Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

First Duty

I would have crawled under his desk and assumed a fetal position!

I was just cringing during the entire conversation between Picard and Wesley. "I always thought you were going to make a great officer ... until now."

I thought this was Wil Wheaton's finest Trek hour. The episode was really good and we got to visit the academy, see Picard walking around his old stomping grounds, meet the future Tom Paris and as a bonus, there's Ray Walston on Star Trek playing the groundskeeper at the Academy!

What a great episode!

It's been a very long time since I've seen this episode and everytime it's about to come on something happens where I always miss it. Next time it comes around on Spike I'll catch it.

As for what I remember, good thought provoking episode.

Friends or the truth?

As for what I remember, good thought provoking episode.

Friends or the truth?

266835[/snapback]

Real friends would not ask you to lie to cover up their own actions.

Were you cringing in a bad way as in stewart overacting, or in a good way as in he was convincing. Agreed about wes. This was his best episode, followed closely by Final Mission and Journey Home.

Were you cringing in a bad way as in stewart overacting, or in a good way as in he was convincing.  Agreed about wes.  This was his best episode, followed closely by Final Mission and Journey Home.

266979[/snapback]

Definitely in a good way. He was very convincing, very much what Wes needed to hear at that point.

Like I said, I would have crawled under his desk and curled up in a ball if he'd talked to me that way. My main objective as a crew member on board the Enterprise would be to stay on Picard's good side.

I agree that it was really great to see Tom Paris at the academy, it helps bring continuity to the whole Star Trek universe by having character's cross over. Other good examples are Dr McCoy in STTNG "Encounter at Farpoint" Visiting DS9 in VOY "Caretaker" and seeing Admiral Janeway in ST:Nemesis. They all demonstrate how the shows link together in the same universe.

Crawled under the desk? I probably would have gone running out the room screaming like a madman. Buuuuuuut, thats just me, lol.

I think, if I had been in Wesley's shoes in that ep, I would have been crying uncontrollably before Picard had more than a few words with me. They would have had to call a medic team to sedate me.

The anger wouldn't have done it, I would have been mortified at disappointing someone I respected so much.

I think, if I had been in Wesley's shoes in that ep, I would have been crying uncontrollably before Picard had more than a few words with me. They would have had to call a medic team to sedate me.

The anger wouldn't have done it, I would have been mortified at disappointing someone I respected so much.

267388[/snapback]

You said it. The disappointment would have killed me. I would have been singing like a canary before Picard even said anything!

No kidding! I would have been so disappointed in myself, I wouldn't have been able to stand it. Not to mention that I was that disappointed in Wesley in that episode. The whole time I was thinking-WHAT DOES HE THINK HE'S DOING?! I am a Christian, and so it really hurt to see Wes do something like that, even though he was the one to tell the truth later. He should have known better in the first place.

Is there room under that desk for more than one person? I agree with you all on this one. I would hate myself for disappointing Picard.

Another episode that would have put me in the fetal position even more was the look on Picard's face after Riker told him about Ro in the episode Preemptive Strike.

To have this look directed at me would just about kill me.

Wesley deserved in what he got from Picard. He disobeyed an order that result in the death of his friend and fellow cadet. That is very serious issue. Picard place alot of trust in Wesley on the Enterprise by allowing him to be on the bridge. He was also a father figure to Wesley. I would to have the same expectations on Wesley to better than lie about what had happen. I would be equal disappointed in the cadet as Picard was.

Edited by Odie

Like Tim Russ in Generations, that wasn't Tom Paris at the Academy, although that would have been a great continuity plot. The character played by the same actor is called Nick Locarno or something like that. Same actor - just different characters.

However, to just mention a continuity in the Trek Universe, they use a picture of Nick from this episode, in his cadet's uniform in an episode of Voyager to look like a young Tom Paris, on his father's desk.

If Picard had said that to me I would have slapped his bald head and said:

"To hell with you cue-ball, I'm going into the private sector, yeah!!! I'm gonna be a mercenary!!!!! With my own ship and uh....stuff"

:assimilated: :unsure:

The inclusion of Wesley Crusher was a massive mistake.

I don't know how the producers would think that a character like that would be likable or endearing.

This is how it should have been:

CO: Picard.

EXO: Riker.

Chief Engineer: Geordi should have been chief engineer right from the start.

Chief of Security/Tactical: Worf, right from the beginning of the series.

OPS: Data.

CONN: A helmsman should have been there from the start.

I would have replaced Tasha Yar with a Communications Officer character instead.

Troi would have been replaced by a Chief Science Officer character.

CMO: Dr.Crusher, who should have ended up with Picard at the end, or at least their romance should have been developed in the movies.

The inclusion of Wesley Crusher was a massive mistake.

I don't know how the producers would think that a character like that would be likable or endearing.

CMO: Dr.Crusher, who should have ended up with Picard at the end, or at least their romance should have been developed in the movies.[/b]

284195[/snapback]

The character of Wesley Crusher was Gene Roddenberry's way of living out his boyhood dream. Wesley is considered the most famous "Mary Sue" character there is. If you don't know what a Mary Sue character is, here is a link for a Mary Sue Litmus Test that explains it.

As for Crusher and Picard: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HairRaise.gifAaack.gifGreen.gif

Wesley is considered the most famous "Mary Sue" character there is.

I can believe that. :laugh:

As for Crusher and Picard: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:laugh:

But he loved her!!!! :waaaa:

*steps in and THWACKs The King* :frusty: He did NOT, only in the first season and before, perhaps... :look::look:

I have to agree with Takara... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :look::hug:

Now, I have to agree with the King ... Picard did love Beverly and she loved him. The entire run of the series alluded to it just as it alluded to Riker and Troi, although not so obviously. Every time either one of them met "someone" there were always looks and tension and obvious overtones of jealousy.

The only thing that really kept them apart was the memory of his friend and her dead husband.

It makes the dressing down that Picard gives Wesley all the more effective ... he's very much a father figure for Wesley in both Wesley's and Beverly's eyes.

I do disagree somewhat with the King though (which is fairly unusual!) in that I liked Wesley all right from about the end of the second season on. The writers just took a while to find the right "tone" for his character, as they did with several others on the cast.

I really hated how they dropped the ball on the Picard/Crusher thing in the movies. At least they let Riker and Troi finally get married.