Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

[S] Cogenitor 30.04

I'm hoping I'm wrong but I have a little misgivings about tonights episode after seeing the previews. Either:

1. It will be too much like A Night In Sickbay (no plot and lots of sex jokes) - which will be a disappointment after the last several episodes

or

2. It's going to take the opportunity to preach down to us about tolerance.

Did anybody else get that feeling?

This may be a little premature to judge an episode before I've seen it, but...I'll do it anyways.

I agree with you UnicornHunter. I am apprehensive myself. I feel like this will be a mix between "Unexpected" and "Singularity." It will probably include gay and bi sexual thematics. Just my guess from seeing the preview. Another B&B social issue "spotlight" I'm sure.

At least it should be entertaining! :laugh: Go Trip!

I think its silly to try and chat about an episode that has not aired yet,I'll have to get back to you after I see the show tonight. But I will say I did not get any of the feelings or misgivings ya'll have from seeing a promo.

I just read some comments over at ST.com - apparently there is more depth than the previews indicated in this episode. Of course now:

Click for Spoiler:

I don't want to see Trip in the dog house

we must keep an open mind about it till we see it. no sense putting the cart before the horse. so ill be back after the episode airs tonight.

I agree that we should not judge an episode before we have seen it, the previews never really give us an accurate view of the show that is to come. I myself think that it is going to be great.

Well this wasn't "A Night In Sickbay". I think this is one of the better episodes simply because of the importance of the issues it brings up.

Click for Spoiler:

The Cogenitor killing herself at the end will help usher in the Prime Directive. This was a VERY good episode.

so as im watching cogenitor, anyon else recognise the alien commander as AMBASADOR G'KAR from BABYLON 5

You talking about the captain of the other ship? He was also Commander Tomalok (sp?) on TNG

so as im watching cogenitor, anyon else recognise the alien commander as AMBASADOR G'KAR from BABYLON 5

You talking about the captain of the other ship? He was also Commander Tomalok (sp?) on TNG

yes, the captain of the other ship. so how many people think that the way trip thought about the others customs was very arogant on his part. to sit in judgement of an entirely new species. im sure that other species looking in on us would think many customs of ours are barbaric among other things.

Lets get down to business. Oh yea...don't forget to rank 1 to 10!

Click for Spoiler:

Well...I can say that this episode had 'twist' to it. Pretty tough situation to deal with. Archer looked like he was having the time of his life in that pod. Shame that Trip ended that and made a bad call, but it invoked Archer to take charge of his senior officers a little better. And Trip should have listened to T'Pol. I can see a little Prime Directive action taking place here soon. :laugh:

However, the underlying message of this episode is twofold. First, as Archer stated, it is necessary to examine the consequences of our actions. Secondly, as UnicornHunter stated earlier, a message of the tolerence (acceptance if you prefer) of non-heterosexual beings was important to the theme. I agree that the second message is an important one that has been discussed before. I'm glad that they address the issue of "open-mindedness", even though some fans will dislike it.

On a non-political note: "I'm anxious to see your tactical array!" :laugh:

I'll rank this higher than "The Breach." 8 out of 10.

We going to discuss the actual episode in here? Well... if we are:

Click for Spoiler:

I really enjoyed this episode. I wasn't really expecting much and was actually expecting a completely different episode. I think a lot of people had misconceptions about how it would actually play out. It dealt with some very strong themes which I really liked. The way Archer reacts to a new species and new exploration options (i.e. when he's in the pod) was excellent because he seems so excited and gives the perfect impression of being a real explorer. Was also nice to see a friendly race for once as well.

The addition of Andreas Katsulas' return to Star Trek in a completely different role and personality was a great idea. Sure his character wasn't as interesting Tomalak, but it was nice to see him pleasent as opposed to being a decietful Romulan, who would like nothing better then to see Picard and his ship destroyed hehe.

The episode displayed some very real possiblities and reactions of crew members to a species who has a very unique culture and the possible reprecussions of the crew member actions, and even if they mean well, how damaging it can be to interfere with another culture. Prime Directive anyone? Archer also showed he can really come down hard on his crew if he has to, which was a nice contrast to his giddy personality for most of the show.

Other notes: Special effects were very good, Malcolm with the alien woman was hilarious (at least to me), and the Doctor's line: "I have pictures" was hilarious.

Overall: 8.5/10

Well..........

Click for Spoiler:

Man, what an awsome episode, This will go far in creating the prime directive. I'm still not sure how the whole pet/midwife cogenitor thing works, but I don't think Trip should have interfered the way he did, especially given the end result being suicide. Archer really made it known that he didn't approve what Trip did. I really like the way Archer and the Vissian Captain got along, I hope this won't be the last time they pop up in an episode, even though they're one of those cultures that have only turned up on ENT. And the mysterious Chef came up in conversation between Reed and the Vissian Armoury Officer. I give this episode a 9 out of ten.

Next week the Borg turn up in the most awaited Episode of the Sereis, this will make or break the show, but my money is on make.

Jack_Bauer,

24 fan, are we? :laugh:

Are you laughing at me Picard because I like 24 or because my name obviously points out that I like it? Either way I don't mind I'm just curious.

Click for Spoiler:

I agree, the Prime Directive will likely be coming very soon. Someone has killed themselves because of the Enterprise crew. They have to do something to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Click for Spoiler:

I doubt if this is the last we've heard of this incident, with the last few Episdodes they're building toward something

I loved this episode! One of the best so far! Allthough, I hated the ending! :laugh:

Click for Spoiler:

This was an excellent episode, and I completely agree with what Trip did with the Cogenitor. Infact, I would have done the same myself, perhaps gone even further. I'm surprised he didn't tell her to keep this newly discovered world of experrience so that she could liberrate more of her gender. I saw her as a sex-slave, and the attitude of the couple made me sick! She has all the potentional as they did. She was a slave, and Trip taught her that she didn't have to be a slave anymore. I completely dissagreed with Archer's reaction to this situation.

Trip, in my mind, is officially a better character than Archer! :laugh:

i dont have a spoiler button on mine, is it the romulan theme or do i have another problem? anyway ill make it short so's not to spoil it for some. i give it an 8 out of 10. it was very good, had some good humor, "i've got pictures" love it. and some deep content. but i think tripp acted very condecending, in thinking he was morally superior in this instance. i'll leave it at that.

Hello,

This is my first post. :laugh: I'm going to tell you what I thought of tonight's episode.

Click for Spoiler:

I agree with Unicorn, I was wary of this episode. From the previews it looked to be like the show where Archer and T'pol spent the whole time given each other an oil rub. This turned out to be a very good episode. Archer showed alittle toughness in the end when he told Trip about the suicide, and how he held Trip responsible. I liked this because in past show Archer's officers sorta did as they pleased. Overall I would give tonight's episode a 8.5 out of 10.

Now let see how the Borg plays out... This could be interesting :laugh:

Welcome to the board Meatwad! I agree with all you said in your Spoiler. I for one look forward to the Borg episode. A lot of people at ST.COM seem ready to burun all of their copies of every singel episode of Star Trek because of this one episode, but mark my words. When this (the borg) episode is complete everyone will be singing it's praises!

Hello,

This is my first post.  :laugh:  I'm going to tell you what I thought of tonight's episode.

Click for Spoiler:

I agree with Unicorn, I was wary of this episode. From the previews it looked to be like the show where Archer and T'pol spent the whole time given each other an oil rub. This turned out to be a very good episode. Archer showed alittle toughness in the end when he told Trip about the suicide, and how he held Trip responsible. I liked this because in past show Archer's officers sorta did as they pleased. Overall I would give tonight's episode a 8.5 out of 10.

Now let see how the Borg plays out... This could be interesting  :laugh:

Hello Meatwad! Welcome to the board. B)

Yes, I very much look forward to "Regeneration."

Welcome to the board Meatwad! I agree with all you said in your Spoiler. I for one look forward to the Borg episode. A lot of people at ST.COM seem ready to burun all of their copies of every singel episode of Star Trek because of this one episode, but mark my words. When this (the borg) episode is complete everyone will be singing it's praises!

yeah well, st.com people are one slice of bread short of a loaf.

I loved this episode!  One of the best so far!  Allthough, I hated the ending! :laugh:

Click for Spoiler:

This was an excellent episode, and I completely agree with what Trip did with the Cogenitor.  Infact, I would have done the same myself, perhaps gone even further.  I'm surprised he didn't tell her to keep this newly discovered world of experrience so that she could liberrate more of her gender.  I saw her as a sex-slave, and the attitude of the couple made me sick!  She has all the potentional as they did.  She was a slave, and Trip taught her that she didn't have to be a slave anymore.  I completely dissagreed with Archer's reaction to this situation.

Trip, in my mind, is officially a better character than Archer! :laugh:

Click for Spoiler:

Sure Trip probably thought (and a lot of us think this way) that what he was doing was right. Are you supposed to be concerned/help people whose rights have been taken away? Of course you are. However, Trips method was not the most wise way to go about this. His attempted "liberation" only caused death. His heart was in the right place, but you have to measure the depth of the water before you dive in head first.