Sign in to follow this  
Cougar

Man Captain

Would the voyager still be interesting and successful if it had a man captain?

As I've said before, I think one of the best things about VOY was the strength of its female leads, so no. Besides, could you imagine all the jokes about a man getting lost and not stopping to ask for directions? It would've taken more than 7 years to get home (and I'm speaking as a male) :b-day: .

I think the Voyager writers were talented to make a captain of either sex work, would it have been as successful though, probably not.

As I've said before, I think one of the best things about VOY was the strength of its female leads, so no. Besides, could you imagine all the jokes about a man getting lost and not stopping to ask for directions? It would've taken more than 7 years to get home (and I'm speaking as a male) :b-day: .

269201[/snapback]

I have to agree with Ace on tha one he would look a bit foolish :b-day: ...but then again mabe a man would have got them home quicker because men are not that picky about how they get home,janeway was a bit to set in her ways.

I think that a male captain would have been less likely to bend the rules to get Voyager home. Janeway was the captain, but I thought of her almost a mother figure to the crew. She had to get them home and keep them safe but at the same time she was still a Starfleet captain and had a set of values to uphold. I don't think a male captain would have been quite as caring towards the crew. I think she did a good job, overall.

As I've said before, I think one of the best things about VOY was the strength of its female leads, so no. Besides, could you imagine all the jokes about a man getting lost and not stopping to ask for directions? It would've taken more than 7 years to get home (and I'm speaking as a male)

269201[/snapback]

I have to agree with Ace on tha one he would look a bit foolish :b-day: ...but then again mabe a man would have got them home quicker because men are not that picky about how they get home,janeway was a bit to set in her ways.

269267[/snapback]

WHAT?? :) Set in her ways???? :o What kind of thing is that to say about a Starfleet Captain, Hang???? :b-day: What Captain ISIN"T set in their ways??? HUH???? :b-day: CAPTAIN WISHY-WASHY???? :b-day: YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A MALE CAPTAIN WOULD HAVE DONE IN THAT SAME SITUATION, NOBODY DOES, NOW DO THEY???? :P GP HANG YOURSELF, HANG :P :b-day::b-day:

no...Voyager was great because it stood the gender roles on their ear...it was kool having the girls being aggressive and the guys just setting back and following orders......on the down side...it a man had been captain.....there probably would have been more "cat suits" and the series would have lasted longer....he wouldn't have pulled over to ask for directions home!

sorry for the double post...honestly..i hadn't read that other one......see he's right just another "pulling over to ask for directions" joke...

The only reason that Voyager was interresting in the first place was because of the fact that it feature a female captain. Another male captain would have been completely uninterresting.

As I've said before, I think one of the best things about VOY was the strength of its female leads, so no. Besides, could you imagine all the jokes about a man getting lost and not stopping to ask for directions? It would've taken more than 7 years to get home (and I'm speaking as a male)

269201[/snapback]

269267[/snapback]

WHAT?? :b-day: Set in her ways???? : What kind of thing is that to say about a Starfleet Captain, Hang???? :b-day: What Captain ISIN"T set in their ways??? HUH???? :b-day: CAPTAIN WISHY-WASHY????YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A MALE CAPTAIN WOULD HAVE DONE IN THAT SAME SITUATION, NOBODY DOES, NOW DO THEY???? GP HANG YOURSELF, HANG :P :P

269295[/snapback]

yeah she was IMO if you look at the captain of the equinox he was prepared to get his crew home by any means he could...but i guess my opinion was taken as a sexist remark but hang dont give a rats butt its my opinion and i will be d.amned if anyone changes it :b-day: :b-day:

Edited by hangon

Janeway was the first Female captain of a Series

since the other ones already had one Man Captains("Archer-Kirk-Picard-Sisko")so it was a decent change of pace having a female Captain there but maybe the trip might have been less than 7 years because with a Man as a Captain might have found a faster way to get home so it still might have been interesting to see.

:flowers::naughty::flowers::flowers:

Would the voyager still be interesting and successful if it had a man captain?

268268[/snapback]

Perhaps, perhaps not. I like Janeway and am glad she was there, she very much reminded me of Janice Lester (TOS) only without the psychosis.

Yes, a man would have made a better captain.

A man would have got Voyager home in the first episode.

:flowers:

269769[/snapback]

So true!

I think so.

I would have used the array to get home, then let the Kazon take it. Chances are that they wouldn't have been able to use it properly anyway, and the Caretaker was dying anyway, so it's possible the array would have shut down soon enough.

Or I would have planted some kind of explosive on the structure to detonate after I used it to get home. I'm sure those Cobalt devices could be rigged for a delay.

If the Kazon used it as a weapon, they probably were so aggressive, they would have killed each other in Sect wars, so they would have been eliminated as a threat to the Ocampa, who, without the Caretaker, would have developed their mental abilities to the point where they could take care of the Kazon anyway.

And while they did that, the crew would be back on Earth, happy.

:biggrin:

Which would have made Voyager the shortest series in the history of Star Trek. :heart::heart:

269769[/snapback]

:laugh::laugh:

Which would have made Voyager the shortest series in the history of Star Trek.

Hmmmm.

In Star Trek: Voyager's case, that may not have been such a bad thing.

Edited by The King

A ) Hey, I liked Voyager! :biggrin:

B ) You can't judge how a person will react based solely on their gender. I have a strong feeling Picard would've done it the same way Janeway did.

I too like Voyager just the way that it is..I am enjoying re-discovering all of the episodes with the DVDs..There are some fantastic shows there..

And I like Janeway..a lot..I am glad that there is a female captain on Voyager..I really can't imagine how a male captain could have done things any differently..And I can't imagine anyone as Captain besides Kathryn Janeway..She made the show..A very strong character in my opinion..

Between Bujold and Mulgrew, they did think about it.

Roxann tells the story that she was asked about taking over the Chakotay role, so they'd have had a female maquis first officer, as well as engineer to counteract the male captain.

Roxann tells the story that she was asked about taking over the Chakotay role, so they'd have had a female maquis first officer, as well as engineer to counteract the male  captain.

270763[/snapback]

Really ? Well, I'm glad they didn't do that..I like that there was a female captain on Voyager..I would have had a problem with Bujold as Captain but Mulgrew did a great job in my opinion..

I think it was a great idea to have a women as captain of VOY but if it would have been better with a man i dont really know but i do think a man would have tryed to get them home faster then janeway

Yeah, apparently Star Trek wasn't good enough for Bujold. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have wanted her on that show anyway.

Sorry, but who is "Bujold?"

Voyager was all about the female captain, wasn't it? A male captain wouldn't have given two cents for Janeway's moral conundrum ... he would have said the heck with this nonsense and used that array to get back home.

I liked Voyager ... I haven't seen a single episode since it went off the air, but we do plan to purchase the DVDs as soon as we have all the TNG and DS9 stuff.

Sorry, but who is "Bujold?"

Actress who was first cast as Janeway. In fact they had shot a lot of the first episode before they went with Mulgrew. In the special features of the first season DVD set they show a lot of the footage with Bujold..And it's a good thing they made the change..Voyager never would have made it..

...but then again mabe a man would have got them home quicker because men are not that picky about how they get home,janeway was a bit to set in her ways.

269267[/snapback]

So men are less likely to live by principles or to honor the commitments they have made to duty and responsibility?

QUOTE(The King @ Oct 7 2004, 12:45 PM)

Better is a relative term I guess, your post suggests that rather than indicating a person of principle "better" indicates a person who puts personal needs above the larger picture.

Neither of you guys speak too well of men, IMO. I have to agree with Ace, Picard (and many other men) would have done the same thing - but I'm not sure he would have second guessed himself as much as Janeway did.

...but then again mabe a man would have got them home quicker because men are not that picky about how they get home,janeway was a bit to set in her ways.

269267[/snapback]

So men are less likely to live by principles or to honor the commitments they have made to duty and responsibility?

QUOTE(The King @ Oct 7 2004, 12:45 PM)

Better is a relative term I guess, your post suggests that rather than indicating a person of principle "better" indicates a person who puts personal needs above the larger picture.

Neither of you guys speak too well of men, IMO. I have to agree with Ace, Picard (and many other men) would have done the same thing - but I'm not sure he would have second guessed himself as much as Janeway did.

271099[/snapback]

i dont think my post had anything to do with my opinion of men or women but then again i am a man so mabe i am speaking from my own experiances,again i point at the captain of the equinox as a refrence to what a male captain would do under the same sitution,i dont see anywhere in my post that says all men are like that and that all male captains would do that.