Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Guinan

Did you like Guinan?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like Guinan?

• No: she was a smug no-it-all who got on my nerves
    • Yes: she was a great addition to the show

Personally, I dont like Whoopi Goldberg. She just annoys me (Remember " Made in America"?!) This somewhat tainted my view of the character of Guinan. Guinan was an interesting minor character but I felt she sort of took away from the Character of Troi. And was a little too above it all. What did you think of her. And her crazy hats that you could serve drinks off! ;)

I really liked Guinan( but then i like Whoopi Goldberg too). I liked the fact that you didn't know much about her except for the longevity of the race. I thought the twist of her character in " Time's Arrow" was brilliant. Also the special relationship she had with Picard was good, the " did they or didn't they" dynamic of their relationship, and the fact that you never got an answer. He seemed to really respect her and trusted her judgement.Plus Q seemed to be afraid of her, and you knew despite her tranquil demeanour she was not one to be trifled with. A very mysterious character.A great addition to the show IMHO.

I thought Guinan was an interesting character to add. I understand your point about Troi. Guinan did take a bit of her role however some of the observations made by Guinan seem much better coming as being based on experience rather than training.

I liked Guinan a lot. Basically, well said, trekbabe! She was nice and I liked the way she interacted with people and drew them out (eg Ro!). She did sometimes take away from Troi, but hey, they needed SOMEone on the ship who could council! ;) Ok, sorry...

Having a wise old sage on board can come in handy sometimes. ANd on the Enterprise, it often did.

I liked her from the word "go"

Now come on, you know the Soong Sisters have a beef with the end of NEM.

I never really like Riker and The fact that they killed Worfs first "mate" saddened me. Start a thead asking what peple don't like. Couldn't hurt.... ;)

Does anyone here NOT like something about Star Trek? ;)  You all seem to love everything! ;)

Wesley tended to get on my nerves sometimes, a little too good to be true. I would have liked to have seen a little teenage rebellion from him perhaps.

Now come on, you know the Soong Sisters have a beef with the end of NEM.

I never really like Riker and The fact that they killed Worfs first "mate" saddened me. Start a thead asking what peple don't like. Couldn't hurt.... ;)

as my vote said, I liked here and she was a great addition to the show.

And OF COURSE there are things/people we don't like in Star Trek....I agree with Lessa's comments here ESPECIALLY the first one!

I don't like Riker, Wesley, Haftel, Maddox, and I really am not a BIG fan of Picard, don't hate him, don't think he is the Cat's meow either! I also am not a BIG fan of Pulaski either!

and I really am not a BIG fan of Picard, don't hate him, don't think he is the Cat's meow either!

Interesting........what didn't you like about Picard ,Yillara?

and I really am not a BIG fan of Picard, don't hate him, don't think he is the Cat's meow either!

He originally was a GREAT character, and he still is pretty good...but ever since his assimilation, he is quite changed...seems in some situations way too into the whole revenge scenario(just remember the scene between Lily and Picard in First Contact, and you could understand). That, and he is just not a favorite of mine....

He originally was a GREAT character, and he still is pretty good...but ever since his assimilation, he is quite changed...seems in some situations way too into the whole revenge scenario(just remember the scene between Lily and Picard in First Contact, and you could understand). That, and he is just not a favorite of mine....

The scene in the holodeck you mean? Yeah he did kinda lose it. Good point.

Good question!! I liked how Guinan proved to be a mysterious character up untill Times Arrow where we finnaly discoverd how she and Picard are linked. It always drove me nuts how those two were "better then freinds" and I never knew why. I loved how she provided advice and humor to the crew and how she was automaticly not Goldberg at all but this alien who's race was dispered by the Borg. Guinan and Ten Foward were just part of what TNG so great.

Things I didn't like about TNG:

any girlfriend they gave to Data or Picard ;)

I was annoyed by Wes in the beginning but I think they started to write him better starting in the third season. I was glad to see him in a Starfleet uniform in Nemesis

sorry bevfanK and other Dr. Crusher fans, but she is probably my least favourite character (I don't dislike her, I like the others better). Part of that could go back to my first dislike ;) but I also didn't like how she always wanted to throw the Prime Directive out because "saving lives was more important"

^ok yes she did throw aside the Prime Directive a couple times but she's a doctor saving lives is what she does.. :D (Oh and don't worry I'm not offended..)

EDIT-sorry if I'm going off topic.. :look:

any girlfriend they gave to Data or Picard  :D

Add that statement to my list! I hated Data's girlfriends(and NO it is not JUST because I am jealous, it is because they were just grrrr :look: ..can't really explain without this becoming an epic novel!)!

Does anyone here NOT like something about Star Trek? :D  You all seem to love everything! :D

Wesley tended to get on my nerves sometimes, a little too good to be true. I would have liked to have seen a little teenage rebellion from him perhaps.

EEEKKK!!! :o No teenage rebellion, I hate teenage rebellion! :look: So annoying! (calms down)

Anyway, I loved Guinnan's addition to TNG. I don't really care for Woopi Goldberg either way, but I loved the character of Guinnan. I also loved her performance in "Yesterday's Enterprise", "The Best of Both Worlds", and "Time's Arrow". I think those were some of her best episodes. B) :) :D

Does anyone here NOT like something about Star Trek? :look:  You all seem to love everything! :D

I HATE THE DOCTOR (ok, breathing...) I have problem with some of the continuity, I can't believe those ENT uniforms are comfortable, Troi sometimes annoys me, my favourite characters always die (guess what I just found out -

Click for Spoiler:

Travis, although he doesn't die, has a clone who does!

So one more point for dsbs' curse...), technobabble, there are lots of things, it's just that they're outweirghed by the good stuff, so why complain?

I still loved her stabbing Q with the fork!

that was classic!

I havn't gotten to see that episode yet and I'm dying to see that part because I laugh just thinking about her doing that... :look:

first off, lol to the fork thing - BevfanK, you HAVE GOT to see that episode, it's one of the best!

Second, I love your signature, rikerchick (the homer simpson quote!!) ROFL!!! :o :look::D

Does anyone here NOT like something about Star Trek?

I don't like Wesley or Dr. Palaski. Troi annoys the heck out of me, but I don't hate her. I think Guinan was a better counseler than she was. cheeky-smiley-012.gif I hate that Geordi never got the girl. I hate that nearly every woman Riker hooked up with either turned out to be a bad guy or ended up dead. I hate that Riker and Troi through the whole series couldn't make up their minds whether or not they were friends or in love. I hate that Dr. Crusher didn't get more movie time. I hate that Riker shaved his beard in Insurrection (good thing he grew it back).

Click for Spoiler:

I hate that they killed Data! :D

I hate that they messed up his emotion chip............Do you really want me to go on? :devil: :look:

As much as I don't like Whoopi Goldberg, I like Guinan quite a bit. She was down to earth compared to some of the other characters, and had a lot of wisdom.

Call me crazy, but I even liked the young Guinan in "Rascals".

All I have to say is that Guinan should have taken Troi's Job as counselor in "The Loss" when she had the chance. She was really cool and added much to the show.

I still loved her stabbing Q with the fork!

that was classic!

I havn't gotten to see that episode yet and I'm dying to see that part because I laugh just thinking about her doing that... :look:

OMG! you have to see it! its so funny! the whole episode is really funny actually...(dejaQ)

(sorry, getting up subject again)

but anyway, I thought guinun was cool!

As much as I don't like Whoopi Goldberg, I like Guinan quite a bit.  She was down to earth compared to some of the other characters, and had a lot of wisdom. 

Call me crazy, but I even liked the young Guinan in "Rascals".

I thought they did a great job choosing actors to play the younger versions for everyone but Picard! I really couldn't stand that kid (there, another thing I don't like :look:)