Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Was seven right about Janeway?

Last night I started viewing Season 4 with Scorpion, The Gift, and Day of Honor. I starting thinking about how close these episodes tie together, and 7's comment in the gift if she wanted to return to the collective.

The comment was actually a question in which seven asked if she was given free-will could she go back to the collective. She also mentioned how hypocritical Janeway was for imposing her "assemilation" on her, just as bad as the borg. Than in Day of Honor, Seven is willing to give herself up (Now as a human being mind-you) and Janeway says no.

I hadn't thought about this before, but Janeway is very hypocritical towards 7 in this season. In Pray, seven makes a choice to save the crew and herself, and Janeway punishes her for it. Talk about free will. I guess she didn't say anything about rules.

I think Janeway took the attitude of protective mother when it came to Seven. Yeah, she may have been somewhat hypocritical but the position she took was the same as a mother with a child, which in retrospec, Seven was when it came to dealing with the fact she was a human. Seven didn't really know what being a human all entails. How many of us have screamed at our own parents for not letting us do what we though we wanted to do, like jumping off a bridge because all our friends were doing it? There were just some decisions that Janeway made with Seven because Seven just didn't really know any better yet. Janeway was going to protect Seven from herself if she had to, just like a mother, and wasn't going to let her go off and rejoin the collective just because she wanted to. Janeway was determined to keep her as a human and all of Seven's wailing wasn't going to change that. Really, don't you think that you saw a bit of your own mother in Janeway in how she treated Seven?

Good point. I could say when I was younger, I see some of my mom in Janeway. I only ask because what I saw janeway do, was almost what the borg do, take away ones identity and force them to join the collective. I guess it kind of bothered me that while Janeway was saying she was giving back what the borg took away, in a way she is almost as guilty as the borg themselves.

Good points......I agree.

I think Janeway took the attitude of protective mother when it came to Seven.  Yeah, she may have been somewhat hypocritical but the position she took was the same as a mother with a child, which in retrospec, Seven was when it came to dealing with the fact she was a human.  Seven didn't really know what being a human all entails.  How many of us have screamed at our own parents for not letting us do what we though we wanted to do, like jumping off a bridge because all our friends were doing it?  There were just some decisions that Janeway made with Seven because Seven just didn't really know any better yet.  Janeway was going to protect Seven from herself if she had to, just like a mother, and wasn't going to let her go off and rejoin the collective just because she wanted to.  Janeway was determined to keep her as a human and all of Seven's wailing wasn't going to change that.  Really, don't you think that you saw a bit of your own mother in Janeway in how she treated Seven?

268040[/snapback]

I think that just different situations call for different methoods of action. Over time, she did become more protective to Seven. I'm not sure if this was because of a more emotional bond between women, or if it was just that seven had aquired a lot of knowledge about star fleet while she was there.

I agree that Janeway is more critical and protective of Seven of Nine than she is of any other crew member. At times, Janeway will let Seven do as she pleases and other times she punishes her - like you would a child if Seven did something really unacceptable. For example you mentioned Seven saving the crew along with herself by alerting the hunters of their prey. Seven transports the prey to the other ship so Voyager and her crew would be spared. I think she did the right thing but the captain didn't see it that way. Seven was punished for the choice that she made. B)

This is another observation not necessarily off the topic. B)

If Seven were really a member of the crew, I think she would have had crew quarters and uniforms for duty and other attire for off duty. She could have had a regeneration chamber placed in one of the unused crew quarters. I think this would have made Seven embrace her humanity more and just maybe other crew members would have treated her better. It all depends on how she was treated when she came aboard Voyager. If the Captain only given her more options , maybe she would have trusted them more and she would have stopped saying that humans were inferior. I blame the Captain and I also blame the clueless hologram - the Doctor. He only wanted her to be able to interact with him. He didn't want her to outgrow him. If she did then she wouldn't need his advice on anything. The Doctor was the one who chose Seven of Nine's clothes. The clothes made her even more disliked because she could walk around like that and other crew members couldn't. If only Captain Janeway intervened, Seven would have developed sooner than she did.

PS, I know that I was ranting a little there but bare with me.

If the Captain praised Seven for her role in getting the hunters off of their backs instead of punishing her. Maybe Seven wouldn't think that she wasn't needed a lot of the time. You could tell when Seven was really wanting and needing Kathryn's approval.

All in all, Seven of Nine was one of those who really came along from the fourth to the seventh season of Voyager. Seven of Nine is one of my favorite characters. :)

I agree with the idea that Seven was much like a child and Janeway an overprotective mother. While it is true that Janeway wanted Seven to express her freewill, she had to intervene sometimes because Seven did not always use her freewill in the 'correct' way. At the end of the day freewill must sometimes be suppresed, because the results are not always good. (Would you let a man kill another just because he was doing it of his own free will?)