Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Essential Trek Reference Books

Which reference book would you recommend?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which reference book would you recommend?

• The Star Trek Encyclopedia by Michael Okuda & Denise Okuda
    • Favourite Series' Companion Book
    • Favourite Series' Technical Manual
    • Star Trek Star Charts by Geoffrey Mandel
    • Star Trek Chronology by Michael Okuda & Denise Okuda
    • The Klingon Dictionary by Marc Okrand
    • Get them all! They're great!
    • Wouldn't recommend any of them.
    • Other (name)

Which book would you recommend to someone as being the best Trek reference book?

I have The Star Trek Encyclopedia, Star Charts, TNG Companion and TNG Technical Manual. I would definitely recommend them all! If I had to choose one as a first buy I would probably recommend the Encyclopedia.

I voted for getting them all,but I do also highly recommend the Star Trek Encyclopedia,anything and everything thats been in Star Trek is in there.

Guest Ktrek

If I only had money for one it would be the Encyclopedia. I think Okuda did an excellent job and I refer to it often even when I'm reading Star Trek fiction. Since my memory is not what it used to be this is a great help! However, I also really enjoy the companions for each series, especially the DS9 one. It was so well done! Technical manuals have never thrilled me and I'm not so big on learning Klingon so those I pass on. Hope this helps!

Ktrek

I have a complaint about the DS9 Companion, Whereas the Captains logs has an extensive index covering episode titles, actors real and character names, the DS9 comp. has only an episode title glossary minor, but true. I plan on getting the VOY Comp and the Encyclopedia someday I voted favorite series Comp.

Star Trek Chronology by Michael Okuda & Denise Okuda. It's the only one I have. I need to go get the rest.

I can't recomend as I haven't read any of them...but I will...anyways, this poll gives me a good idea for which ones to read first.

oh yeah, and I voted "They're all great!" because I know they will be, and I'm getting them all, anyways!

Well I curently have the TNG companion and the Klingon Dicionary but I would like to get as many TNG books as possible..

While I think that every one should as many ref. books as you can afford, personaly The Star Trek Encyclopedia has been the one thing I use the most and is the only one since I joined these boards that I keep next to my computer ready to answer any questions I can, and the CDRom is cool to. So I voted for that one.

Also I recommand any of the Nitpickers Guide to...books by Phil Farrand

I voted for 'Get them all!'

The Encylopedia is awesome, and from what I've seen the others are just as good. And personally, I'm getting the Voy. Companion first chance I get ;)

I voted get them all.. Althought there is one missing from the list.  "Worlds of the Federation"

That is a good one too, though sadly in need of an updating.

The only reference book I have is the original TOS Starfleet Technical Manual published in the 70's.

I'm going to have to go out and buy the others--I've heard so much about them.

I had to vote other.

I voted for the encyclopedia even though I only have the frist ed I would love to get the second and I would have to agree if you like to read about mistakes and things that are hard to explain the nitpickers guides are quite fun.

The Star Trek Encyclopedia is great.But it so desperately needs to be updated!

Its also a little pricey...well,at least the hardcover is (which is the most recent copy I have....I also have the original run of this book in pb)...cost me over $50 bucks.

I would pay even more than that for a new updated version that included Nemesis and the first 2 seasons of Enterprise....

unfortunately,there are no plans to update this great Trek resource anytime soon

Boo!!! :tear: