Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Why didn't T'Pol.....

Why didn't T'Pol tell Koss about her Panar syndrome? I know she told him she'd been ill but given the stigma attached to her illness - didn't he have a right to know the details?

I guess she either figured he would back out of the marriage and thus wouldn't help her mother or

Maybe she believed he did have influence with the medical community and that they could find a cure for her.

And why did Koss want to marry her anyway if she had disgraced her heritage by bearing responsibility for P'Jem and by living among the humans - he didn't seem to be suffering Ponn Farr.

I wondered about that too wishfire. I think he used the term "happy" as as a sort of slang that meant that he wished for T'Pol to be satisfied with her life. Obviously, Vulcan's have a prefered manner in which they live their lives. If they did not, they would not need to make decisions cause all events would be just as desireable. Vulcan's do desire, but not with their emotions. So in this sense, happy could have meant content or satisfied. Sort of like a non-emotional happy. I hope that made sense. It was hard to convey the meaning with words.

Why did he want T'Pol to be "happy?" Isn't happiness a human quality?

275175[/snapback]

T'Pol actually stated in one episode that Vulcans do have emotions - they just control them. Although I'm guessing this was a writer's error.

And happiness isn't a human quality because Denoblians, Betazeds etc experience it too.

Why did he want T'Pol to be "happy?" Isn't happiness a human quality?

T'Pol actually stated in one episode that Vulcans do have emotions - they just control them. Although I'm guessing this was a writer's error.

And happiness isn't a human quality because Denoblians, Betazeds etc experience it too.

No, I don't believe it was a writers error. It's always been the case that Vulcans have emotions but they suppress them. Think back to Spock in "All Our Yesterdays" and how he began to revert back to what Vulcans were 5,000 years ago and think about Sarek in Star Trek III, the emotions that he displayed with Kirk and in explaining to the Vulcan Priestess that where his son was concerned his logic was uncertain, in other words he wasn't as able to control his emotions when it came to Spock as he was in any other instance.

I think we've seen all Vulcans (or most of them) that have been on the show display some form of emotions.

T'Pol's own mother stated to her as she lay dying in the Syrannites' hideaway, and as her daughter openly and abundantly shows grief, ''Your emotions have always been close to the surface''. Not a condemnation-certainly not as she breathed her last moments-but a statement of fact. T'Pol's trellium addiction tore down the barriers Vulcans work to build and maintain, to keep them in CHECK....as shown so poignantly, as she believes Archer dead after going on the 'suicide mission' in the Xindi Insectoid pod down to the Weapon locale underwater...to me, this was importantly a testament to the feelings, not just as a first officer to her captain, but from a friend to a 'lost friend', T'Pol had developed over their journey for Jonathan....yes, Vulcans still have to be Vulcans, essentially, to be true to how they were created for ST..but to me it's wonderful to get a glimpse of the feelings we know they have for those they do care about, and for.....Another case in point, the great Voyager ep, ''Riddles'', in which Tuvok is stripped down mentally and emotionally to almost a child-like state...not great in the act that caused it, but to see Tim playing his character as Neelix had always wished he could be...a true friend, who appreciated him. It was a nice interlude...