Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~~ EDEN ~~

All eyes in the washroom turned toward Kaitlyn, along with several exclamations of "What?!" and "You're kidding!".

"I'm serious!" she said breathlessly. "The girl alien had a baby. Come on! Come see for yourselves!" All of them followed her at once to the barn, and soon Able returned with the men and boys. Eveyone stood around the cages, staring, open-mouthed, at the sight before them. It took a few moments for the shock to wear off, but when it did everyone was very cueious, and kept looking at the baby and asking Able and Kaitlyn questions a mile a minute.

No one left the barn for nearly an hour. Having so many people that close scared the little aliens though, and finally Lida and Becka shooed everyone back to their jobs, once again leaving Kaitlyn and Able alone with Eden's guests. The two of them sat near the combined cages, still watching the new parents and thier baby. Kaitlyn was begining to think that these little guys had nothing to do with the mass abduction of eath's population.

"Cute, isn't it?" Able said.

"Yeah, if you call green, scaly, and alien cute."

Able laughed,"You're funny."

Kaitlyn raised an eyebrow. "This situation with these things is even funnier."

Able laughed again,"That's one of the things I like about you, Kaitlyn."

Kaitlyn looked at Able in surprise. "You like me?"

Able stopped laughing and blushed slightly. "That's not what I said.."

"Yes it is. Basically, anyway."

The boy sighed in frustration. "Oh all right." Then he smiled, "I guess I do like you, Kaitlyn."

Kaitlyn smiled. "Good. I like you, too, Able."

The two teenagers laughed and talked, while continuing to keep watch over the aliens.

Becka had found something in one of the kitchen drawers. Something she wished she had a long time ago. It was a large metal triangle with a chain on top and a metal rod hanging from another chain. It was a "Dinner bell" of sorts. The kind you hang outside to call everyone in for meals. She had hung it up on the overhang of the back porch and started to clang it. No one knew what this strange new sound was and came running to investigate. She stood there smiling. It was time for supper and everyone came in, even Kaitlyn and Able. They figured the aliens would be alright for a while alone and they'd bring them leftovers, whatever they might be.

At the table everyone asked how the baby was doing. Kaitlyn and Able acted like they were the new parents and told everyone about the cute little things they were doing. Becka had scooped out a large portion of chicken pie for the aliens and set it in a bowl near the back door for them to take back out to the barn with them. And some apples and a wedge of cheese. Able and Kaitlyn were missing the family times they were so used to now. I mean their Human family. So they hung around in the kitchen for a while after the meal was over and helped clean up.

"Well, I guess we'd better get back out to the barn and feed them, don't you think Able?" Kaitlyn asked. "Yep, let's go." He answered. They took the food and went out the back door.

When to their shock and bordering on horror they saw something. During supper the female had expelled another 6 babies. They were all huddled together in the cage. :) So now there were 7 babies in 2 days. Able and Kaitlyn looked at each other :waaaa: Then at the babies. "Uh OH." Able said. "Looks like we may have a Tribble Problem here." :o They went running back into the house. "Aaron, Aaron, we need a bigger cage. The female just had 6 more babies and that cage is just too small. Can you make another one right away?" Kaitlyn asked him. Aaron and Abe and nik and Ilikeseven and everyone else followed them back to the barn to see the new arrivals. No one really believed it until they saw them.

"OK, let's get busy guys, we need to build them a new cage Tonight." Aaron said. They all went to the workshop and started cutting wire and making a wood frame for it. Within 2 hours it was finished. A nice door with a latch and everything. And a wooden floor, not just chickenwire. :waaaa: They brought it in and Kaitlyn and Able took the babies out one by one. Kaitlyn put one of her blankets on it's floor to make a nice bed for them. The parents just ran in by themselves.

Everyone fawned and gushed over the new arrivals. The parents were very protective of them and didn't want people picking them up. But they were very cute and sweet. So far there were no aggressive signs by the aliens towards the humans. Like a wild animal that might be caught here on Earth. Now that all 9 of them were in one cage. They seemed to be very good parents.

Everyone was tired and the novelty of these little green creatures was beginning to wear off. So after a brief visit with them that night most of the children decided to go to bed in the house. Kaitlyn and Able still wanted to stay in the barn with them. Everyone settled into their beds. Kailyn and Able flanked the new cage with they beds on top of the hay floor and went to sleep.

The next morning. "OH My. :waaaa: Looks like Mama was busy, AGAIN." Kaitlyn looked in the cage as soon as she opened her eyes. Then she counted, 12 more babies were in there. :waaaa: So now there were 19 in 3 days. She called over to Able who was still asleep. "Able, Able, wake up!" He opened his eyes. "What? Let me sleep will ya?" He answered. "Able, there are 12 more babies, look." She told him. Able sat up and looked in the cage. " Holy Crap! Where're they all coming from?" He asked her. "Dunno." Kaitlyn answered. "Well, let's go in and start breakfast. I don't think anyone else is awake yet." She suggested. "O.K., I'm hungry anyway. What ya want to make?" Able asked. "How about hot cereal?" She answered. "Let me get the fire up in here first, then I'll come in, alright?" He asked her. "Sure, see ya inside and don't take all day either." She told him.

Now there were 21 aliens in the barn. Almost as many aliens as there are people at Eden.

Hearing Kaitlyn down in the kitchen making familiar noises with the the pots and dishes Becka was the first one down. "Morning. How are the babies this morning?" She asked her. "Twelve more overnight." She told her. Becka looked like this :P !!! Then said. "Good thing they made a bigger cage, huh?" :yes: Kaitlyn then said. "Becka, what if they just keep having babies? What will we do with them all?" Becka thought a minute then answered. "Don't know dear. We may just have to let them all go." Just then Able came running into the kitchen. "She's at it again out there. Six more in the past ten minutes. :P That's 27 now."

The girls came down, then Abe and ILikeSeven and Chrissy and Sabe and Mellie. Then Aaron, Bart and Cain. Becka told everyone what was happening and everyone stood there speachless.

Becka started making scrambeled eggs and had Kaitlyn slice up a slab of bacon to fry. She sent Addie and Beth to the cellar to get jars of Cranberry juice and peaches and a wheel of cheeze.

"Mother?" Abe said. "We've got the wool already for you to start spinning into yarn, you ready today to start that?" Becka then answered. " You get the wheels down from the attic and we'll get started after breakfast. Set them up in the parlor, alright?" She asked him. The girls, her girls, had done this before. Kaitlyn, and Addie hadn't. Lida and Chrissy were looking forward to this too.

Able, Aaron, ILikeSeven and nik went up to the attic and brought down the spinning wheels. And also brought down the looms to set up in the parlor. Then went out back to bring in the large burlap sacks of wool and piled them in the middle of the large room.

Edited by Jeanway

Lida walked out to the barn after breakfast. She wanted to see the babies. Everyone else was still in the kitchen. She was alone with them. She sat down beside the cage and rested her head on her hands and began to talk softly to the Mama. She thought to herself what an amazing experience this is to see creatures from another world living right here in the barn. She asked the Mama, "Where did you come from, little one?" The aliens eyes began to glow a soft green and she spoke to Lida. In a sqeaky, timid little voice she tried to repeat the words Lida just said. "Come from." It repeated. :P Lida looked around the barn to see if anyone else had come in and heard this too. But no one had. Lida asked her again. "Yes, where did you come from, that's right." The little creature repeated again "Yes, come from." Lida got all excited now and said. "Do you understand me?" It answered her. "Yes, understand come from." Lida was ecstatic now. Should she stay there and try to communicate with her or go get everyone. "No, I'll stay right here." She said to herself outloud. "Stay here, understand yes come from." The creature said again. :P "You don't understand what I'm saying but you copy what I say, right?" She asked her. Again the little creature spoke, each time adding a little more of what Lida had just said. " Yes, copy understand stay come from." It said. "Your learning, aren't you?" Lida asked. And again it said. "Yes, learning understand come from stay." Then the barn door opened and the two elves came running in and stood in front of the cage. "You want something?" Lida asked. "Nope just came to check out the new kids, that's all, it that alright with you Missy?" One of them said sarcastically. "Cute, Yep, cute." He said then the two of them ran back out the door and slammed it shut. Lida looked back down into the cage. The Mama was shivering in fear. "You afraid of them?" She asked her. The creatures eye glowed and even brighter green this time. "Oh, I didn't know. I'll keep them away from you from now on, alright little one?" Lida said to her. The little creature smiled and said. "Yes, understand afraid." She said back to her. "I'll take care of it, don't worry." Lida said to the Mama, got up and left the barn.

Edited by Jeanway

Lida went back in the house. She stood in the middle of the kitchen. "Alright everybody, listen up. I just had a conversation with the female alien and she is afraid of the Elves. I don't know why but I have a pretty good idea. So it's up to ALL of us to make sure we keep them out of the barn and away from the aliens. Can we all do that?" She asked.

Everyone just stood there, their mouths hanging open. "What do you mean you had a conversation?" Kaitlyn asked. "They never spoke when I was with them." Lida then told her and everyone what just happened. "I think they have been listening to you and Able talking but never said anything until now." Lida summized. "Well, if they can talk then they can tell us what happened, don't you think Lida?" Able asked. "I think they are mimicking us but if they can do that then eventually they will learn our language, hopefully enough to tell us what they know." Lida said.

Edited by Jeanway

post-897-1102816774.jpgnik went outside to find the elves and have a talk with them.post-897-1102816774.jpg

post-897-1102816664.gifThe women went into the parlor and watched as the men assembled the looms and set up the spinning wheels.post-897-1102816627.jpg Everything was all set now and Becka stood up and started to talk about what they were all going to be doing.post-897-1102816585.jpg

Kaitlyn and Able headed back outside to the Barn with the aliens breakfast.

Edited by Jeanway

Addie fed Lida the raw wool through her tiny fingers and Lida twisted it in the way Becka instructed everyone. Slowly the wheel turned and it wound around the huge wheel. "This is sort of fun, isn't it Addie?" Lida asked. "Yea, but I'm hungry. I wish I had some cake. Don't you Lida? We got any cake in the kitchen Lida? I want some cake." Addie kept going on and on about wanting cake. "Cake sounds to be a good idea, what kind Addie?" Becka asked. "How about gingerbread? I love gingerbread. I haven't had any since the last time My Mum made it." Addie said sadly then began to cry. "Oh, Sweetheart." Lida said. "Don't cry. How about you and I take a break and go make some? Would you like that?" Lida asked. Addie stopped crying and Lida looked over at Becka and Chrissy who were also getting weepy. "Go on you two. We can handle this. Go make some gingerbread." Becka insisted. Both Lida and Addie took off for the kitchen.

"This wood basket is empty!" Lida yelled . "Where's Aaron? AARON, where are you?" She yelled. "And where are the boys? There should never be an empty wood basket in here." She yelled again. Addie took off out the backdoor to find Aaron. She looked around and he was outback chopping wood with the elves and nik. A minute later the wood basket was full and the stove blazing. Addie came in, headed for her mother's recipe box and started looking through her recipes. Running her tiny fingertips over her mother's writing, examining each word and crying again. :P "Lida?" Addie asked. "Yes?" Lida answered. "You think the aliens would like some gingerbread too?" Lida looked at Addie, her heart hurt for the little girl. :P

Edited by Jeanway

The smell of gingerbread baking filled the house. The men started milling around outside the back door. It was getting close to lunchtime now an Becka was so involved with her spinning and chattering with Chrissy and Kate she lost all track of the time. "OH My Heavens. We have to get lunch started. " Becka said as she put down the yarn and headed for the kitchen. She looked around for a minute trying to decide what to make. "Grilled cheese sandwiches sound good for everybody?" She asked. Everyone said that was fine. Becka sent Abbie and Beth to the cellar for the cheese and she started slicing the loaves of bread. "Get out the griddle will you Chrissy? It's in the pantry." Becka asked. She could make 12 sandwiches at a time on it so it was fast. Becka yelled out the backdoor to Bill and Lenny who were standing around out there to go get a couple cans of milk from the barn. With 23 people in the house she'd need to make about 50 sandwiches. Kate and Becka and Chrissy worked like an assembly line. :P Kate frequently made comments on her lack of cooking skills. Things like "I couldn't even make one of these with a replicator." Everyone laughed. :P

Edited by Jeanway

Something occured to Lida that night just as she was falling asleep. The candle flickered on her dresser and the woman in the mirror's face shown in her mirror and her eyes began to glow green just as did the aliens and yesterday as the elves stood in the barn next to the cage. Funny she hadn't noticed this before. Was the woman in the mirror trying to tell Lida something? Lida got up off her bed and walked to the mirror. The man suddenly appeared next to her. His eyes began to glow green as well. :P "You know something, don't you?" She asked them. They smiled and nodded "yes" :yes: :yes: But what???? :P

Nothing remarkable happened for the following week. Except that the little female alien kept right on having babies. Averaging 15 to 20 in any 24 hour period. So by the end of the week there were so many that no one could count them. But there were at least 150 babies now. They had taken over the entire lower floor of the barn. The men resigned themselves to the fact that they had to either build more cages or build a pen or stall to house them all. Whenever they suggested letting them just run off into the woods they met with so much resistance from all the women and girls in the house they just decided to "Build a pen" :P and keep their big yaps shut about it. :P :P That's what they were told, on many occasions. :laugh:

Lida kept her eye on the elves. With so many babies now they could do alot of damage in a short period of time if they saw the opportunity. It was obvious the elves had malicious mayhem on their minds. But everyone now knew this and were constantly on guard. Kaitlyn and Able still resided in the barn most of the time. The elves were locked in the smoke-house each night before sundown and the loft usually had a few people up there during the day or evenings on the computers talking with other STF.Net members on the site. They gave everyone the updates on the aliens and how many new babies there were each day. AND the fact that the Mama Alien was being taught how to speak and understand English. She was eager to learn, not like the male, the daddy, who just watched and never spoke. It seems the males of this species were very passive.

Many theories about what happened were floating around the site. And many new threads were started with specualtions on what did happen to everyone who disappeared and why only the STF.Net members were left on Earth. There were a few very serious members who were trying to investigate and one member had something he wasn't quite ready to divulge to the rest of the members. He said "I'm workin on it, I'll get back to you when I 've figured this out." That member was headborg. :P

The next morning, the elves and Nik were up early and busily woking in the field. Nik was using a crowbar to take apart an old wooden fence lining the pasture, and the elves were behind him converting the wood into toys - video game systems, computers, remote controlled vehicles, a dirtbike, and other assorted action figures and playsets freshly packaged. The children were running around asking questions, and Nik talked while he worked.

" .... so anyway, after Kringle went into the klink, Mrs. Clause took up with this news reporter from Roddenberry. Last I heard, she was making him a real nice wife. You ain't seen nothing until you seen Mrs. Clause in a -"

"Hey lardass!" One of the elves shouted, interrupting Nik. "Aren't you forgetting something?" The elf ran up to Nik, his work apron flying in the cold midwest wind. Nik bent over while the elf whispered into his ear.

"Oh, sh**!" Nik exclaimed. "You're right!" Nik reached into his back pocket and pulled out a folded manual. He mumbled to himself as he flipped through the pages.

"... see here.... undergarments.... videos.... Vixen..... Ah! Here we are!" He read for a few minutes, then stepped onto a nearby stump. Placing his fingers between his teeth, he whistled loudly into the wind and began shouting.

"Now Dasher! Now Dancer! Now......" Nik paused and flipped through his book before continuing.

"....now Prancer and Vixen! On, Comet! on Cupid! on, Donder and (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)in'!" Nik was stepping off the stump as an elf ran up and whispered something else into his ear. Nik's eyes widened slightly, and he stepped back onto the stump.

"BLITZEN!" He corrected himself into the wind.

"How long will it take 'em to get here?" Nik asked an elf as he leaned against the fence drinking a can of beer.

"Pulling that ugly-*buttocks* Gremlin?" The elf began. "... half a day." He took a long swig of beer and got back to work.

One of girls ran up to Nik and tugged on his jeans.

"What's all the toys for?" She asked.

A twinkle appeared in Nik's eyes and for a brief instant his tough exterior melted as he glanced at the girl. The elves stood upright proudly as Nik looked around.

"Eleven more days 'til the big day, little miss!", Nik bellowed. "This is the time 'o year when these boys shine!" Nik gestured to the smiling elves. Nik walked over to the fence, reached into the pocket of his leather jacket, and pulled out a handful of candy canes, and passed them out to the children.

"Alright boys!" Back to work. "Then we'll sit back and have some of my special

home-brewed eggnog!"

Nik and the elves continued their labors into the afternoon. At that time, an object could be seen in the sky. As it approached, the image of a lime-green Gremlin pulled by eight reindeer could be made out. Nik and the elves stood and looked at the approaching vehicle.

".... Hope the boys back home remembered to put the keg in the back." Nik mumbled.

After dinner the men went outside for a smoke and Chrissy and Becka cleaned up the kitchen.

Lida was sitting like a zombie in her chair, her face was pale and her eyes where a little red swolen.

Chrissy went to her and said "Now listen girl, you look a little tired to me, you go striad to bed and get some rest, Becka me and kate will finish here." Chrissy walked to a cuboard and opened it she takes out a small bottle.

"Here" as she poors out from the bottle in to a little glass "drink this, it is made out of herbes and it will relax you" Lida takes a sip of it and starts to chough" oohh thats strong!!"

Chrissy started to grin "hmmm yes i know, but it works, now go to the laundryroom, ILS has made you a hot bath, you will have the room for you alone for 1,5 hours, after that you will go to bed and rest, we will wake you tomorrow when lunche is served.

Lida went upstairs into the bathroom and saw a hot steaming bath for her alone.

Chrissy went outside to the men"OKEY YOU GUYS GET YOU BUTTS INSIDEHERE!!!"

They all turned around in a little shock and saw Chrissy standing in the doorway

"Yes all of yo now inside!!"

ILS came down the stairs and saw his wife holdoing a speeche to the all the men,

"uho there she goes" he thought, he turned slowly around to get upstairs again without being seen "AND THAT GOES FOR YOU ALSO ILS!!" Chrissy yelled as she saw him crawling upstairs again.

"w..what hunny??" ILS said

"ALL OFF YOU GUYS ARE GETTING A BUCKET WITH WATER AND I WANT TO SEE THIS HOUSE CLEEN IN 2 HOURS, THAT MEANS SCRUBBING THE FLOOR, DUSTING, AND CLEANING ALL THE WINDOWS."

"AND YOU NIK, YOU MAKE SURE THE WINDOW ARE CLEANE FROM THE OUTSIDE,IT WERE YOURE ELFES WHO THROUGH FOOD AGAINST IT. (silence)

Becka and Kate looked at Chrissy :)

Chrissy turned to them and said in a soft voice " Lets bring the children to bed, and after that we will make a nice evening walk, we have to get dressed warm becouse it is a little chilly outside but if we come back the house will be clean" she turns to the men and said "CLEAN AS IN TIDY AND NEAT"

Edited by ILIKESEVEN

The women rushed the children to bed, and Kaitlyn and Able parted at the top of the stairs with a friendly "good night". Since that day in the barn when they had discovered that they shared thier feeling for each other, thier friendship had bloomed. Kaitlyn walked into the girls' room smiling, and the rest fo the girls looked at her with envy.

"You're so lucky," Abigail said as the two of them got into bed. "Ther aren't any boys here for the rest of us."

"He's not my boyfriend, Abbie," Kaitlyn whispered. "He's just a good friend. Why are you guys making such a big deal out of it?"

The next morning, Nik and the elves were up early again working. One elf had the hood of Nik’s Gremlin open and was standing on the bumper leaning over the engine working. The second elf was sitting on the porch with a handheld computer. He wore a pair of reading glasses as he looked at the screen. Nik was busy touching up the flames painted on the side of the Gremlin. Several of the children were running about the reindeer lazily lounging about the lawn, petting them occasionally, and feeding them alfalfa.

“Hey, fat boy!” The elf working on the car spoke. “Hand me the sub-singularity transformation calibrator.”

“Huh?” Nik stopped painting and looked at the elf confused.

“The black thing with the handle, fatso!” The elf said. Nik handed the elf the tool and stood beside him looking under the hood. A very confused look crossed his face as he watched the elf work, and he scratched his head.

“Doesn’t look like any engine I’ve ever seen.” Nik mumbled. “What kinda gas does she run on?”

“Chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar, and oatmeal-raisin.” The elf wiped his hands on his apron. “I’ve also modified the injector to accept croissants, macaroons, bagels, and chocolate, since those are pretty popular in Europe.”

“Dang!” Nik shook his head and went back to work. The elf with the computer stood beside him.

“Hey lardass! What the hell is this? I’m showing 153 children in some obscure Sherpa village in southern Nepal….” The elf stared at Nik over the rim of his glasses.

“I thought I’d add them to the list this year…. Sorta stir things up a bit.”

“They don’t even believe in you.” The elf protested.

“They will this year!” Nik began chuckling and the elf shook his head from side-to-side as he scowled at the computer screen.

“Have they been nice?” The elf asked and Nik nodded.

“By the way, you got the girlie numbers yet?” Nik asked.

“Yeah, hold on.” the elf said and began punching numbers on the handheld. “Let’s see here….. ah! Here they are! The big winner this year is Paris Hilton.”

“Paris Hilton!” Nik roared. “That chicken-legged airhead!”

“Well… it’s the video.” The elf replied.

“I see.” Nik nodded. “Ok, who else.”

The elf scanned down his list. “Brooke Shields and Christie Brinkley are down for the fifth straight year owing to the fact that men in that demographic are getting old….. Halle Berry holding steady….. Angelina Jolie a big hit with the 12 to 18 year group – Tomb Raider….. big surprise this year is Kirsten Dunst.”

“Who?” Nik asked.

“The chic from Spiderman.”

“Oh right!” Nik said. “So anyway, give me the final numbers.”

“Ok.” The elf looked back at his handheld. “Worldwide we have 849,637,575 men wanting a chic for Christmas as their first choice. Of those, 170,456,123 want somebody local, such as a co-worker or classmate. The rest want famous people with Paris Hilton topping the list.”

Nik thought for a minute. “Alright, the guys who want local chics, get necklaces for the chics, but make it from the guy. Get the guys who want Paris Hilton inflatable dolls. Get the rest of ‘em Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Editions.”

“The elf chuckled and made notations.” As he walked away, Nik shouted.

“Hey!” he said. “Make sure you check that list twice!”

By the end of the second week, the alien count was in the thousands. They had taken over the entire barn and all the computers, generators and electronic equipment had to be moved over to the new loft in the new barn. No one wanted to sleep in the barn with them anymore. The constant squeeking and humming was driving everyone nuts. :dude: All the adults were ready to open the doors and let them run free but all the children wanted them to stay. :dude: This was a house divided.

Lida was still trying to teach the Mother of them all to speak English so she could get some answers but by this time the little female looked as though she were close to the end of her life. None of the other aliens could speak. It appeared to Lida that perhaps this female was a "Breeder". Maybe sent here to multiply then die. But Lida didn't tell anyone yet of her suspicions.

Kaitlyn went up to the new home of the computers and sat down at one near Abigail. She logged on to the site and immediatly her eyes widened. The familiar red out-lined bow popped up at the top of the screen telling her she had a new personal message. The screenname was one she barely remembered anymore, but as soon, as she loked at it meories came flooding back. Memories of the owner of that name, memories of her the last time she had seen her best friend.

"Tiffany," she whispered, and hastily clicked on the link to the message in her inbox. She joyfully scanned over the lengthy message, then went back and read it all carefully. Apparently Tiffany had been surviving by herself back in Mississippi, but now realized that she had to f=get to Eden. Only, she didn't know how.

Kaitlyn sent a PM back to Tiffany saying that she would do her best to find a way to get her there, and that she missed her a lot. As soon as that was done, she looked up to find that everyone else had left the loft. Hurridly she fled down the ladder and into the kithchen, wher supper was just about to start. She went staight to Lida and tugged on the woman's sleeve to get her attention.

"Lida!" she said.

"Yes, what is it, Kaitlyn, what are you so upset about?" Lida asked.

"I'm not upset, I'm happy!" Kaitlyn insisted. "Well, I guess I'm a little upset too." She shook her head, "Anyway, I just got a PM from my friend back in Mississippi! She and I were the only two people left in our town, and I told her what had happened, but she wouldn't come here with me. I've been worried sick about her since I left, and now I justa PM from her sayin that she wants to come to EDEN, but she doesn't have a way to."

"Oh dear," Lida said, frowning.

Kate who had heard what Kaitlyn had said, sighed and said. "If I were my character I could use my ship's transporters to beam her here, but I'm afraid that I'm not."

Kaitlyn smiled,"That's okay." Then she turned back to Lida, "So what can we do? Can we help her? We just have to a way to get her here, we just have to!"

"All right, all right," Lida said. "Calm down, girl. We'll find a way."

Kaitlyn nodded and started to head to the table, but then noticed a strange look pass over Lida's face, one of regret, sadnes, and something else she couldn't identify.

"Lida?" she asked.

"Mmm..?" Lida said. "Oh nothing." She sighed. "You'll find out at supper. Go sit down now."

Kaitlyn obeyed and silently went and sat down beside Abigail.

"Are you okay?" her freind asked.

"I'm fine," Kaitlyn said. "But I think there might be something wrong with Lida."

"What do you mean?"

"Never mind."