Sign in to follow this  
sea trooper

A problem I have

I'm watching In The Hands Of The Prophets and I hear Miles and Nerys saying the words "Four in the morning". Now I've been watching Trek for about a year now, and I've never heard them say time outside of Military time. And also, morning. How can it be morning on a Space Station. Unless Earth time is also Deep Space Nine time, which I think they are very far away from each other to be considered in the same habitat. And Bajor is right near by so I highly doubt that their time zones are EXACTLY the same as Earth. Why not use Bajoran time? Most of the people on DS9 are bajorans. And other aliens in that matter. If they are using the time zones of a planet that is millions of miles away, then I don't think that would be fair. But remember Nerys said "Four in the morning" too, so that says something, with confusing and distorted results.

But, I remember an episode of The Next Generation where there are different time shifts on the Enterprise. They say "Computer, morning shift" and the lighting changes, or they say "Computer, night shift" and the lighting completely changes again. That is exactly the same, but Enterprise is a starship that is originated from Earth so the times don't really matter.

But the Deep Space Nine is a Cardasian space station. And Cardasia should have a completely different time zone too...

Hmmm, well DS9 is a Bajoran station that's true. However Starfleet is running it so it could be they changed the time to match Federation schedules. Like cargo deliver, shift changed etc...Now saying 4 in the morning would simply mean 0400hours in military time I believe. So 4 in the morning would be 0400hrs. Or maybe a couple of people keep the old time as well as the new for two reasons. Sentimental is one and to teach their children in cas they go back to Earth. Thas is my guess but mine is as good as anyone else's. :b-day:

They are on Bajoran time in DS9 ... they're always talking about 26 hour days. And they use military time, but on a 26 hour basis.

I'll bet it's a headache trying to coordinate things between all the different space stations, empires, etc. etc. Everybody has to be on a different time revolving around their own base of operations. How confusing.

But, I remember an episode of The Next Generation where there are different time shifts on the Enterprise. They say "Computer, morning shift" and the lighting changes, or they say "Computer, night shift" and the lighting completely changes again. That is exactly the same, but Enterprise is a starship that is originated from Earth so the times don't really matter.

260973[/snapback]

Doing that on a starship may be so that people don't get space fever or whatever. They might go crazy with no difference in lighting. Plus, having the light changes would bring back memories of planetside and probably help morale.

And since Galaxy-class vessels are designed for deep space missions, anything that keeps the crew happy would be an advantage, which explains quarters being toward the outside of the ship so everyone gets a windo and why all the windows are big, as well as all the comfortable furnishings laying around the ship.

You also have to take into consideration that when you hear Kira say "Four in the morning" you are hearing the UT translate what she is saying into English, in her native language there might be a completely different word for "morning" but we hear the English translation.

And I too always take times on DS9 to be done on Bajoran time (26 hour day).

You also have to take into consideration that when you hear Kira say "Four in the morning" you are hearing the UT translate what she is saying into English, in her native language there might be a completely different word for "morning" but we hear the English translation.

261108[/snapback]

:huh: What? I thought she spoke in english.... This is always so confusing. Are we really sure that she speaks in native Bajoran with the use of a UT???

261108[/snapback]

:huh: What? I thought she spoke in english.... This is always so confusing. Are we really sure that she speaks in native Bajoran with the use of a UT???

261127[/snapback]

Well you have to consider the fact that before the first episode of DS9 she was a Bajoran freedom fighter, when would she have the time to learn what would be to her an obscure earth language? Why would she need to know how to speak English? If she had a reason to learn an Earth language then why English, why not German or French or Spanish?

Also think back to "Statistical Probabilities" when the patients were given access to Dominion-Federation negotiations, at one point they had the computer play a part of Weyoun speaking in his native language.

So I think it's a fair assumption that what we are hearing is the UT whenever we hear an alien speak.

OK, I understand how there isn't a "day" and "night" in space, so they adjust the schedules to simulate it. Our astronauts do the same thing.

But why do all the surprise missions, sneak attacks, and other emergencies all seem to happen in the "daytime"?

Also think back to "Statistical Probabilities" when the patients were given access to Dominion-Federation negotiations, at one point they had the computer play a part of Weyoun speaking in his native language.

Oh man, I thought that was so awesome! I keep forgetting that other races speak differently but the UT makes everything ok.

OK, I understand how there isn't a "day" and "night" in space, so they adjust the schedules to simulate it.  Our astronauts do the same thing.

But why do all the surprise missions, sneak attacks, and other emergencies all seem to happen in the "daytime"?

261168[/snapback]

Not all are in the day, watch The Siege of AR-558. That was set at night. Also watch Visionary (season 3), a lot of the emergencies there happen very early in the"morning".

Something new learned every day.

I guess next time I need to think some more before I go making new threads. :huh: That's a "newbie" for you.

OH yea, :huh: Good discussion :huh: Just when I think I know what your talking about :laugh: I was right there with ya, then :o :huh: But I know what your talking about, really I do. :blink:

Not all are in the day, watch The Siege of AR-558. That was set at night. Also watch Visionary (season 3), a lot of the emergencies there happen very early in the"morning".

261418[/snapback]

AR-558 was a ground battle, with real night. That doesn't count. I didn't see Visionary. But my question is why do the space-bourne emergencies always happen when everyone is wide-awake?

261418[/snapback]

AR-558 was a ground battle, with real night. That doesn't count. I didn't see Visionary. But my question is why do the space-bourne emergencies always happen when everyone is wide-awake?

261476[/snapback]

Ok, I didn't realize you were talking about ship/station based situations. I think it's just a matter of the writers writing it that way, though I can remember at least a couple of occasions with Sisko being awakened to come to Ops to deal with situations. At the moment I can't think of the episodes (I'm actually studying for a test for tomorrow while I'm posting lol... I feel like I'm back in high school lol).

But basically I think it's just for the flow of the show. If they had to have the stars of the show jump out of bed and get dressed then rush to the battle you just lost 5 minutes of air time and the battle or emergench hasn't even been shot yet.

I would have to agree about the writing. Also, since the show centers around the main characters there is nothing to say that emergencies do not happen during off hours, just that they are not shown because they are handled by more obscure characters that are not seen most of the time. The crisis in Move Along Home took place during the "night" hours as well.

Okay, now I have a problem with the language and translaters. Sometimes there are words in Klingon which other people just don't understand. Does that mean that the UT database is incomplete with all Klingon language or they are all speaking the same language? Also, like in DS9 and TNG, there are new species all the time. I'm sure the UTs aren't that good that they can translate an entire race's language in nanoseconds. Like the Borg. The TNG crew have never seen the Borg in their life. Yet they understood their language. And so far out I don't think anyone there spoke English. And all the new aliens from the Delta quadrant. I know it's just a very good television show, but you'd think they'd take the time to sort this out :dude:

They are on Bajoran time in DS9 ... they're always talking about 26 hour days.  And they use military time, but on a 26 hour basis. 

I'll bet it's a headache trying to coordinate things between all the different space stations, empires, etc. etc.  Everybody has to be on a different time revolving around their own base of operations.  How confusing.

261002[/snapback]

Kinda remind me of working everything out between london and different places in the US

Okay, now I have a problem with the language and translaters. Sometimes there are words in Klingon which other people just don't understand. Does that mean that the UT database is incomplete with all Klingon language or they are all speaking the same language? Also, like in DS9 and TNG, there are new species all the time. I'm sure the UTs aren't that good that they can translate an entire race's language in nanoseconds. Like the Borg. The TNG crew have never seen the Borg in their life. Yet they understood their language. And so far out I don't think anyone there spoke English. And all the new aliens from the Delta quadrant. I know it's just a very good television show, but you'd think they'd take the time to sort this out :dude:

262982[/snapback]

Well, some things like the Klingon words you just have to remember that there is no real "UT" and they have to put those words in there as a kind of reminder that it's a Sci-Fi show and Worf is "really" a Klingon. If the UT was real then it would translate all of the words.

As for new races and it being "that good", pretty much the same answer goes. Not every race is completely understood by the UT right away. Watch "Sanctuary" from DS9's second season and you will see that it takes the UT about a quarter of the episode before it begins to pick up the language and actually translate it to English.

So basically you just have to put those little "inconsistencies" out of your mind and just have the basic understanding that if you are hearing an alien speak (Bajoran, Klingon, Romulan etc...) then you are actually hearing the "UT". But since it's an American TV show you hear it in english.

I had always just assumed that the words that did not get translated were words that did not really have a translation. Even with the languages on earth there are some words that do not translate well from one language to another.

It's a good thread, a good discussion and a valid one too.

261454[/snapback]

Agreed, I actually learned a few things reading this thread. Great thread, sea trooper.

(I'm actually studying for a test for tomorrow while I'm posting lol... I feel like I'm back in high school lol).

261478[/snapback]

What kind of test? Are you working on a degree? My husband is taking an horrendous class right now ... I'm sure he'd gladly trade a "test" for any of these dreaded term papers he's having to write! Ick.

I had always just assumed that the words that did not get translated were words that did not really have a translation.  Even with the languages on earth there are some words that do not translate well from one language to another.

263237[/snapback]

Excellent point! And it would explain how Klingons sometimes lapse into "Klingonese" during a conversation up to which point they'd been speaking English!

You know what would be funny? When you're looking at the view screen from the bridge of a Klingon ship and Sisko or Picard are talking if the UT were to be translating what they were saying into Klingon. Wouldn't the Klingons hear "Klingon" out of the UT? Or am I oversimplifying this?

(I'm actually studying for a test for tomorrow while I'm posting lol... I feel like I'm back in high school lol).

261478[/snapback]

What kind of test? Are you working on a degree? My husband is taking an horrendous class right now ... I'm sure he'd gladly trade a "test" for any of these dreaded term papers he's having to write! Ick.

No, this is training for a new job. Nothing major and nothing hard at all. Just a lot of memorization.