Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

Voyager's Alliance With The Borg

:D There was a three part story during the Voyager series where Kess ultimately leaves Voyager and 7 of 9 becomes a member of the cast. The three episodes that covers this plot include Scorpion parts I and II and The Gift. During this story, Janeway makes an alliance with the Borg to develope a weapon to defeat a common enemey, Species 8472. Janeway begins working with the Borg on a Borg cube to create the weapon. However, the cube is attacked by species 8472. Janeway and Tuvok are injured in the attack and beamed back aboard Voyager, along with 7 of 9 and a group of drones. Janeway's injuries are serious. But as she gives Chakotay contorl of the ship, she instructs him to maintain the alliance with the Borg at all costs. 7 of 9 who speaks for the Borg instructs Chakotay to route Voyager deeper into Borg space to link up with the nearest cube. Chakotay refuses and breaks off the alliance. When the captain recovers from her injuries, she is furious with Chakotay because he disobeyed her orders.

As I watched this plot unfold, it personally bothered me greatly that Janeway was so emotionally upset with Chakotay for disolving the alliance. Her trust that the Borg would not assimilate the Voyager crew seemed totally unrealistic. Her knowedlege that assimilation is always their ultimate goal, seemed to take a back step.......to what I have never understood. But I thought Chakotay was right; that he did the only thing possible. I found myself totally at odds with the Captain. In the long run it was discovered that the Borg had also tried to assimilate species 8472.........which how their troubles with them began.

I'm a big Janewy fan. but the above just seemed totally out of Character for her. :wow:

I agree. To instruct your first officer to maintain an alliance at all cost seems extreme. Janeway's goal was alwasy to get Voyager back to Federation space with crew intact so to give an order like that doesn't make sense.

Also she didn't put much faith in Chakotay's judgment to act in the best interest of Voyager when the circumstances surrounding the alliance changed.

I think that Janeway made a good choice.

May 13 2003, 09:52 AM was when the last post on this thread was made. :dude:

Edited by harrykim

In "Scorpion", I sided with Chakotay, but I don't think Janeway was out of character. After the Borg were wiped out, Species 8472 would attack the rest of the galaxy.

Kes, "Your galaxy will be purged."

Kes said that while in contact with the aliens. Janeway was in a despereate situation, you can't expect her to be perfect.

Im not a Janeway fan.. the way i think you have to look at this is, its the way the writers wrote it they may have forgotten something but its in stone now and it adds to her character.. i dont think that she was that happy about the aliance.. maybe a little cautious? so maybe thats why she wasnt that ticked off.?

IMHO

If Janeway had cooperated with the Borg 100% fully, the Borg will realize that individual races can be mature enough to be trustworthy & make it possible to have an early alliance with the Federation.

As 7 of 9 said, the Collective suspected that humans are not to be trusted, if they prove this to be wrong the Collective may change their view about the Federation & possibly find a more peaceful relationship & also find a new way to seek for perfection then a full out assimilationof each species they deemed worthy.

But since this is not the case, all I can say is, what Janeway did is the first step in a longer time length to achieve peace with the Borg.

:P

i think her main intention was to get the crew home.

"You have to make this work, get this crew ....... home"

Janeway saw the threat from 8472, and realised that her only goal (to get the crew home) would be in tatters if the Borg lost

But since this is not the case, all I can say is, what Janeway did is the first step in a longer time length to achieve peace with the Borg.

Personally, I don't think permanent peace can be made with the Borg but it's nice to see an open mind about the idea.

Personally, I don't think permanent peace can be made with the Borg but it's nice to see an open mind about the idea.