Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

The Ending to Mudds Women

I watched this episode last night, and I was confused about what happened with the ending. So this women has been taking this drug to get beautiful as part of a prostitution fruad and I understood that. But she turned beautiful by taking a fake drug and the reasoning was if you think you are beautiful, than you must be. Am I on the right track here. She was ugly but she wasn't ugly?

As for the episode itself, I didn't like the theme of Prostitution and having women as property (Which was basically mentioned throughout) but I did like Mudd himself. I thought this is the worst episode I have seen so far this season.

The theme wasn't prostitution, it was something similar to what would occur in places like Alaska or other remote areas where mostly men would go to mine for some mineral or precious metal, women that were looking for husbands would be brought in to meet men that were looking for wives.

Now as to the ending and what it all meant, it's been several years since I've seen the episode but essentially that's correct from what I remember. The "moral" of the story was that you are what you project.

I found this in Yahoo: No pictures, sorry. Is this the same guy?? :dude: Probably not. I have no idea who this Harry Mudd is anyway. ^_^

" Major Mudd was an astronaut, that was supposed to be on a space station. He not only hosted the kid's show, he showed cartoons and had lots of games for the kids in the audience.

Anyone out there have any recollections of WNAC-TV Ch.7's triple-threat Edward T. McDonnell, who hosted the Three Stooges every weekday as "Major Mudd", science fiction movies on Monday (later Saturday) nights as Feep on FANTASMIC FEATURES, and hosted jungle movies Saturday afternoons as Lord Bumblebrook?"

Edited by Jeanway

Not at the moment, although I could look into it... Like I did while researching Morgus...

Although, this is a discussion on the first episode featuring Harcourt "Harry" Fenton Mudd, who, in the beginning of the episode, assumes the identity of Captain Leo Walsh... ^_^ He was better in the episode: "I, Mudd", in my opinion...

Although I did not think this episode was terrible.

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Edited by drwho42

The theme wasn't prostitution, it was something similar to what would occur in places like Alaska or other remote areas where mostly men would go to mine for some mineral or precious metal, women that were looking for husbands would be brought in to meet men that were looking for wives.

Now as to the ending and what it all meant, it's been several years since I've seen the episode but essentially that's correct from what I remember. The "moral" of the story was that you are what you project.

259561[/snapback]

But selling women based on how they look and nothing else is the defination of protitution, is it not? These women were being sold, and made to look beautiful based on a fraud. That isn't prostitution?

I don't think that the theme of the episode was prostitution. Women use to go across to areas where there were all men and they would go to get married to them. Sometimes they were called mail order brides.

259561[/snapback]

But selling women based on how they look and nothing else is the definition of protitution, is it not? These women were being sold, and made to look beautiful based on a fraud. That isn't prostitution?

259637[/snapback]

No, that's not Prostitution. The definition of Prostitution is:

The act or practice of engaging in sex acts for hire.

Now in a loose interpretation of the word you could say that the women "prostituted" themselves to get husbands but I think you are looking at this episode through 21st century eyes and with 21st century values. Remember, this episode was created in 1966 (or 1967).

I'm not condoning the "activity" of Mudd and the women but I think you're just reading too much into it.

But selling women based on how they look and nothing else is the definition of protitution, is it not? These women were being sold, and made to look beautiful based on a fraud. That isn't prostitution?

I just saw, maybe as part of Sixty Minutes, or some other such show, how matchmakers, who are paid a great deal of money, find suitable wives for well-to-do men. The matchmakers look for women with certain qualities, including beauty. This is not new.

Nor is it new that someone wanting a rich husband would falsify credentials.

One of my male collegues is rumored to have met his wife through that sort of an arrangement.

I watched this episode last night, and I was confused about what happened with the ending.  So this women has been taking this drug to get beautiful as part of a prostitution fruad and I understood that.  But she turned beautiful by taking a fake drug and the reasoning was if you think you are beautiful, than you must be.  Am I on the right track here.  She was ugly but she wasn't ugly? 

As for the episode itself,  I didn't like the theme of Prostitution and having women as property (Which was basically mentioned throughout) but I did like Mudd himself.  I thought this is the worst episode I have seen so far this season.

259554[/snapback]

A related review

I watched this episode last night, and I was confused about what happened with the ending.  So this women has been taking this drug to get beautiful as part of a prostitution fruad and I understood that.  But she turned beautiful by taking a fake drug and the reasoning was if you think you are beautiful, than you must be.  Am I on the right track here.  She was ugly but she wasn't ugly? 

As for the episode itself,  I didn't like the theme of Prostitution and having women as property (Which was basically mentioned throughout) but I did like Mudd himself.  I thought this is the worst episode I have seen so far this season.

259554[/snapback]

A related review

335035[/snapback]

Ironic that this thread is pretty much talking about "matchmaking" and the Trek Nation site had an ad for match.com :unsure:

Regarding the moral of 'you are what you project,' maybe they were aliens, and in their species that really would be true. :unsure:

Meh, back to the mail order bride/prostitution thing, prostitution is sex for a price. This is more of an arranged marriage deal. Not a great episode, but I do love Harry.

If I recall correctly, this episode was written as a possible 2nd pilot, as was The Omega Glory and 1 or 2 others. Since it wasn't selected for the Pilot they just made it into a 1st season episode.

I found this in Yahoo: No pictures, sorry. Is this the same guy?? :clap: Probably not. I have no idea who this Harry Mudd is anyway. <_<

" Major Mudd was an astronaut, that was supposed to be on a space station. He not only hosted the kid's show, he showed cartoons and had lots of games for the kids in the audience.

Anyone out there have any recollections of WNAC-TV Ch.7's triple-threat Edward T. McDonnell, who hosted the Three Stooges every weekday as "Major Mudd", science fiction movies on Monday (later Saturday) nights as Feep on FANTASMIC FEATURES, and hosted jungle movies Saturday afternoons as Lord Bumblebrook?"

I do not understand what you thought you were reading. Any familiarity with the ST:TOS episodes would give you an indication the episode being asked about is Mudd's Women. Why should we be interested in a Major Mudd ?

Very well and good . . . now can you get on track and look up the Star Trek episode or just go look up Harcourt Fenton Mudd who is a well known, ahem, troublemaker for Kirk and crew . . . I wish a few hundred more Stella's for his 'pleasure'.

I just watched this episode last week while going through the remastered Treks.