Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Startrek.com snubs DS9

Transportor mishaps

I was reading this article about Transporter mishaps and unsurprisingly, DS9 wasn't mentioned. What about Our Man Bashir, when our heros get's beamed into the roles of the holosuite characters for Bashir's spy program. I think that qualifies as a transporter mishap. :unsure:

I actually sent ST.COM an email earlier asking them about that very thing. They haven't responded yet but they really haven't had a lot of time to respond yet.

They also skipped 'Relics'...Wasn't that some odd transporter thing with Mr. Scotty?...I really can't remember that well...

But, yea, "Our Man Bashir" was a really big one that they skipped...how dare they.

Relics wasn't a transporter mishap, that was Scotty rigging the transporter to keep their patterns in storage until they could be rescued so I wouldn't expect that one to be included.

Relics wasn't a transporter mishap, that was Scotty rigging the transporter to keep their patterns in storage until  they could be rescued so I wouldn't expect that one to be included.

256542[/snapback]

Ah, ok, I see...Thank you! :unsure:

You know, perhaps if Paramount had actually supported DS9 while it was on the air, more people might actually have seen it and liked it. As it was, it had no network to call home (example: it was on at odd hours on a CBS affiliate in Lexington, Ky, a FOX affiliate out of Dayton, Ohio, it was on yet another network in the Cincinnati area). It was the best-written of all the Trek shows IMO and deserved better from Paramount than what it got.

Why did Paramount need its own dumb network anyway? UPN should never have come into existence. Paramount should have stuck with FOX and not wasted money on starting a new network. Some cable systems still don't even carry UPN ... geez.

And, yes, I completely agree with you. Startrek.com almost completely ignores DS9. That's why I don't ever go there anymore. Startrekfans.net is a much better atmosphere, anyway, and people over here seem to really like each other.

If Paramount got stuck with Fox, then I'll be looking forward to Starfleet Marines Vs. Aliens, Klingon Vs Predator, and more movies like that.

If Paramount got stuck with Fox, then I'll be looking forward to Starfleet Marines Vs. Aliens, Klingon Vs Predator, and more movies like that.

257698[/snapback]

I'm merely saying that FOX is an VIABLE network and UPN is just an also-ran. Many cable systems simply don't carry the UPN network at all ... is that really the channel we want to count on to continuing airing Star Trek: Enterprise? UPN preempts Enterprise just like it once preempted Voyager every time there is some stupid local college basketball game. When you live in Cincy, that's basically every week during the season what with U.C. and Xavier right here in our backyards. :innocent:

FOX still airs the Simpsons, arguably the smartest, funniest and most successful program in the history of television. (Bart-haters will never give the show a chance, but it is the voice of my generation and I find it comparable in its satire to Jonathan Swift).

I'd give FOX a chance to do right by Star Trek ... at this point, Trek and the Simpsons would be the only two shining lights in FOX programming. But all the networks have gone straight to Hades with the foolish "reality" shows ... they are all just MTV "Real World" rip-offs anyway.

Edited by gul_nodrog

Paramount made a mistake setting up it's network when working with Fox would have been preferable. Paramount and Fox worked together previously to fund Titanic and it ended up being a colossal success.

startrek.com ignores DS9 because Rick Berman resents the show. Critically it has been more acclaimed in the years since it ended and many Trek fans (myself included) now regard the show as the best incarnation of Trek. Many have noted that the show really took off and improved when Berman shifted his attention to Star Trek: Voyager, and the best years of DS9's run were when the show was under the guidance of Ira Behr with as little Berman influence as possible.

:innocent:

Paramount made a mistake setting up it's network when working with Fox would have been preferable. Paramount and Fox worked together previously to fund Titanic and it ended up being a colossal success.

startrek.com ignores DS9 because Rick Berman resents the show. Critically it has been more acclaimed in the years since it ended and many Trek fans (myself included) now regard the show as the best incarnation of Trek. Many have noted that the show really took off and improved when Berman shifted his attention to Star Trek: Voyager, and the best years of DS9's run were when the show was under the guidance of Ira Behr with as little Berman influence as possible.

:laugh:

257820[/snapback]

Well, said!

You really are The King. :innocent:

:unsure:

257820[/snapback]

Well, said!

You really are The King. :notworthy:

257838[/snapback]

"Truer words have never been spoken...":laugh:

Ira Steven Behr is a genius...

Didn't Michael Pillar help, too? Or was he busy with Voyager as well?

"Truer words have never been spoken..."

:lol:

Ira Steven Behr is a genius...

He certainly is. :bow:

Didn't Michael Pillar help, too? Or was he busy with Voyager as well?

I think he was involved with both shows. He was a really talented guy too. Ronald Moore also, but he had enough of Berman's interference and left Trek.

Damn shame IMO.

Edited by The King

Damn shame IMO.

259069[/snapback]

Hope you don't get in trouble for that, your majesty. They got on me for cussin' and all I did was call MYSELF a witch with a "b". You may get a finger wagged at you by one of the mods if you're not careful :lol:

I think DS9 was a huge success in spite of Rick Berman ... Ira Behr must just have nerves of steel to have pushed his agenda for DS9 in the face of all that. Michael Pillar seems so intelligent and so nice in his interviews and that Ronald Moore seems really cool, too.

There was some little guy, young dude, I can't remember his name, who was involved in the show through Season 5. What was his name, does anyone remember? I've got it on the DVDs but I've loaned them out and can't look it up.

Damn shame IMO.

259069[/snapback]

Hope you don't get in trouble for that, your majesty. They got on me for cussin' and all I did was call MYSELF a witch with a "b". You may get a finger wagged at you by one of the mods if you're not careful :bow:

259188[/snapback]

Wait, you can get into trouble for cussing and saying a word like Dam? (Spelt the other way of course) What kind of board is this. :lol:

A family board which doesn't allow words like witch spelled with a b posted.  :lol:

259247[/snapback]

Personally I think "dam" is a much worse word that the one I used :bow: . Also, here's a piece of ridiculous for you ... I was writing about V.P. Cheney on the off-topic board and this crazy board wouldn't let me call him D--- Cheney. Every time I tried to use the man's name, I kept getting this stupid childish message in parentheses (Please help me to stop cursing). :bow: Puleeeze.

Guess what, people ... those kids hear cusswords everday from other children. My husband has taught in four different school systems, one parochial, one Christian, and two public schools. The kids cuss like sailors beginning in the fifth grade and they are not simply using words beginning with D, H or B. It's straight to the man's word for these little ones, with a smattering of quite descriptive terms for certain parts of their anatomy and what they might do with those parts. :blush 2:

If their parents are letting them on the internet, they're not that interested in keeping them safe. My child doesn't even know the internet exists and I plan to keep it that way for a long time.

I think DS9 was a huge success in spite of Rick Berman ... Ira Behr must just have nerves of steel to have pushed his agenda for DS9 in the face of all that. Michael Pillar seems so intelligent and so nice in his interviews and that Ronald Moore seems really cool, too.

Ira Behr will always have my respect, along with Ron Moore and Michael Piller. Hopefully, by the time Series Six comes around, Berman and Braga will be gone and those three guys with some new fresh talent will get Trek back to where it belongs.

:lol:

Ira Behr will always have my respect, along with Ron Moore and Michael Piller. Hopefully, by the time Series Six comes around, Berman and Braga will be gone and those three guys with some new fresh talent will get Trek back to where it belongs.

^_^

259501[/snapback]

Or get new guys who we havn't heard of to bring in new ideas. I do agree with Moore, Behr and Piller. I loved what they did for trek with TNG and DS9, and to a lesser extent, Voyager. I do admit though, I do like braga when he was working with Moore for TNG. Also, there are some Jeri Taylor episodes I love as well.