Sign in to follow this  
cptwright

nasa's astronomy pic of the day

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

as im sure most of us startrek fans are at least casual stargazers, or lovers of all things space. here is a link to a nasa sight astronomy picture of the day. they've got some beautiful pics on this sight, after you to there, scroll down to bottom you'll see archive, click that and you'll be able to check out all the pics they've put up since the begining a couple a years ago. some of thes are earth shots, some are hubble shots, not all are just space shots, but phenomonon as well, or different things. check it out its pretty cool.

Wow, cool pic.

Actually, I used to use that site a lot when I was homeschooling my daughter.

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to travel in a starship and actually see that up close and personal?

I love this site. It's where I got my Avatar from.

The pictures from the Hubble really blow my mind. Just think, when we look into the center of the universe we are actually looking into the past. Some day we might even be able to see far enough to see the Big Bang. Whenever I try to wrap my mind around that one my head starts to ache.

"Before there was nothing, there was less than nothing." Chinese Proverbs

And to think that some people on our planet say that we are the only beings in existence :D

This is my all time favorite

Eagle Nebula

Though you have to admit this constellation has a great name

The Unicorn

That eagle nebula pic is great :D

...and...about the Unicorn - lol!

This is my all time favorite

Eagle Nebula

Though you have to admit this constellation has a great name

The Unicorn

yes the eagle nebula is really cool, i saved that one to my computer. actually i saved quite a few, but that one sticks out. its always amazed me that some people can actually look up to the sky and say, oh, so boring, my wife being one of them, anything space is out for her, but in acutallity there is sssoooo much beauty to behold in the stars above. i love to lay out on a blanket, on a dark clear night and look up into the stars. this sight brings those pictures right to me.

cptwright,May 12 2003, 11:26 PM its always amazed me that some people can actually look up to the sky and say, oh, so boring, my wife being one of them, anything space is out for her, but in acutallity there is sssoooo much beauty to behold in the stars above. i love to lay out on a blanket, on a dark clear night and look up into the stars. this sight brings those pictures right to me.

That's sad that she doesn't enjoy sitting out underneath the stars. ... When I was younger and lived out west I had the opportunity to sleep out under the stars a few times when camping. The skys are a little clearer there and I was always amazed at how many "shooting stars" you would see.

I was living there when Halley's comet was here last - on the last night of good visibility the local astronomy club was setting up telescopes up in the canyon. We drove up about 4:30 in the morning. If I remember correctly there were over 10,000 people on top of that mountain that night. Aside from the fact I nearly froze (mountain tops get cold at night) it is one of my favorite memories. All of these people were there to share a common experience. There was a family with young kids and a grandmother sitting behind me. I heard the father helping the kids find the comet with their binoculars and I kept thinking next time it comes those kids will be the grandparents. Anyway I have rambled on waaaaay too long.

that sounds AWSOME, i wish i could've done something like that. when was that, it doesnt seem like it was all that long ago. im probably wrong though. but thats a great memory to have. :D

that sounds AWSOME, i wish i could've done something like that. when was that, it doesnt seem like it was all that long ago. im probably wrong though. but thats a great memory to have. :D

I'd have to look it up for exact date but it was around 86 or 87

wow time flies by WAAAYYYY TOOO FAST, i would've never guessed it was that long ago. well i guess its true then, memory is the first to go.lol. :D so i'll only be about 90 next time it comes around, not too bad. its every 75 years right.

I'd have to look it up for exact date but it was around 86 or 87

Halley's Comet made it's trip around late 1985, and early 1986. I remember going to the Museum of Science and History to go view the comet at a special event, as well as the local Astronomy Club's meeting/celebration where they invited the public to come and see the comet(this is where I got to see Saturn and Jupiter for the first time in a large telescope, as well Halley's was the first major astronomical event I got to see in my very first telescope-which was a Christmas present)

Cool side/personal note:Plus, it will be easy for everyone to remember my little brother's 76 birthday! He was born in February 1986! And of course that was when Halley's was visible(well and a for a good deal of time before, but still).

Ive always loved this site and download the pictures into my computer's folder and use them as a screensaver.

Want to see the real thing? Look at

www.jackstargazer.com

Jack Horkheimer presents a 5 min show called Star Gazer on local public television in the US and then the shows are placed on the internet as streaming video. The presentation has been created using an astronomy program called Starry Night Backyard and shows interesting astronomical events for North America. Wish I'd find one for the Southern Hemisphere.

You will need to download Real Player to view the streaming video. Just follow the instructions on the Jack Horkheimer site.

Even explore your age on other worlds

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/age/index.html

OR

Weight on other worlds (if your game!)

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/weight/index.html

OR

Print out your own free starmap at

www.skymap.com (You'll see plenty with binoculars)

OR

Stir up some light pollution issues with your local authority if you want to-

(Rather political ain't it?) :D

http://www.darksky.org

Enjoy the real thing when Star Trek isn't on!