Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Does Our Moon Have a Name? ~

No, WF. Your correct. We established that back on page one of this thread.

You'd think the astronauts would've asked when they were up there.

"Hello...um...Moon. I'm Neil."

"S'up Neil."

"Not much. Just taking leaps for mankind, stuff like that."

"Cool."

"Hey?"

"Yea?"

"Do you have a name? Or is calling you 'Moon' cool?"

"Moon's ok. 'Luna' is my actual name but I don't use it that much."

"Really? Why not?"

"I dunno. Kinda stiff I think. My mother calls me 'Moonpie' or 'Moony' sometimes."

"Really?"

"Yep. They called me 'Stinky' when I was in school."

"Why?"

"I used to splash on the AquaVelva. Trying to impress the ladies."

"Didn't work huh?"

"No."

"I'm an Olde Spice man myself."

"Really? Does that stuff work?"

"That and being an astronaut, works like a charm man. Like a charm."

"Sweet."

Click For Spoiler
I'm not vouching for the historical accuracy of the above conversation but hey, it could have happened. :flowers:

Wasn't Jack Nicholson an Astronaut in that movie??

post-897-1097252850.gifpost-897-1097252823.jpgThose are certainly "Terms of Endearment" Fen :flowers: Get it? :flowers:

Edited by Jeanway

Okay, I know the fact that The Moons name was resolved on the first page but you're all forgetting that Earth actually has two moons, the second of which was only discovered in 1994 and is called, unsure of the spelling, Cruithnea, pronounced CREW - IN - E - A.

I believe THAT has already been brought to the thread Matt. It's not a true Moon, but an asteroid.

~ A Blue Moon ~

How often does a Full Moon occur twice in a single month? Exactly once in a Blue Moon. In fact, the modern usage of the term "Blue Moon" refers to the second Full Moon in a single month. Tonight's Blue Moon (Universal Time) will be the first since September 1993. A Blue Moon typically occurs every few years. The reason for the rarity of the Blue Moon is that the 29.53 days between full moons is just slightly shorter than the number of days in the average month. Don't, however, expect the moon to look blue tonight! The term "Blue Moon" is thought to derive from common language expressions used hundreds of years ago. It is possible for the Moon to appear tinged by a blue hue, sometimes caused by fine dirt circulating in the Earth's atmosphere, possibly from a volcanic explosion. The picture below is of our Moon taken was taken in a dark blue morning sky. The bright crescent is the only part directly exposed to sunlight - the rest of the Moon glows from sunlight reflected from the Earth. In this dramatic photo, however, the planet Jupiter is also visible along with its four largest moons.

post-897-1097259762.gif

My Blue Moon is over Kentucky :biggrin:

Edited by Jeanway

Okay, I know the fact that The Moons name was resolved on the first page but you're all forgetting that Earth actually has two moons, the second of which was only discovered in 1994 and is called, unsure of the spelling, Cruithnea, pronounced CREW - IN - E - A.

270235[/snapback]

Seriously? Got a link so I can check it out?

Red moons? We used to call them Harvest Moons. I've always liked them, I always thought they were very pretty. I remember seeing one that was so red it literally was the color of blood.

Wednesday brings total eclipse of moon

Sunday, October 24, 2004

This year's Blood Moon will surely live up to its namesake — if only for a few hours. On Wednesday, the moon will be eclipsed by the Earth's shadow for roughly two hours, starting at 9:14 p.m., lasting until around 1 a.m. Thursday morning.

When the moon rises around 5 p.m. it will loom over the eastern horizon, starkly exanimate and ashen. As night advances, this will change dramatically. Slowly, the moon will begin to dim, as if being consumed by a nebulous spectre.

At the height of this eerie event, the moon will take on a deep, blood red glaze. After this, the moon will slowly brighten, and the cold, white, harsh full moon will continue along toward the western horizon. post-897-1098629523.jpgThe redness is actually the light of all the world's sunsets and sunrises occurring simultaneously across the globe, as viewed from the surface of the moon

An eclipse will occur every time the moon slips into the million-mile long cone-shaped shadow produced by the surface of the Earth opposed to the sun. This shadow has two main sections to it, an outer shadow called the "penumbra," and a totally obscured darker portion called the "umbra."

Penumbral eclipses occur when the moon enters the outer shadow region and isn't very spectacular to observe. (In fact, only astronomers get a hoot from these.)

A total eclipse of the moon, like the one set to occur this Wednesday, happen when the full moon passes through the inner, darker shadow where all of the sunlight is obscured by the interloping Earth.

The red hue of the moon during the height of a total eclipse is sunlight, but it is sunlight streaming onto the moon's surface through the thin ring of earthen atmosphere encircling our planet.

post-897-1098630030.gif

Edited by Jeanway

Yes, I know that. That's why I asked where the best place to see it is.

In other words, what is the best place geographically to view this event?

Edited by wishfire

Haha, very funny. But seriously...

I live in southern California. Do you know if I'll be able to see it well?

"I'm NOT a 'Sooth-Sayer' wf. You have to take your chances like everybody else. If it cloudy you may not see anything, I don't know, you figure it out." :naughty::wow:

OK, here is what it looks like, in case you miss it. This is of the last total Lunar eclipse in May 2003: Remember now this Thursday October 28th. morning is when it's going to happen, the exact time??? Probably just before dawn wherever you are. That's just a guess though.

http://www.vidiot.com/LunarEclipse.html

The following statements are based on the presumed accuracy of JWs posted animation.

If the position of the Continents shown in the animation is correct then YES Southern California should be in position to see it (or at least the end of it.)

In the animation it appears (for Calif) the event begins (Moon starts disappearing) around dusk.

At (USA) positions EAST of California the event will be occurring later in the evening...

Here is the animation again:

post-897-1098630030.gif

So you're saying that the source you got the info from doesn't say anything about place of best view.

Sigh, I don't think it matters now anyways. The forecast now calls for rain. :naughty:

Sigh, I don't think it matters now anyways. The forecast now calls for rain.  :naughty:

276019[/snapback]

The clouds mostly ruined it for as too. :wow:

Now, now, wf, it's ok. I've seen one and it's just dark out then it gets a little darker then it gets dark again. :wow: Let me see if there is another one, well, of course there will be another one, :naughty: but I mean when. :D

Like I asked.

Anyone howl at the Moon?

Any "Wolves" in here?

Not the two legged kind either?? :P

Look at this picture and if something is stirred in you, you know what I mean. :P

post-1696-1102891593.jpg

While I know that it's called Luna, I think "The Moon" is so much easier for everyone. I mean, you don't turn on a weather forecast and hear, "...and for all you stargazers out there, tonight will be a full Luna."