Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Voyager Episode Spotlight

voy82501.jpg

Chakotay is stranded on a planet inhabited by natives with ties to his ancestors.

Click for Spoiler:

While Kes chides the Doctor for his lack of compassion towards the discomforts experienced by pregnant Ensign Wildman, Chakotay is surprised to discover symbols on an alien moon that are strikingly similar to ones he observed as a teen in the Central American rainforest. At that time, he'd been accompanying his father, Kolopak, on a journey to find the truth about their ancient ancestors. Intrigued, Chakotay is permitted to lead an Away Team to the site. It might provide some answers — or, failing that, some of the minerals that the ship badly needs for repairs.

The Away Team beams down to what appears to be the uninhabited planet. As they prepare to land their shuttlecraft, Chakotay remembers back to the age of 15 when he disappointed his father by not embracing the traditions of his tribe. The memories are strong as the team explores the planet's terrain. But before he can absorb any comparative implications, Neelix is injured by a native hawk, and later Tuvok finds what appears to be an abandoned village.

Thinking the Away Team may have frightened off the natives, Chakotay advises Tuvok and Torres to lay down their weapons in a gesture of trust. Instead, the gesture seems to inspire a violent storm. Tuvok and Torres beam back up, but Chakotay is left behind, knocked unconscious by a falling tree.

Later, Janeway is frustrated by several unsuccessful attempts to find Chakotay — it's almost as if something on the planet is trying to prevent them from beaming down. As they try to enter the planet's atmosphere, they're engulfed in a cyclone which Tuvok suspects is generated by residents to ward off intruders.

When Chakotay recovers, he finds the inhabitants of this strange world, and is surprised to learn that they speak the language of his ancestors. They recognize the symbol tattooed on Chakotay's forehead, which he wears to honor his father, who wore it to honor his ancestors. The inhabitants say they knew those ancestors — "the Inheritors" — when they visited Earth some 45,000 years earlier.

Chakotay realizes that these are the "Sky Spirits" which his people's lore is based upon. The aliens visited Earth again much later, and discovered that nearly all traces of the Inheritors had vanished, presumably destroyed by other humans. The aliens tell Chakotay that they attacked Voyager and its crew with storms because they feared they were enemies who would try to destroy them just as the human ancestors did to the Inheritors. Chakotay assures them that humans have come a long way since those ancient days and mean them no harm. The storms vanish and the ship is saved just in time. After the aliens give Chakotay some of the minerals that Voyager needs, they bid him farewell, leaving Chakotay with the feeling that he's recovered his connection to his people — and his father.

Synopsis from startrek.com

:laugh: LOVE IT! Thank you. He's my favorite. It's just ashame that I can't find out what he has been up to. His website is shut down, because of nasty words and rumors. Wish I could find out what conventions he'll be at.

:laugh: LOVE IT! Thank you. He's my favorite. It's just ashame that I can't find out what he has been up to. His website is shut down, because of nasty words and rumors. Wish I could find out what conventions he'll be at.

Here's a link to the convention page at Startrek.com I see he is going to be a guest at least two of Creation's conventions - one in Vegas and one in Brooklyn. I didn't check the guest lists for the other conventions listed at the Creation site or the other convention links there.

Startrek.com Conventions

Here's a link to the convention page at Startrek.com I see he is going to be a guest at least two of Creation's conventions - one in Vegas and one in Brooklyn. I didn't check the guest lists for the other conventions listed at the Creation site or the other convention links there.

Startrek.com Conventions

You know speaking of conventions, the only one worth attending in North Carolina is not returning this year. I sure am going to miss it. I wish there were others close by. :bow:

Chakotay was a character that I cam competely relate to, being Native American myself I tend to have :laugh: conflictions :bow: regarding my ansestrial culuture. Most of my family records have been destroyed, maybe all and there is no clear indication to whom I can relate to as a past lineage. Almost nearly everything in refernce to me and my family has been 'assimilated.' I even decided to have 'Ahane Falzon' as my new name when I grow up, to honor the lineage past who developed the person whom I am today. I, of course, do know that my experiences and life chocies makes up my characteristics today, but I do strongly believe that knowing my past will help me develop a better future. Knowing my past will allow me to understand directly the composites of my genetic struture down to the roots. Making me understand the question like, Why my hair is long and black, Why I have a deep love for nature (and horses :wow:). The episode that Takara_Soong made reference to also was one of my top five episodes that delievered a deep passion in wanting to trace my roots, hopefully, they will have new technology in this world that will be able to trace my roots through just a blood sample. Edited by Ahane Falzon

:laugh: Thanks Takara. I checked out the convention site. Gold passes are all sold out so I guess this year will be out for me. Oh Well! Not getting any younger and doubt I'll ever get to meet this man in person. :bow: