Sign in to follow this  
Eris_IV

The Dominion vs. Ancient Greece

Ok, I stole this from my own little msn group that a member posted and I just had to share it with you all!

Here is her quote and I totally agree with her...

"Gotta love em. Does anyone think that the Dominion is alot like the ancient Greeks? I know that they were based around the Romans which are similar but I've been doing a study of the Ancient Greeks and they sure do remind me of the Dominion. I think that the Spartans are alot like the Jem'Hadar. I also found someone who had made a Dominion Dictionary based on that bit of Domionese on the show and they remarked that it sounded like Greek. The Greeks even have a Goddess named Eris! The Goddess of Discord may I add...or maybe it was Discourse, whateva.

"I could swear the writers had her(Eris Kallisti Discordia{Greek Goddess}) in mind when they created Eris the Vorta, they both started wars for a start. The Vorta also seem to find chaos quite entertaining."

Isn't that so cool?

Maybe it's just me... :dude:

When Did They Ever Speak Dominion?I Wanna Learn It!

262770[/snapback]

Weyoun did briefly in "statistical probabilities." That's the only time I've heard it.

Cool!Thanks Eris_IV!

262971[/snapback]

You're welcome...Thanks to ussacclaim for letting us know in which episode Weyoun spoke that phrase...

I really wish we could have heard more...Heard a lot of Breen...but that wasn't as fun...I wanted to hear Weyoun speak in his native tongue... :dude:

The Spartans are like the Jem'Hadar but I can't find anything similar to the helots.

sorry, don't see much similarity between the ancient greeks and the dominion. i thought the dominion quite original.

Cool!Thanks Eris_IV!

262971[/snapback]

You're welcome...Thanks to ussacclaim for letting us know in which episode Weyoun spoke that phrase...

263047[/snapback]

:lol: Happy to be of assistance! :hug:

Dominionese?!? I have a hard enough time with English most of the time, lol. It would be pretty cool to be able to speak it though. I wouldn't mind learning Klingon either.

I also think that the Dominion was nothing like ancient greece...Less of city states more like one conquering nation...More like the Nazis

I can't really see any link between the Dominion and the Ancient Greeks, I suggest you look through those books again.

I can't really see any link between the Dominion and the Ancient Greeks, I suggest you look through those books again.

267841[/snapback]

Did you even read my post? I quoted someone else so why are you being rude in your suggestion? And how does this not sound similar? >>>"I could swear the writers had her(Eris Kallisti Discordia{Greek Goddess}) in mind when they created Eris the Vorta, they both started wars for a start. The Vorta also seem to find chaos quite entertaining."

There may have been some intent with the name. It's not unusual for a writer to put in little hints as to the origin of their ideas. It would be like someone writing an situation similar to the Kennedy Assassination and naming the assassin something like 'Kennedy Leftwich'. I don't think the culture of the two groups are that similar though. I think most of the similarities are just little touches like that, but I'd have to look more in depth to know for sure.

The Dominion reminds me more of the ancient Persian Empire than the ancient Greeks. Persia was an empire with nobility(the Founders) that ruled, and satraps(the Vorta) that ruled the provinces, with a large army and elite solders called Immortals(the Gem'Hadar). They encouraged infighting among the Greek city states so that they could keep their enemies divided. Athens would perhaps represent the Federation and Sparta the Klingons. After the Greeks united briefly and defeated the two Persian invasions, Athens and Sparta fought a long war. This is simliar to the Dominion getting the Klingon Empire and the Federation to go to war, however that did happen before the Dominion invaded while the Peloponnesian war happened after the Persian wars. The Dominion brought Cardassia into it's empire, similiar to the Persian Empire annexing the Anatolian Greeks of Asia Minor. I think you are onto something though. This time period seems to have inspired the writers of DS9 when they created the Dominion.

Edited by fenriz275

Wow, that's interesting, fenriz275...Thanks for sharing with us!

And yea, Captain Ericks, just little touches like that really stood out to my friend and I, too...Nothing major, just the whole Eris thing is what's the most thought-provoking....It's quite trippy, I think....