Sign in to follow this  
Wishfire

Klingons and Heavy Metal

Klingons prefer their own form of opera. But what would their reactions to Heavy Metal be? Many Metal songs touch the baser emotions, like anger and rage. Would the music itself, if not the lyrics, touch the Klingons in any way? Or would they just think it as noise?

They may not. Klingon opera is based on what the warrior has done in battle or major event. It is passing there history through music. It is the same as our oral traditions.

Yes, but many metal songs are refered to as "odes" and "ballads," so couldn't the Klingons use Heavy Metal to pass their history through the music using a musical form which would not only pass the history, but get the blood boiling?

I guess it would have to depend on the Klingon psyche, and whether or not it is in any way similar to that of a human.

I remember an episode on DS9 when Basir brought a another officer to a Klingon Restaurant. It was very far from heavy music. It had love and tender in it.

Hmm... I think that Klingons would appreciate the music of bands like Iron Maiden and Queensryche. Both bands tell stories in their songs and are very heavy.

One thing I'm positive of is that Klingons do not like showtunes! :biggrin:

I can just imagine Klingon-altered metal songs...

:biggrin: "Humans came,

'cross galaxy,

Brought us war,

Adversity... :heart:

:laugh: They shot our ships,

And made us scoff,

Then sent Tribbles,

To piss us off..." :heart:

If I ever heard such a thing, I don't know if I'd be able to stop laughing. :laugh:

They shot our ships,

And made us scoff,

Then sent Tribbles,

To piss us off..." 

:rolleyes:

Is that a take off on Maiden "Run To The Hills" or am I way off in my assumption?

Yeah, I always thought that Klingons would appreciate not necessarily metal as a whole but that more mature corner of the metal genre which combines storytelling, fantasy, opera, classical, a more theatric production than just jamming the same chord while whining about one's mother and/or father, like what the radio stations call "metal". I think they'd appreciate bands like:

Nightwish * Within Temptation * Sonata Arctica * Dream Theater * Kamelot * Iron Maiden

Most of these bands are relatively unknown, at least in America - likely most of you will only have heard of Iron Maiden.

Edited by Dark Reality

I've never heard the "heavy metal" and "mature" used in the same sentence before....... :welcome:

Edited by Kor37

I've heard of Nightwish, I have one of their cd's. I could see Klingons singing that. Or them changing words to Rammstein songs, and just using the back ground music, especially Mein Teil.