Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Which issue most influences your vote

Which issue most influences your vote?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which issue most influences your vote?

• Taxes
    • Social security
    • Employment/Economy
    • War on Terror/National Security
    • Education
    • Environment
    • Health Care
    • Abortion/Same sex marriage
    • other

Just curious what the driving issue is for most people. I made this a poll only - although it would be good to discuss each of the issues in a separate post.

I combined a couple of related issues -

I think,for me the thing that influences my vote the most are the people or special interest groups who back a particular candidate.

When you are close to the center, as I feel that I am, you get suspicious of a candidate who has the backing of ultra-liberal anti-war types or any other "fringe" extremist group with radical viewpoints. These groups like to say they see both sides of the issues, but they have complete tunnel vision when it comes to their cause.

For example, I detest Michael Moore and Phil Donahue ... thus any candidate who has their support will not have mine. If those two are behind the guy, chances are just about 100% that there is something about the candidate that I will not agree with. Likewise for Janene Garofolo or Mike Farrell, Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.

It's hard to sort through all the policital rhetoric of the candidates. As Kira put it so aptly: "You cannot judge a person by what they say, only by what they do." Thus, Kerry's voting record as a U.S. Senator for the past 30 years is VERY KEY to understanding who Kerry really is. What George Bush has or has not accomplished in office for the past four years is also key, as is every statement and action he has taken.

I have not decided which candidate I am going to vote for as yet ... Garafolo doesn't like Kerry, which makes me think that I might like Kerry. But I really like Richard Cheney who everybody seems to hate! To me he has more sense than anyone in D.C. currently, including the President. We'll see how I feel in November.

Edited by gul_nodrog

Mostly the war, but also the same sex marriages and I always care about the enviroment. That is why I support Kerry.

My only main issue will be economy/ employment....

The war and stuff is an issue, too...but that's more unpredictable and harder to control...

Way too many jobs were lost in this term...let's hope the next four years will be better...

(Go Kerry!)

Abortion/Same sex marriage/ moral issues

My faith dictates what I should stand for. Even though I can't vote, I need to stand for the principles I believe in.

I would say War on Terror/National Security influences my vote same sex marriges is nothing new in holland and the rest do peek my intrest but not as much as security in todays world.

Edited by hangon

I voted abortions and same sex marrage, I want Kerry to win because he will leave the abortion issue alone and women will continue to have a choice. And I'm all for Same sex marrage, this is an issue the federal goverment has no right to interfere with. It should be a state or local goverment issue (of course I don't see why anyone should stand in the way of two people in love.)

As long as Bush is president then people rights will continue to be in jeapordy.

I agree with the points you made Klingonmike. I and I am also very concerned about our economy,environment and unemployment

I voted abortions and same sex marrage, I want Kerry to win because he will leave the abortion issue alone and women will continue to have a choice. And I'm all for Same sex marrage, this is an issue the federal goverment has no right to interfere with. It should be a state or local goverment issue (of course I don't see why anyone should stand in the way of two people in love.)

As long as Bush is president then people rights will continue to be in jeapordy.

260280[/snapback]

I chose other because I can't just let one issue sway my vote either way. I will decline to give my political issues in this thread all's I will say is that I am a Christian and I will let my religous beliefs guide my voting.

I voted War on Terror/National Security.Abortion and Same Sex marraige matter to me also, but I'm all for defending the country, preemptively or otherwise.

<By the way, My views on Abortion and Same Sex marraige are on opposite sides of the spectrum form each other. Pro same sex marraige, against abortion.>

Probly already talked about this but I have a bad memory.

Taxes influenced me i thinks. They keep raising it. They get the money and if we can't pay up they take us to court. man that sucks!

I chose other because I can't just let one issue sway my vote either way. I will decline to give my political issues in this thread all's I will say is that I am a Christian and I will let my religous beliefs guide my voting.

261931[/snapback]

Abe Lincoln said something about this very thing and I think he hit it right on the head. He was talking about the U.S. claimed that God was on its side and the Confederacy claimed that God was on its side and God couldn't be on both sides, so one side must be wrong.

Democrats are typically concerned with taking care of the poor, helping out folks who need it by throwing more money at the problem. They are always talking about and concerned with all sorts of people who are out of work, sick with disease, homeless, etc. etc. BUT they are pro-choice when it comes to abortion, liberal in their views on same-sex marriage, and a whole myriad of other things that offend Christians in general.

Now Republicans typically don't give a rat's butt about the poor, they want to maintain the status quo for all their rich supporters, they believe in offensive rather than defensive positions in global situations, they think locally and act globally. BUT they are against abortion and same-sex marriage and gay rights and legalized prostitution and are constantly carrying on about family values.

Republicans also seem to be the biggest supporters of the nation of Israel which according to my church is the main thing. I guess that matters to me, but I think those Israelis can take care of themselves ... I wouldn't want to get in a fight with 'em.

Now, I'm not sure which side Jesus would be on here or if he would take a side at all. "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's." I don't find him to be much concerned with politics in his own time period, just concerned with getting his message to as many individuals as would hear it.

Bottom line: I think God is more concerned with individual spirituality than He is with elections, governments, and the United Nations. A hundred years from now the political climate will be completely different, but God's message will remain the same. "Do unto other as you would have them do unto you."

Probly already talked about this but I have a bad memory.

Taxes influenced me i thinks. They keep raising it. They get the money and if we can't pay up they take us to court. man that sucks!

263450[/snapback]

Bush has cut your taxes. "Kerry Has Voted At Least 350 Times For Higher Taxes."

Kerry Has Voted At Least 350 Times For Higher Taxes.

Kerry Voted For Biggest Tax Increase In American History Under President Clinton.

Kerry Voted Against President Bush’s Historic 2001 And 2003 Tax Cuts.

Kerry Has Voted Against Balanced Budget Amendment At Least Five Times.

Kerry Has Voted Against Major Tax Relief At Least 29 Times.