoilers can hold info on future episodes.
    • No - I don't wanna know anything about the current episode yet. Not everyone sees Enterprise Friday nights.
    • I have no opinion on this issue.

The poll for last episode of Enterprise, "Home", had a new difference. Spoilers were to be used for only UPCOMING EPISODES, and not the episode being reviewed. The concern was that a spoiler could contain topic matter (info from the episode "Home") or info from UPCOMING episodes. Most people who read the review topic have SEEN the episode and thus go there to read reviews of that episode and don't want to be spoiled on upcoming episodes. When spoilers are used for everything, you CAN'T tell the difference between the two.

For example, consider the following mock posts and pretend you are attempting to read reviews of the episode "Home" and that you do not want to be spoiled on any upcoming episode such as "Borderland"

WARNING, one of these spoilers contains a REAL SPOILER OF THE UPCOMING EPISODE "BORDERLAND." The remaining ones are short reviews of mine regarding "Home".

POST 1:

Click For Spoiler
"Home" was a nice change of pace for Enterprise - 9.5

POST 2:

Click For Spoiler
I liked T'Pols turn towards logic in this episode. I almost wanna give it 10 but I give it 9.5!

POST 3:

Click For Spoiler
I give "Home" 9.5 of 10. It had very believable character interaction

POST 4:

Click For Spoiler
In "Borderland" Brent Spiner plays a villain, not a friend.

POST 5:

Click For Spoiler
I thought "Home" a great episode and deserved a 9.5.

So, did you know which spoiler would spoil you and which one would not? In fact, I'm betting you were scared to even click on the spoilers so that you would not reveal something about "Borderland" to yourself. This is how I feel when I'm trying to read reviews.

If everything has a spoiler on it, how does one know what information is and isn't a spoiler?

So what are your thoughts or ideas on this?

Edited by mj

Well, you don't need to have any worries about me using spoilers. I can't seem to get them to work right.

Besides this, my opinion (and I may be among a minority) is that it doesn't matter. Anyone can go to a site which might contain previews, and some people might want to do just that.

A preview being in an episode review, though, well, I think it would just be annoying to want to read other people's reviews about one episode and see people talking about an up-coming episode.

I voted: Bad - I don't wanna know anything about the current episode - but I'd rather have a choice. The main reason for using spoiler boxes is everyone does not see the episode at the same time.

So why not just stay off the thread till after you've seen it?

Usually people say whether it was good episode or not and post the rating outside the spoiler and before I see the episode that is what I'm looking at the thread for - non spoiling teasers for the show with the option of peeking at spoilers.

Click For Spoiler

Wishfire, spoilers may be added manually to your posts by typing the following code directly into your text:

[spoiler]Your Spoiler Text Here Between the Spoiler Codes.[/spoiler]

I also vote bad.

Not only is it one of the rules here, it's not exactly fair to some members.

I've realized this even more clearly as of late as I have been unable to see the last two episodes. I wont be able to watch them until I go home this weekend. This has happened before, but I always liked being able to read the ratings and general opinions people had of the episode without actually learning major plot points. Now, it's even more difficult because I have to weigh my duties as the mod of the ENT forum with my desire not to ruin the entire episode for myself. There needs to be an option, and forcing those who haven't seen the episode to avoid the topic altogether shouldn't be it.

Besides, once you learn how, is it really that difficult to add the spoiler tags?

Suffice to say, the spoiler rule is there for a reason.

Some members do not have access to the newer episodes e.g ARMS or Unadopted Angelic in the UK. So I say the change is bad.

I voted no, because not everyone gets Enterprise Friday nights. But right now, according to the poll on when local areas receive Enterprise, most people do.

Ace and I are reopening this poll by Captain Bolivar, with some editing. There currently is no new policy about spoilers in the forum, but we are interested in the results of this poll.

Edited by mj

This problem could easily be solved if there was a rule in this thread that states:

"EVERY SPOILER MUST HAVE THE EPISODES TITLE BEFORE IT."

Make THAT a rule then everyone is warned.

If the post doesn't do this then delete it.

That would solve the problem on one level, but it would ruin the flow of the writing in the post.

I voted....No - I don't wanna know anything about the current episode yet.

Reason:...here in holland we are about 25 episodes behind so i tend not to look at anything to do with ENT just incase cuz i dont want to know what happens till i see it myself.

I am bumping this poll. If you have opinions on this issue, you need to express it by voting, or by commenting in this thread if the poll choices do not give you an adequate opportunity to express your opinion.

Currently the policy of this forum is to use spoilers. Unlike the other Star Trek series, as hangon points out, some people who visit this forum are behind by even a year in receiving the episodes.

If a completely different approach is needed, it should be discussed here. Otherwise the policy will remain in tact, and all threads should use spoilers.

Please discuss this issue if you believe change is in order, or if you think things should remain as they are.

Currently we will edit any new threads posted that do not use spoilers in the posts.

I voted yes, it makes no sense to me to have a thread where every post is in a spoiler such as Captain Bolivars ratings threads.

Almost every post reads I gave it a X - click for spoiler. How is that any different from putting a spoiler in the topic heading. You can not discuss the episode without discussing what happened in it.

I don't get ENT at 8:00 on Friday and I don't open that thread until I've seen episode - unless I've missed the epi and then I read it to find out what happened.

I guess it's all irrelevant because I don't really plan to watch after the Spiner arc is finished.

Still a thread where every post says nothing but "click for spoiler" doesn't make sense to me.

I voted Yes. If you don't want to know about the episode being discussed, why are you looking at the thread where it is being discussed? It doesn't make sense. If you don't want to know, just avoid the thread until you've seen the episode. As long as there's fair warning in the thread title I don't think there's a need for every post to have a spoiler. I do agree that if we discuss a future episode in a review thread there should be a spoiler.

I'm told I should put my opinion on the spoiler issue here (since the mods deleted in from the Cold Station 12 discussion). The mods were busy adding spoiler tags to every post on that thread.

Okay so If I was to go onto to a thread taking about the TOS ep "Space Seed" and I were to say "This reminds me of Cold Station 12 when . . ." Then yeah, I would put spoiler tags around it.

But if the title of the thread is "What do you think of Cold Station 12" do we really have to worry about the folks who haven't seen the episode yet? You'll get more people through who are annoyed about having to clickety-click multiple spoiler tags than the odd person who is annoyed that we gave away the ending. Imo, you have to be an idiot not to expect spoilers in a thread devoted to an episode you have not yet seen. And for those idiots, you can put "contains spoilers" in the title of the thread.

That's what I think. But then, I'm not from England.

Another thing....sometimes when my computer is being wonky I just can't read the spoiler tags. It is extremely annoying.

Edited by Essoq

Another thing....sometimes when my computer is being wonky I just can't read the spoiler tags.  It is extremely annoying.

280148[/snapback]

This is also a very good point. Does anyone else have difficulties opening spoiler tags?

Another thing....sometimes when my computer is being wonky I just can't read the spoiler tags.  It is extremely annoying.

280148[/snapback]

This is also a very good point. Does anyone else have difficulties opening spoiler tags?

280158[/snapback]

So far never. If it ever did though I would quote the post with the stubborn spoiler, read it that way, then decide to reply or click the back button and move on.

...if the title of the thread is "What do you think of Cold Station 12" do we really have to worry about the folks who haven't seen the episode yet?

To reiterate; many people who haven't seen the episode are in the thread looking for little blurbs about the episode quality or Ratings given without wanting to see the actual plot spoilers, I do that too before it airs in my area.

Bump.

Just trying to see if there is strong enough feeling on this issue to merit a change in policy.

A reminder....please use the current policy until it is changed.

Second ( or third) bump. By the response to this poll, there does not seem to be a desire for change.

I have to wonder if people really understood the question - maybe they thought the situation was regarding all spoilers in the forum.

I think the question should have specified "current episode review" rather than the Enterprise forum.

Here is the deal at another posting board I go to. Yhey tell you what episode they are discussing straight of, then they spoiler it. It in my opinion doesn't ruin the flow of anything, and the argument as well as blow by blow descriptions are saved for those who have seen it.

I will not get the first episode of Ent's 4th season until Jan at the earliest, so reading non spoilered posts really angers me. I would love to go into the Ent forum, I can't. Why? Cause i don't want to read full descriptions and freaking arguments on an episode I haven't seen. Why the hell after reading your disections and nit picking would I want to see the episode. I have practically read the entire thing anyhow. So spoiler it and just tell us what eps are in the spoiler at the begining of the spoiler.

UA, I think you proved my point - the question is only about the current episode review thread - not the entire forum. And those review threads have the title in it. So everyone knows which episode is being reviewed.

It's board rules so I use spoilers. But I don't think it makes sense to see post after post that says nothing but

Click For Spoiler

Personally I think it is a major headache trying to decide what someone may or may not get upset over reading - it's much easier to put everything in a spoiler

ONe thing everyone that posts about episodes should try to remember, the only things that should go into spoilers is information that is plot related. Things that will give the "punch line" away.

If you're just saying "I liked this episode and can't wait for next week" then that doesn't need to be in a spoiler. But if you are saying "I can't believe Spock killed Kirk with the Vulcan death grip and almost went with the Romulans!" Then that belongs in a spoiler lol.

Remember, not everyone see's the episodes on the same day here in the U.S. and as was pointed out not every country sees the episodes in the same month even.

The spoilers aren't a real big hassel to click open but if you accidentally get a plot spoiled for you then that sucks.

ONe thing everyone that posts about episodes should try to remember, the only things that should go into spoilers is information that is plot related. Things that will give the "punch line" away.

If you're just saying "I liked this episode and can't wait for next week" then that doesn't need to be in a spoiler. But if you are saying "I can't believe Spock killed Kirk with the Vulcan death grip and almost went with the Romulans!" Then that belongs in a spoiler lol.

Remember, not everyone see's the episodes on the same day here in the U.S. and as was pointed out not every country sees the episodes in the same month even.

The spoilers aren't a real big hassel to click open but if you accidentally get a plot spoiled for you then that sucks.

287961[/snapback]

Seeson 4 off Ent. isn,t even on TV here in holland, maybe next year when our broadcast compagny,s have enought money to buy it :assimilated:

I prefer not to read spoilers - and don't forget for us folks not resident in America it can mean we are weeks even years away from catching up. Don't spoiler our fun!!!