Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

How Would You Rate "Home"? **SPOILERS**

What rating would you give "Home" out of 10?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Home" out of 10?

INTRO:

This is Captain Bolivar here with the polls for tonight's episode of Enterprise! The last to poll sessions were FILLED with SPOILERS regarding the very topic. So when a spoiler actually contains an UPCOMING episode, a person cannot tell the difference. So we're gonna try something a little different...

WARNING:

TONIGHT, ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THIS EPISODE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN A SPOILER. SO BE PREPARED!

HOWEVER, ANY INFORMATION FROM UPCOMING EPISODES MUST BE IN A SPOILER AS USUAL!

Sorry to any members who are inconvenienced by this. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to send them my way, or to a moderator.

MY REVIEW:

I was waiting impatiently for this episode. Last season almost every episode included phase pistol fire, and the season opener was no different. It had a great deal of action, which is good, but not much talk, which is bad. I knew "Home" would be different. And I was right!

This episode dealt alot with character issues, which is definitely required after their rough mission. So I was happy with that. There are 4 character issues that I was most glad to see:

1. Archer dealing with some of the actions he had to take in the expanse. It was believable for him to wish to be his "old exploring self"

2. T'Pol, while different now, is still a Vulcan and as such, cannot completely disregard Vulcan values. While you have to feel bad for Trip, T'Pol actions regarding her fiancee make sense, to this point. For a person who does not have emotions, the need to marry based on love is non-existent. To follow through with the prearranged marriage is the most practical action (for her, her mother, and her fiancee) and therefore most logical. Perhaps she will realize that for Trip, it is impractical and unfair; and, therefore illogical.

3. Malcom returned to his usual needy self by trying to pick up chicks at bars. :frusty: This isn't really a character issue, but it was an issue when he DIDN'T have the chance to do this - cause it's just what he does.

4. Archer getting a girlfriend. He seems like the type of Captain that should have a strong woman at his side. Let's not go stag like Picard... please.

As for the episode on a whole, I think it was great! It seemed very fresh, very original, and very BELIEVABLE. I believed every single character interaction except for the trouble maker at the bar. But, that brings to mind another point: This episode had a MESSAGE! After 9/11, prejudice towards people of middle-eastern descent skyrocketed. What happened in the bar, although an exaggeration to get the point across, was the SAME THING, but seen from a different perspective: the VICTIMS. Any viewer that may have been a part of this kind of racism in the past might have seen how it this was unfair to Phlox, and thus, to people in the real world. TV with a message: an unusual thing today!

MY RATING:

9.5/10 (almost worth a 10, but it didn't move me deeply enough to earn a perfect score.)

Edited by Captain Bolivar

Okay, I'll start things off. I gave it an 8. I enojyed it. It's nice to know that T'Pol was always somewhat emotional.

When this season started, I was worried that the writers/directors would forget about the past seasons because of poor ratings. This proved me wrong. Archer's dream about the Xindi was a nice touch. As was T'Pol's fiancé.

Another touch I enjoyed was the vision of Earth that wasn't all nice. People were xenophobic, not all happy-golucky. In was an interesting take.

I liked the Phlox face trick. If anyone can get a picture of that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Click For Spoiler
I can't believe that T'Pol actually went through with the marriage. Although I suppose it could be justified, I didn't like it. I am eagerly waiting the three-parter involving the Vulcan "Reformation", as I think that this issue will be brought up again. This marriage was based on tradition and it seems to me from what I've heard that this revolution will be about going back to traditional values. Will this mean that T'Pol will be supporting the marriage?

Again, good episode.

Poor Trip. When is he going to catch a break? :frusty: I certainly wasn't expecting that thing Phlox did :laugh: Certainly caught everyone's attention didn't he? :huh: Overall I think it was a very good episode.

The High Council reminded me of the British Admiralty of the 1800's when Horatio Hornblower was on trial. :P I couldn't believe my ears when Archer called that guy a profanity, good for him. :frusty: What a bunch of ******! I was glad to see so much romance in tonight's show, it's about time!! :o I know alot of you aren't happy about it though.

post-897-1098501329.jpg I loved Phlox's 'Puffy Look'post-897-1098501362.jpg :laugh: He looked like a lizard there for a second.

I thought Joanna Cassidy made a great Mom for T'Pol. and I don't think or I'm not really sure that the marriage had actually taken place, another 'Cliff-Hanger'. {Someone said it did??? :P } I have a feeling the 'Fight to the Death' may still happen, I hope, I hope, I hope. Poor Trip :huh: when she kissed him, I felt my heart sink. :P

Lordy, Lordy,Lordy. If I could have given it an '11', I would have! :wow: I loved it.

Edited by mj

Click For Spoiler
I liked it! I gave it a 10. I loved it. But the thing about Phlox doing the puffy thing came to me as a shock. Where was Hoshi ? Oh ya.... she only got one scene. Overall it was great.

I don't know if that spoiler feature was needed for this toipc but I used the spoiler button anyway.

Edited by Cougar

Please tell me that was a two-parter. Please tell me

Click For Spoiler
T'Pal did not get married! I haven't been this bummed since KJA busted up Luke and Callista.

I did give it an eight, which is a good episode in my book. I reserve the higher numbers for the fantastic episodes.

Ok...usually i'm hard on Enterprise...but tonight's "home' was excellent..I gave it a 9..I loved the new Bridge look....looking more and more like the NCC-1701 bridge...and I loved the plug of Jeffries being a designer of the NX...that was a great tribute too. The 'Puff Daddy' look of Phlox was great too. Was the story written by Coto? Couldn't have been 'the usual suspects'-B&B. Anyway, if that Vulcan Marriage Rite don't have a 'does anyone object' clause in it.....Trip needs to whip out a phase pistol (set on stun of course) and get her out of Dodge...That wedding has got to be crashed!

Outstanding. 9 out of 10. I'm liking Archer a lot right now.

Click For Spoiler
Oh Trip, my heart melted when you said you didn't want to put T'Pol under anymore pressure than she was already under. You are the quintessential gentleman. Loved the xenophobic humans, too.

Even at 60+, Joanna Cassidy is a babe.

8.5 Not the best Trek episode, but it did deal with some very important issues, and showed that not everything ends with a happy ending. I wish that it had gone just a little bit more into Vulcan culture, but the puffer-fish imitiation that Phlox did made up for that! :frusty:

I look forward to seeing more.

I gave it a seven - didn't care for it too much.

But I love Vulcan architecture - T'Pol's mother's home was awesome.

I thought the guy in the bar was too much - they were preaching at us in too obvious a manner. I don't go to bars so maybe I'm out of touch with how people act but it seemed contrived to me.

I doubt they go through with the marriage. But IMO they've never laid sufficient foundation for the Trip/T'Pol relationship so I didn't feel any emotion to the story. I could do without a whole episode devoted to soap opera themes.

I gave it a seven - didn't care for it too much.

But I love Vulcan architecture - T'Pol's mother's home was awesome.

I thought the guy in the bar was too much - they were preaching at us in too obvious a manner.  I don't go to bars so maybe I'm out of touch with how people act but it seemed contrived to me.

I doubt they go through with the marriage.  But IMO they've never laid sufficient foundation for the Trip/T'Pol relationship so I didn't feel any emotion to the story.  I could do without a whole episode devoted to soap opera themes.

274855[/snapback]

As for the "not going to bars" thing, I do go to bars, and usually you will only find something like that occuring during times of hightened stress. Kinda when the U.S. actually invaded Iraq. The guy who owned the liquor store less than a block away from the bar I used to frequent was middle-eastern (Iranian, I believe, but many of America's more ignorant populace saw no difference), and got a lot of crap about the war on "terror." His business dropped, and a lot of people would drop by to verbally harrass him.

"Home" made that kind of prejudice very blatant, although using a sci-fi back-drop. Sometimes people need to be preached at using simple layman's terms, even if it's offensive. What's the point of being politically corrent if you can't teach anyone?

Guest Mike_Hines01

I gave this episode a 9.5. I liked it, it made a nice change to all the tension and fighting of season 3, even though I enjoyed season 3 a lot.

I'm giving this show a 9..I thought it was a fantastic show with a few surprises..I just wasn't crazy about how it ended..

After an extremely long hiatus, I have returned to the reviewing bit. To begin at the end, my reactions to the credits were as follows:

"... WHAT THE?!?!?!?!?!?!"

"HUH?"

"GAAAAAHH!! NOOO!!!!!"

Click For Spoiler

Ahem, yes, now to skip back. The beginning was a nice little setpiece. It drove home all of what the crew went through last season. You can feel the people's joy to be home. Yeah, I think Archer's speech could be better, but, hey, it got the job done (we can't all be Bill Pullman in Independence Day). After the theme rolls, we immediately split the storyline into three segments (two primary arcs and a short episode) that are intercut but not interrelated.

The first primary arc of the episode focusses primarily on Archer and the effects of the ordeal of last season on his character. In the very first scene of the debriefing this is emphasized. Archer is anxious to defend himself not only to the Vulcan Ambassador but also TO HIMSELF. Soval's accusation is Archer's as well. Archer is a man of principles, yet repeatedly on his last mission he had to violate those principles in the name of his mission. He is tormented by the irony of what he had to do and what he should have done. This is never an easy question, and it's pleasant to see it brought up in this episode. Do I believe he made the right decision? Absolutely. If he hadn't taken the warp drive and tortured the thief, the spherebuilders would have slaughtered the Galaxy's population. But I digress. having said that Archer is man of principles, I do find it a little dubious that he basically finds solace in sex (that would seem to fall more in Malcolm and Merryweather's line). But I don't find it surprising, it is, after all, a cliche of war movies. Perhaps the writers will prove me wrong by actually having this relationship continue. I doubt it, though. For right now, the sex is just a distraction for Archer so he doesn't think about the fact that he doesn't have the answer yet.

I thoroughly enjoyed the short Phlox episode. It seems obvious now I've seen it, but kudos to the writers for realizing the massive wave of xenophobia that would occur if we were attacked by aliens. Just like it took some time for us to stop demonizing our enemies in World War 2 (yes, we still rag on Germans, but Japanese, Chinese, and Italian caricature is no longer in vogue). It's interesting to see this concept applied to our whole world.

I actually think this episode should have just focussed on the above two plots. I would have liked to see more of Hoshi too. Why? Because the second primary arc should have been an entire episode. Something this earthshaking to continuity should have more time to breathe! As it is, it's quite good.

Now I'm not sure how well the Trip-T'pol romance has been handled throughout the series. The best episode showcasing it was Similitude, Sim really loved T'pol. To me it was never really established that Trip loved T'pol. Certainly he was sexually attracted to her (shake hands with the Captain, remember when the writers were toying with Archer-T'pol. The whole landing-in-the-cleavage bit from Shadows of P'jem. Those were the days ... wait, no they weren't!), but I'll give it to them if for no other reasons than that they've worked together a whole lot the last season and that she trusted him with the knowledge of her engagement with Koss in the first season (a great moment from the beginning, that peecahn pie looked delicious). Alright, so I buy the romance. How about the extremely emotional climax. YES!!! BIG OL YES!! This is the best that Vulcans have been dealt with since the original series. T'pol, in this episode, forsook emotion for logic. And there is a certain inevitability to it all. Koss will not call off the wedding, so T'pol has three options. One, she can leave and forsake her Vulcan heritage, likely putting her family in even worse straits. Two, she can have Trip challenge, but that is no option, since there is little doubt he would be defeated. Three, she can marry Koss, save her family, continue her work, and be unhappy. The last has only an emotional impact, so T'pol made the most logical choice. Still, that ending was possibly even more shocking than the end of season 3. There are just so many ways you can go with this. Here's what I would like to see:

Right now Koss looks like a real jerk. He could see quite well that T'pol did not want him, yet he refused to back down even while uttering such hypocrisies as "I want you to be happy." Since we've got him, I don't want to just hit the reset buttoin. Soften up his character some, make him try to earn T'pol's love. Then let him come on board Enterprise and have Trip get to know him and respect him. Sure I would like to see Trip and T'pol get together, but I think it be more dramatic if the character died and then both persons mourned his passing. Not only the wife, but the would-be suitor. I REALLY don't want to suffer through another "it's adultery but he/she shouldn't be married" hypocrisy that I got in watching The Count of Monte Cristo (a plotpoint that was NOT in the book). It'll be interesting to see how this is developed (maybe we'll have a ratings miracle and get another season).

Altogether I give the episode an eight. I loved the Trip-T'pol arc (though it should have been an hourlong episode just focussing on them) and the Phlox part, though

I thought the Archer bit was a little out of character.

For next week, Brent looks fabulous. He looks like he may turn out to be the best villain of the series so far.

After watching all 7 seasons of DS9 in just a few months I am excited to see ENT heading in a more character driven direction. I think it's what we have all wanted to see for a long time. This episode was great IMO. I loved seeing the characters return home. Next weeks episode looks pretty good I can't wait. I gave it a 9.

Saw "HOME" tonight on UPN and i gave it a 10 ("the guy in the Bar was a bit to prejudice for my taste and couldn't leave Phlox alone")thinking he belonged with the Vulcan Table instead of with Malcolm and the other guy and it certainly caught me off guard when Phlox made his face Big was sort of funny and unusual all at the same time was nice seeing more of Vulcan again the Background was amazing with the Big Statues and getting to know more of the Vulcan Culture and especially was nice hearing them speak The Language Vulcan hadn't heard it since ST:TMP-ST II:TWOK and the Romance was also fairly good needed after so much action.

:frusty::laugh: :huh: :P

I can't believe

Click For Spoiler
T'pol married that dorky guy.
I don't care what the circumstances were. That guy was dorky!

I gave the episode an 8.

Click For Spoiler
An overall good plot of dealing with personal issues of the characters. I loved the Archer/ Erika dynamic once the started climing. Great to see the Columbia also hopefully we'll get a chance to see her in once she's on her feet and running. The end scene with T'Pol getting married was very touching, especially with T'Pol kissing Trip before the ceremony and then seeing Trip have to watch while knowing that he wanted more than anything to break it up. The Xenophobia issue with Phlox at the bar was very interesting. It brings back memories of an episode of Babylon 5 were humans were accused of allowing crimes against aliens. This could be an interesting arc to watch with the development of the Federation.

Click For Spoiler
The major downside of this episode was a major one-two hit of over done acting and poorly written scripts. Each of the three plot lines the episode followed had one of these moments. Moments like the bar w/ Reed, Mayweather, and Phlox, Trip deciding to go with T'Pol to Vulcan, and Archer getting on Soval's case during the mission debriefing. Also T'Pol's mother had alot of emotion in her acting and the issue of Vulcans lying comes up again w/ T'Pol's mother and her resignation.

However despite these low points, I still enjoyed the episode. A good emotional and calmed down episode.

I gave the episode an 8.5. I liked it for the most part, but just wasn't awed by it.

Click For Spoiler

Click For Spoiler
The dark clouds break. A bright light descends from the heavens to the TV-watching audience below. The light sits upon a mountain summit. The light fades and a handsome dashing figure appears. Who is it? Oh, of course, it can only one man. His Royal Highness The King stands above all and begins to speak in a booming voice:

"People....it is now time for me to comment on another episode!!!!!"

ENT Season Four

"Home"

After the torture inflicted upon me from "Storm Front Part I and II" over the past two weeks, this next episode of ENT HAD to be an improvement, since it would take another "Shades Of Grey" to be any worse.

When Archer and the NX-01 crew returned home, after the heroes welcome for a job well done in the Delphic Expanse there was a deleted scene that may be included in the DVD. It goes something like this:

His Royal Highness: "Congratulations Captain Archer for saving humanity".

Archer: "Thankyou, My Lord, it's nice to be appreciated by someone of your grace, wisdom, and intelligence. It means the world to me. May I have a signed photo?"

His Royal Highness: "Of course, dear boy. It shall be done"

I have my picture taken with him. I sign it and he looks at it with a big smile and tears in his eyes.

Archer: "Sire, this is the greatest day of my life. This photo will be placed in my ready room for all to see".

His Royal Highness: "Erm....how many people will see it?"

Archer: "Millions and millions and millions and millions"

His Royal Highness: "Uhhh, Archer, I have something to tell you"

Archer: "What my lord?"

I whisper in his ear. His face goes pale and sickly.

Archer: "WE WERE CANCELLED??? OH MY GOD!!!!!!" :P

Archer faints.

Now, moving on. The less said about the Trip / T'Porn soap opera the better. Actually, I won't say anything about it. I could, but my eyes would begin to bleed and I would convulse. I'm sure all you T&T 'shippers will weep over this kind of nonsense, thankfully I do not.

The Columbia. I thought it was a nice touch the name the sister ship after the lost shuttle. Also, I saw the Columbia "patch" on another site. I do like the idea that every NX vessel has it's own logo. It serves to distinguish them from each other. I think it's a good concept.

Soval. This guy annoys me. His emotions are all over the place. One moment he's logical and the next he's angry. This started in the very first episode. Blaming Archer for not doing enough to save Vulcans when the crew lost so many members trying to save the entire timeline is highly illogical. Maybe he forgot he was a Vulcan? Between Soval's moodswings and T'Porn's actions, the Vulcans have been treated with contempt during the course of this show.

The idea of Archer being emotionally affected by a dangerous mission and returning to Earth to try and overcome them is ripped off directly from the TNG episode "Family". Although that episode did it so much better. A rehash of a better plot.

An important inclusion in this episode was the racism encountered in the bar towards Phlox. This makes perfect sense. After the Xindi attack on Earth, it's perfectly logical that some humans would be hostile towards aliens. In fact, this type of thing would probably have started after Cochrane made contact with Vulcans in Montana. It also sets up plot elements later in this final season where a faction of humanity does not want the Federation to be created, so including this scene was a wise decision. Though, Phlox expanding his face reminds me of Neelix-type idiocy, so that should not have been included.

Overall, this episode gets a rating of.....2

Sign in to follow this