Sign in to follow this  
headborg

~~~The Days After~~~~

Killer Jones was ecstatic to see me, even though I had only been gone about 15 minutes. After he had ‘attended to business’, we just started walking down the street. As I walked, I started remembering all those little details about my missing family…how Amanda looked the first time I met her…our wedding day…her face, when she cooked something ‘special’ for me…how happy she was when she was sewing…the little ‘love notes’ she used to hide in my pockets…the panic we went through when Adam was born…how he loved swords and dragons and all things Sci-Fi….

I stopped, the tears blinding me so badly I couldn’t see where I was going.

“No…you’ve got to stop this…pull yourself together…Amanda would expect better of you,” I told myself, but it didn’t really seem to help much. I continued to wander aimlessly, trying to get my act back together before I faced Gwen again.

The chilly night air finally drove me back to the dorm. Gwen was sound asleep in the room next to Adam’s. She had left me a note:

Starbuck,

It’s possible your son might still be here…only not HERE. One of the other members think he sounds like one of the guys that was going to go round up some of the kids (a lot of them got left with no parents.) I’ll see you in the morning.

Gwen

It was a breezy afternoon. As the days seemed to come and go in blurs I wasn't certain it was a Sunday but it felt like one. I took the blanket from our bunk in the truck and spread it out by a extra mirrored panel I had left leaning against one of the towers. I had little food but to me it was a fine autumn day, the sun shown bright despite some overcast, there was a bit of a nip in the air, and I wanted to have a picnic with my husband.

Daniel appeared and almost laughed at the sight of me. I was wearing the dress I was in the process of sewing 16 years ago. It was to be my wedding dress if I had gone through with a marriage to an Amish gentleman. It was blue, made from durable cloth to withstand years of washings, simple with no buttons or zippers, the Amish only used pins no fanciful adornments. I giggled at Daniel's reaction to me. As he sat down in the mirror image of our picnic. I could see delight in his eyes along with undying love and a yearning to touch me just once more. The dogs in a distance frolicked and played. "I wish I could of fried a chicken and made some potato salad for you Daniel." I said as I nibbled on a bag of chips and sipped a glass of bottled water. "Don't worry about it Crystal, I never gone on a picnic with you just to eat." I could see my own reflection in the mirror blush at Daniel's comment and then I giggled at myself. In many ways not only were we husband and wife but over time we became each other's best friend.

I leaned close to the mirror and felt the presence of a warm kiss from Daniel. I caught a look in Daniel's eyes that disturbed me for a moment though I didn't know why. Daniel looked out toward our antenna and the mirrored panels. "You worked hard Crystal and you know what this is don't you?" He questioned. I nodded 'yes', "it's a transmitter of some sort." Daniel looked away as if he was conversing with someone unseen. I knew it was Phil. Daniel took a deep breathe and continued. "Transmitters transmit things..." I cut him off with my continuing his speech, "and receivers receive....things." It was then I knew Daniel wasn't coming here, that I was going there. I was in effect 'jumping the fence all over again' and always landing in Daniel's life and world.

Edited by BlueCrystal

The gentle afternoon breeze had now grown strong and sometimes howled through the trees in the fields far away. I could still hear the sound. The dogs were uneasy, like they sensed that something was going to happen. I knew a storm was brewing and getting ready to blow in. I grabbed Daniel's shirt and pulled it around me like a jacket and ran to the mirror calling for Daniel. Thunder crashed and towers were swaying up high in the heavens. Daniel appeared then turned and said something. I didn't hear, he pressed his hands to the glass and I ran to him. "Phil says it's tonight!" Daniel said almost shouting over the wind. I nodded I called the dogs then I looked at Daniel again. "Daniel," I said as I pressed myself as close to the mirror as I could,"if this doesn't work and I should...I'll be waiting for you in heaven." "It's got to work, Pretty One and it's heaven that will be waiting for us."

I fastened Barry, my lab/shepherd mix puppy into a harness, then I pulled on a harness I use when I scaled the tower and rigged the pulley. The wench had a handheld device so I lowered it and pulled the hook to me and wrapped it around a leg of the nearest tower. I looked back to see Daniel yelling something, his hand cupped around his head. I ran back to him to hear. "Phil says start the timer on the computer then you'll only have about three and a half minute to get up there where you need to be!" It took me a few minutes to get to the building that house the microwave computer via Daniel's truck. I looked at the program as it still flashed the word ABORT on the screen, I initiated the start of the program and ran to truck. I cut through the fields and crashed fences to save time. I jumped out of the truck and ran to the repeater that Daniel and I built that was linked to the dream catcher antenna and turned it on. I could hear it over the wind humming to life. I hooked Barry's harness to mine and I attached mine to the wench hook. I called Travis and gathered him into my arms. I turned to see Daniel's reflection in the mirror. I couldn't hear him but I saw him mouth the words. 'I love you.' The thunder roared above me as if the earth itself was saying I've lost enough daughters, your not going! I pressed the button and was lifted off the ground as the wench pulled the cable around the pulley. I looked below to see the mirrors and the lights, then above to the storm of the night and the lightning flashed illuminating all around me the dogs whimpered and whined. We were almost there to the top. I gasp at the sight. I wanted to close my eyes and pray but I think God knew what I had to say. The lightning struck nearby and I cried out in panic then calmed myself. With Barry hanging from me it was hard to get my breathe. The web antenna was illuminated in a bluish white light and the micro-wave beam had formed arc. I pressed the release button to the hook of the wench and plummeted to the earth below. Lightning hit the tower blowing up the leads and the mirrors shattered. The energy from the strike hit the power grid and a change re-acting knocked out the power from Ohio to Canada. The beam encompassed us and for a moment I didn't know which way was up or down. Then for a moment I ceased to exist in any world or form.

In the morning as the sun shown bright and warm. A gentle breeze tossed a blue dress across the ground that was wrapped in a man's work shirt. Two dog collars laid scattered on the ground with harnesses nearby. If you listen hard you could hear a song by Alison Krauss playing on Daniel's truck CD player.

~~~~It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart Without saying a word you can light up the dark Try as I may I could never explain What I hear when you don't say a thing The smile on your face lets me know that you need me

There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me The touch of your hand says that you'll catch me if ever I fall You say it best when you say nothing at all~~~~

On a broken piece of mirror was a etched saying.

In the reflections is where I'll be, in the mirrors will you see me.

Edited by BlueCrystal

Sleeping in the back of the Hummer, WAB starts dreaming. A loud noie jolts him awake. "Drat" he thinks. The engine shuts off. "Why do these things get only 11 mpg?" :naughty: Right then, a car drives up the gate of Ft. Hood.

October was a very busy month for the few remaining survivors of the ‘Great Holocaust” , Lida and Aaron had found a whole family of AmishTrek fans in Indiana and were busy setting up the ’ New World Order-- Eden. Nik was hard at work on rescuing the stranded astronauts with the reported help of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. Communications had been greatly improved with the use of the U.S. government provided satellite communications - SAT Phones.

The first week of October, myself , DL6, and WAB spent in the Houston area, we visited Astroworld. It was free, and there was no waiting in line at any of the rides. We then set about the work of cleaning up the dead animals at the zoo and disposing of the remains… then we found another use for the flame-thrower and went about cleaning up the surrounding Harris County of all the adult book stores.napalm.wav

Edited by headborg

post-820-1102744854_thumb.jpg WE love the smell of Napalm in the Morning! Weareborg, HB, DL6 perform early morning community clean-up at a local XXX video store. Edited by headborg

On October 7th, Weareborg took-off aboard the Blackhawk on his mission to aid Nik, Bill and Lenny, with their efforts toward readying the Shuttle for launch in Florida. Contact with him was lost, but word has it he later turned up at the gates of Ft. Hood.

Then next morning(Oct.8th), myself and DL6, raced in the opposite direction toward California to locate Doctor Who--somewhere in Rodsterlingville, Ca.( a adventure in itself-soon to be told in FanFict "Journey to Rodsterlingville")

Communication with this plain of existence was interrupted as the time distortion grew larger.