Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Should Trick or Treating be Abolished?

Should Trick or Treating be Abolished?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should Trick or Treating be Abolished?

• What?!! No Way
    • Yes, it's time to rethink this custom
    • I need to think about that?

I"ve always thought Trick or Treating was a strange custom - all year we tell our children not to take candy from strangers and then one night a year people go knocking on stranger's doors asking for candy.

For some of us older ones - we can remember a simpler time when neighbors gave out homemade rice krispie treats - and we ate them.

I have a relative that lives in one of the nicer neighborhoods in town - I didn't believe what they said about trick or treating in their neighborhood until I saw it with my own eyes. People drive from all over town to bring their kids to that neighborhood, the traffic was unbelievable - people were parking on the highway that led into the subdivision :P ; they even had a patrol car stationed there.

I mean trick or treating in your own neighborhood is one thing but driving across town because you think people in a certain neighborhood have money. On the other hand - where I live a lot of people in my area think Halloween is Satanic - so they oppose it for different reasons.

My church does usually have a fall festival and they do "trunk or treating" where people decorate the trunks of their cars with games like ring toss etc and kids go "trick or treating" to the cars and play games and get candy. I think that is a safer alternative.

I'm against abolishing trick or treating. It is one of the highlights of my childhood and if I ever have children of my own I would hope they could enjoy it like I did. I'm not sure exactly what happened to cause people to start thinking of it as "un-safe". It's my opinion that trick or treating is no more dangerous now then it was when I was a kid. It's just that it's less interesting now since fewer people give out candy. Every year now they show news stories about all of the ways that people can poison your childrens candy and about how dangerous it is, but I don't think I've ever actually heard of anyone actually finding the poison candy or being attacked by a random old couple giving out freshly made popcorn balls.

It's possible that I've been watching too many Roger Moore movies lately but I think Americans have become over paranoid about everything. At this rate in 25 years only 1 out of 10 people will be brave enough to ever leave their homes during the day time. Fear can be a dangerous weapon in the war of ultimate control. Anyone remember the TNG episode Devil's Due?

I have to agree with Tank. I had a great time trick or treating when I was a kid and my kids do as well. He's right I can't remember the last time I heard about someone poisening candy. I think it was in the late 70's someone put razors in some apples but it's been so long ago it might just be an urban legend. I know most of the people in my neighborhood, I live in a small town and feel pretty safe. The crime section of the weekly newspaper is usually only a couple of colums and it's petty theft, traffic violations etc...My church also has trunk or treat. I believe no church if perfect and all their views are correct. Truth be known about Halloween it has nothing to do with satan, as a matter of fact the Druids who started the traditon had heard of neither satan or Christ. Now it's not my place to judge whether they went to heaven or hell, but considering they were ignorant of the Christian religion I don't know how it could be conidered "satanic". My wife is Native American and prides herself on her heritage, we have dream catchers in our house in which some churches would tell you were "witchcraft" or "satanic". Now we are born again God fearing Christians, but that does not mean we buy into everything one person or one group of people say. We pray about it and try to follow Gods lead. Be safe, check your kids candy before they eat it if anything looks suspicious throw it out. Have a happy and safe Halloween.

God Bless

I am against abolishing it because it is still apart of my childhood/teenage years, I couldn't picture the amazingly wonderfully delightfully scared holiday that is Halloween without it. Every year for as long as I could remember I went out with my friends and got as much candy as we could then visited the local haunted houses and sometimes played games of night tag in the forested areas or as near to the grave yard as we would dare, if it was on a weekend of course. Its a very imbeded tradition and plus its great to see the little kids try and scare the older kids and adults with thier cute little costumes, like a devil or a vampire. The vampires are the cutest because they are more cute then scarey and you just want to go AWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! *takes picture.* ^.^!

Hell no. Trick or Treating is fun, and it's very traditional. I don't do it anymore, but those who do have fun doing it, and that's all what counts. That's the great thing about Holloween, the fun and just seeing people happy.

Alright the going to another area of town to get candy is kinda sad but who cares if they want to then they should, should we abolish x-mas shoping because people go to stores that offer lower prices and you can get more for you money because it is wrong??

I havent gone out for hallowen for 5 years and I am going this year with some friends, the satanic thing could be true but who cares the next day is all saints day!!!

I wish I had kids that came to my house I hate living in the boones

Trick or Treating is a tradition! Plus you get candy and you get to dress up in a costume! :P

I understand trick or treating is fun but I think you're overlooking a couple of important details.

Take my relatives neighborhood. Stores don't give candy away, so if you have 300 kids hit your door and there about 30 pieces of candy per $2.50 bag you're forking out $25.00 for candy. Some people choose to do this but what about the people that don't want to? Some pass out candy out of fear of property damage :)

And RK, you say there's no problem if people want to go there. There was a problem - if you lived there - there was a problem getting to your home because of the crowds - and it amounted to one neighborhood buying candy for the whole town.

Don't forget about homeowners rights to decorate their homes with pumpkins without having smashed pumpkins all over their drive way.

I hate driving home on Halloween - because it is dangerous - little kids all excited, running all over the roads. I think trunk or treating or trick or treating at the malls are safe not so much for the poison candy aspect but for the roadway safety issues. That would be my biggest issue. When I was a kid you walked around your neighborhood (nobody had to feed 300 kids) - and most people were at home to give out candy so there weren't as many cars. My second issue is the kids that vandalize homes that don't give out candy. In the age of diversity we should respect not everyone wants to celebrate Halloween - and some people are just plain poor.

Personally, I love looking at little kids in their costumes and seeing how excited they get about candy. Kids don't come to my door though - they're all in my relatives neighborhood. :P

I see what you're saying Unicorn Hunter, but this is just too strong a tradition in america. I know it's dangerous for kids, but that's what their parents are supposed to be for. So the real question is: Should Parents Abolish Trick or Treating?

First of all Hallowe'en is a pagan ritual it's not satanic but it's become something else now. It's a night when children can dress up with their friends, go out and get their sweets and candy and watch the fireworks. I think it's a nice tradition, it's fun and as long as parents are there to supervise I think it should stay.

Its a part of our culture that is here to stay because what would the little ones say when this time rolls around? They would be so sad. You have no clue how many little ones come through the haunted yards with thier parents. Its so cute. At first they are sort of scared but when they see something big and fluffy or scaryer looking to the rest of them but not to them they tend to gravitate toward it. It provides them with a light that says: "Just because something is scary looking, doesn't mean its evil."

I see your point about driving and the cost of candy and I think stores should give out candy on Halloween to ease the cost a bit. I remeber the local shops of my old hometown gave out candy and soda and all sorts of goodies after the costume contest at the community center.

Again about the little ones, if you take away Halloween whats left for them to have fun with during the fall? Thanksgiving really isn't that fun and Christmass....well thats a give away. But seriously some little kids look up to the gaint thing or Dracula as a kind of light. Yes even Dracula because I have seen many little ones hide behind or in the person dressed up as the Count. Its neat to watch how adults as certain things interact with kids as the same stuff. Like the guy who is Dracula would bend down next to every vampire and smile nice and big and give all the vampires a specile goodie bag :P. Or if I am being a werewolf in a haunted house I will have at least 2 or 3 little ones attached to my costum and I become thier unoffical protector from all bad things. Its really cute. But my point it that if you take away trick or treating what will be the point of even bothering to tell little kids about the fun and sweat holiday that is All Hallows Eve. ^.^;

No offense U.H. But Lighten Up will you? :) These are children. They don't care about all those issues you have with Money and Fear and Traffic. All they want is the "CANDY"!!! :( :) As adults it's up to us to do what's right. And candy and children go together. Hey, candy and everybody go together :P {Not of course diabetics} :) They're having fun. Don't spoil it for them. Do the right thing. :(

You mean i need to think about that? :P I understand the issue of a whole town or whatnot coming to 1 neighborhood, but come on; one of the few times (if not the ONLY time) that kids get to dress up and enjoy being up at night doing all kinds of games, and we're DEBATING this?

As has been mentioned already, when halloween was originally created it was known as a non-christian holiday (originally called All Hollows Eve i think) and the people really had no concept of a devil et cetera.

And no offense, but the only time i went to a mall for halloween the treats SUCKED. Thus why the family only went the 1 time (i don't know if it's any better now, but i doubt it). Just be glad you can see the kids out having so much fun instead of staying home watching mindless tv, or playing some stupid video game or causing some REAL violent chaos.

Give up free candy? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! LOL I am at that age where Mom is saying that I am probably too old to trick-or-treat... :P . Sure, it is somewhat dangerous, but a lot of people go in their neighborhood, with people they know to be safe.

I hope they don't get rid of Halloween. I love decorating the house and carving the pumpkin. and handing out candy to the kids. We get alot of kids and to cut down the cost of candy I go to the dollar store and buy big bags of candy very cheap.

Plus its a great reason to wear my Starfleet uniform all day! :P

Personally I think Trick or Treating is dead in my town. Everyone seems to attend home parties, church festivals, or something at the city hall. I don't think Halloween is dead or dying, I just think that people want to play it safe now-a-days. I agree with some who have stated that razors and poison in candies is part of the urban legend surrounding Halloween. Just last night I went to Target and the Halloween isles have expanded, it isn't just one isle it's a few isles. I felt that it was just as much if not more than when it's for Christmas decorations. The Displays are getting better every year. If I could have I would have purchased a few to decorate around the house, but since every year I'm always at our church's festival, I figure I won't decorate if I'm not going to be around. Besides I don't want the trick done on me... coming home and finding no decorations. :P

First of all Hallowe'en is a pagan ritual it's not satanic but it's become something else now. It's a night when children can dress up with their friends, go out and get their sweets and candy and watch the fireworks. I think it's a nice tradition, it's fun and as long as parents are there to supervise I think it should stay.

267960[/snapback]

There's fireworks on Holloween. Not in my town? :P

Who is this guy pretending to be??? :(

post-897-1096653192.gif

268125[/snapback]

The dancer at Monica Lewinskis birthday party! :roflmoa: :P :)

Edited by Airies

I started this topic just to discuss a current social phenomena. I appreciate all of those that shared their memories etc. I don't think I deserved to be insulted because I happened to bring up a topic that people do talk about.

Traditions are great - but things change - change isn't always a bad thing.

One point I think is very important - Halloween and trick-or-treat are not synonymous. You can do Halloween without trick or treating. I can't remember the last time I went trick or treating (well my and my roommates did go out once to visit some guys we knew. They thought it was a hoot when they opened the door and saw us there - but different story).

Anyway, for years I went to Halloween dances/costume parties at church - in fact I had more fun after I became an adult than I did as a teen. (sometimes I hate getting older :laugh: ) Anyway, I like Halloween and have fond memories of dances and I've seen some terrific spook alleys. Do they do that where any of you live? I've also been on haunted ghost walks.

But no one has answered: how do you feel about kids that trash a house if the person doesn't give out candy?

I've never actually seen any houses that got trashed because they didn't give out candy. Those kids can't stay focused. The goal is the acquisition of candy, any time spent on vandalism is taking away from your total candy time. It also helps to make a note of the houses that give out the good candy (full size candybars, chocolate, caramel) and those that give out "healthy alternatives" like carrot sticks :laugh: so you can visit the former on your second and third laps and avoid the latter like stinky sacks of durf. It's also good to scope out the houses of the bachelors in the neighborhood because Halloween always catches them completely by surprise so they have to hand out cash in lieu of candy. (This doesn't always work because sometimes they give out whatever they can find in their house, canned beans, lightbulbs, ramen noodles. :clap: )

Edited by fenriz275

post-897-1096654634.jpg

268137[/snapback]

Hehehe, i love that one jeanway, wish we had one here :lol:. :)

But no one has answered:  how do you feel about kids that trash a house if the person doesn't give out candy?

268241[/snapback]

TUH, realistically i don't think that happens too much, it's most likely these events are overblown by the media like they used to scare people about certain unsavory particles being in candy. And like has been mentioned, why would those kids bother when they can spend that time just getting more candy?

I've never actually seen any houses that got trashed because they didn't give out candy. Those kids can't stay focused. The goal is the acquisition of candy, any time spent on vandalism is taking away from your total candy time. It also helps to make a note of the houses that give out the good candy (full size candybars, chocolate, caramel) and those that give out "healthy alternatives" like carrot sticks  :laugh: so you can visit the former on your second and third laps and avoid the latter like stinky sacks of durf. It's also good to scope out the houses of the bachelors in the neighborhood because Halloween always catches them completely by surprise so they have to hand out cash in lieu of candy. (This doesn't always work because sometimes they give out whatever they can find in their house, canned beans, lightbulbs, ramen noodles. :clap: )

268244[/snapback]

Canned beans, lightulbs, and ramen noodles? :P That's a joke, right? Although, if you think about it the lightbulb idea might be a good one, just so long as you don't forget the candy :P (if people gave out these new energy efficient lightbulbs, think of how much people would save in the long run :clap: ).

I remember doing trick-or-treating as a child. Our parents went with us when we were young, and if the neighbors did not have a light on, we did not ring the doorbell, because that meant they did not want to participate. When we were old enough to go around on our own, we still stayed away form unlighted homes, without committing vandalism. But some kids did things like soap people's windows.

I stopped trick or treating in my teens, and can't remember the last time I dressed up for Halloween. I now belong to a very large church that has a party for children on Halloween, but does not permit them to dress up in Halloween costumes.

Since I moved to this state thirteen years ago, I have only had trick-or treaters come to my door once, and have never experienced vandalism.

I think halloween traditions are evolving to address the times, and trick or treating will continue to wane.

I like dressing up and walking around with my friends all dressed up better than getting candy. We also hand out christian tracts as a way to use what some people call an "evil" holiday for good. I also enjoy carving pumpkins, I do really elaborate ones. I wish my church had a "trunk or treat" thing or somethin equivalent, but oh well. Happy halloweening everybody! :laugh: