Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Does Our Moon Have a Name? ~

Why not ours?? I often wondered about his. The only thing I've found about this is:The Moon has gone by other names. The Greeks called it Artemis and the Romans knew it as Luna (or Diana, the virgin goddess). Luna endures in the word lunar, which refers to all things of the Moon, but not of other moons. And there are seasonal Moon names, like September's Harvest Moon or, in August, the Sturgeon Moon!

Did you see the moon tonight?? I've never seen it so bright. And I can even make out the details without a telescope. This must be September's Harvest Moon. Eventhough today is August 31. Three more hours it will be September. :innocent:

You got any good pic's of the moon?

OK, I just found this too:

Full Moon Names

January Full Wolf Moon, Full Old Moon

February Full Snow Moon, Full Hunger Moon

March Full Worm Moon, Full Crow Moon, Full Crust Moon, Full Sugar Moon, Full Sap Moon

April Full Pink Moon, Full Sprouting Grass Moon, Full Egg Moon, Full Fish Moon

May Full Flower Moon, Full Corn Planting Moon, Full Milk Moon

June Full Strawberry Moon, Full Rose Moon, Full Hot Moon

July Full Buck Moon, Full Thunder Moon, Full Hay Moon

August Full Sturgeon Moon, Full Red Moon, Full Green Corn Moon

September Full Harvest Moon, Full Corn Moon, Full Barley Moon

October Full Hunter's Moon, Full Travel Moon, Full Dying Grass Moon

November Full Beaver Moon, Full Frost Moon

December Full Cold Moon, Full Long Nights Moon

Well, not everything needs a name...

In some science-fictional genres, civilisations don't go bothering what to call themselves, or the timeline that they are in.

And, this is the link I posted on my links thread...

Lunar Photo of the Day

And from another thread of mine...

Some of the odd structures on the Moon....

Click For Spoiler
bara-logo.jpg
lastresort.jpg42.gif

257935[/snapback]

I could put some up but I might be banned for it.

:innocent:

Anyone know what a "Baby Moon" is? Can you post a pic of one?? :innocent: And I don't mean a baby's bottom either. :laugh:

Anyone know what a "Baby Moon" is? Can you post a pic of one?? :notworthy: And I don't mean a baby's bottom either. :unsure:

257951[/snapback]

Baby Moon? Do you mean "New Moon"?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020419.html

http://www.dosgatos.com/au/newmoon.html

257978[/snapback]

NOPE. I'll give you a hint. This is a trick question AE :laugh: { Very beautiful pic's by the way.} Think " The Sopranos" "Woke up this morning, had a blue moon in my eyes." :laugh: Anyone understand yet???? Fen??? :wink2:

The moon was beautiful the last two nights as a matter of fact at 630am I saw it in western sky with pink clouds. What a beautiful site. Then the sun came up on oppiste side. I have to agree with VBG I thought the name of our moon was Luna. "Blue moon, you saw me standing alone...without a dream in my heart without a love of my own......."

O.K. Here's another challenge for ya all. What's a 'Moon Pie' :unsure: Can you post a picture??? :notworthy:

Jeanway a moon pie is a sweet treat Two choclate covered cookie type thingies with a marhsmellowy middle (If memory serves) mmmmmmmmmm.

Or it could be if you took Mars and the Earth and squished them together with the moon in the middle, that would be a "moon pie"...lol...

Jeanway a moon pie is a sweet treat Two choclate covered cookie type thingies with a marhsmellowy middle (If memory serves) mmmmmmmmmm.

Or it could be if you took Mars and the Earth and squished them together with the moon in the middle, that would be a "moon pie"...lol...

258176[/snapback]

Mmmmmm, Moon Pie...

Probably the best reason we went to the Moon...

To retrieve the delicious pies... And not the cheese.. :notworthy:

But then the

Selenites got angry, and they wanted us to quit visiting their world... :unsure:

moon-pie.gif

lastresort.jpg42.gif

258176[/snapback]

Mmmmmm, Moon Pie...

Probably the best reason we went to the Moon...

To retrieve the delicious pies... And not the cheese.. :unsure:

But then the

Selenites got angry, and they wanted us to quit visiting their world... :notworthy:

moon-pie.gif

lastresort.jpg42.gif

258318[/snapback]

Thanks Doc, where'd you find the picture :laugh: OK, How about 'Baby Moons', nobody got that one yet, Doc????? I'll give you a hint 'Mopar'. :laugh:

Every since I watched the "Green Mile" I can't look at Moonpies the same way again. :notworthy:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising Lyrics

I see the bad moon rising

I see trouble on the way

I see earthquakes and lightnin'

I see bad times today

Don't go 'round tonight

It's bound to take your life

There's a bad moon on the rise

I hear hurricanes blowin'

I know the end is commin' soon

I fear rivers over flowin'

I hear the voice of rage and ruin

Don't go 'round tonight

(instrumental)

Hope you got your things together

Hope you are quite prepared to die

Looks like we'er in for nasty weather

One eye is taken for an eye

Don't go 'round tonight

Don't go 'round tonight

OK, How about 'Baby Moons', nobody got that one yet, Doc????? I'll give you a hint 'Mopar'. :notworthy:

258320[/snapback]

Now I get it! :unsure: *slaps forehead*

BabyMoons300.jpg

I used to have those on a 69 Impala I named The Green Machine.

Why not ours?? I often wondered about his. The only thing I've found about this is:The Moon has gone by other names. The Greeks called it Artemis and the Romans knew it as Luna (or Diana, the virgin goddess). Luna endures in the word lunar, which refers to all things of the Moon, but not of other moons. And there are seasonal Moon names, like September's Harvest Moon or, in August, the Sturgeon Moon!

Did you see the moon tonight?? I've never seen it so bright. And I can even make out the details without a telescope. This must be September's Harvest Moon. Eventhough today is August 31. Three more hours it will be September. :notworthy:

257935[/snapback]

Selene is the Greek equivalent to Luna. She is the Titan goddess of the moon.

Diana/Artemis did have some connection to the moon but, Selene/Luna, Theia, and Phoebe were the main moon goddesses in Greek/Roman Mythology (THeia and Phoebe were Titanesses, and Theia was the mother of Selene, Helios-the Sun, and Eos - the Dawn).

Primarily, I have always thought the actual designations were Luna (for the Moon, though most of the time I see it written in books as just "moon" or "Earth's Moon") and Sol (for the Sun, which is the Roman variant of Helios, the Sun god and brother of Luna)

I remember an episode of DS9 where Jake and another person were joking about how peopld on Earth always referred to "the Moon" as "the Moon" as if no other planets had moons.

Does anyone else remember?

I remember an episode of DS9 where Jake and another person were joking about how peopld on Earth always referred to "the Moon" as "the Moon" as if no other planets had moons.

Does anyone else remember?

258376[/snapback]

Yep, that was "Valiant". Jake and Nog were on the Cadet ship and one of the Cadets grew up on the Moon and it was in their discussion that that comes from.

Know what these are called?...

21540.jpg

Click For Spoiler
Moon Finned Valve Covers

258358[/snapback]

Nice AE :laugh: Your spoiler doesn't work. :laugh: So what are they called, just type it!!! :notworthy: OH, sorry, now I see it in the reply :blink: DUH!! OK, I'll shut up now :unsure:

O.K. New Challenge. Who was Mr. Moony { Moonie??} Post a picture of him and tell us who he was. :unsure: :notworthy:

Gale Gordon aka Mr. Mooney aka Theodore J. Mooney, The Lucy Show (1963-1968)

He was also Mr Wilson on the old Dennis the Menace show. :unsure:

...ahem( Moony? Monnie? :notworthy: Exactly where are the Grammar police now? :cops: )

Click For Spoiler
Monnie? I mean Moonie. They're after me, that's where. :laugh:
Edited by fenriz275