Sign in to follow this  
samdrake

A Super-Man

Back in 1978 a father took his nine year old son to the movie theatre and as an incredible musical score thundered in his heart this young child watched as a man caught a terrified woman as she was falling to her death. Then this man with a red "S" on his chest without any effort at all caught the helicopter that the woman fell out of.

In case you haven't guessed that nine year old boy was me, and at that time in that theatre Christopher Reeve made me believe a man could fly. Since that time I've seen him in many different roles and have appreciated him for his abilities as an actor, but in many ways life would imitate art as Cristopher Reeve was indeed a true hero. After his tragic accident many people would have simply given up in despair. Christopher Reeve choose to fight not only for himself, but for everybody who suffered from paralysis. I watched in amazement as he moved his legs during that TV Biography and I fully expected to see him walk one day. Unfortunately that would not be the case.

I never had the chance to meet Mr. Reeve, But I have and always will respect him for his work as an actor and his more important role as a champion for the paralysed. And I would like to have thanked him for making a nine year old boy believe a man could fly.