Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Hindsight is 20/20 but...

I just watched Scorpian again (Great season finale, voyager's best) and I keep on thinking about Janeway's decision to join the borg. The Borg has been known as cold-blooded murderers for several years, yet there is nothing known about 8-4-7-2. Yeah, they did attack the ship (GI Joe style it seemd) and harry but that seemed like it was in self-defense. Also, you can't judge a whole race based on someone's intuition. (Someone who has not mastered her telepathic ability yet) I wonder why Janeway didn't either listen to chakotay, or try to make communication with 8472. I know hindsight is 20/20, but do you think just based on scorpian alone that Janeway made a deal with the wrong devil?

Well they knew about the unbelievable power that species 8472 had, and Kes telepathically linked with them. She knew what they were planning to do. She said that the "galaxy would be purged". This is not the kind of species you can really afford to be trifle with. Not to mention that the...um...art work that 8472 made with the Borg coarpses, did not appear to be in self defense.

Over all, I think it was a wise move when your facing the threat of galactic annialation.

:borgqueen: I waited to see what others has to say regarding this question, but there haven't been a lot of responses here. So I'm going to go ahead and voice my views.......... This episode had an exciting story line. I think that was the purpose of the episode...to have an exciting conclusion for the season. Captain Janeway has always been my favorite Captain. But I have questioned why the writers had her to make certain decisions, based on how they portrayed other species and characters. Regardless of what the Borg are up against, it is factual knowledge that the Borg could never be trusted.......that their ultimate goal was to assimilate every species they came in contact with. So, in no way could there ever be a true alliance with the Borg.

The writers for Voyager, never allowed Janeway to respect Chakotay's insights....and this to me was a mistake.........as it became obvious that there was never a true partnership between Janeway and Chakotay, as it should be between a captain and the second in command. It was as though Janeway never trusted or had real confidence in Chakotay's decisions.

But regarding this particular episode...the story line was exciting. Still under the circumstances of what we all know about the Borg, it was predictable that the Borg were simply using this crew, and in the long run would attempt to assimilate them.....which in the long run also made Captain Janeway come accross looking rather incompetent. :b-day: :borgqueen: :b-day:

I think that it was a choice of necessity really. She had to do it for several reasons. She needed to get her crew through the Borg space something which would have been impossible without the alliance. She had been informed that species 8472 threathened to purge the galaxy, something that could hardly be ignored, especially since the only other people they had encountered other than the Borg were Star Fleet. She also had Ensign Kims attack and Kes' telepathic communications to consider as well. Did she really have another choice?