Sign in to follow this  
RikerChick

What does your name mean?

As long as we're posting our names let's see what they mean. If you don't have a baby name book here's a site you can use. Name Meanings

They never have Mandy so I went with Amanda even though it's not my name. Why don't these books ever have just Mandy? :) Anyway...

Mandy means worthy of love and Christine (my middle name) means christian. I like those. :)

There is something wrong with that site RC..It says my first name means Godly.. :) My last name isn't in there..

Daniel my first name means...A JUDGE

James my second name means...SUPPLANTER

Kelly (my first name) is Irish Gaelic for 'warrior'. Tiffany (my middle name) is derived from the Greek name Theophania, which means 'appearance of God'. (Yes, I've researched this subject more than that site offers. :) )

Well, this is what my names mean...

Benjamin: A Surety

Louis: Fighter :)

W.: No meaning found :)

lastresort.jpg42.gif

someone call the Irony police!!!

My first name Angela means..........ANGELIC!!!

My middle is JAne and it means Gracious gift.

I have the meaning of my name in my SN oh how Ironic. I never even realised that!

The origin and hence meaning of my first name is unclear - you'll get different meanings from different sites.

But my middle name means grace - so when I trip and tell people grace is my middle name I'm not entirely off (although I think it means the religious type of grace)

:) Actually Zachariah comes from "God remembers" oh well...

Zachary comes from Zachariah.... so I don't know where they got that...

Oh well...

I don't see how Phillip means horse lover....

Oh well...

My first name means - Noble

My middle name means - Gracious

My last name wasn't listed, which is just as well, because it would probably be just as inaccurate. :) :)

RC, thanks for starting this thread. I've always found it interesting to learn what people's names mean. Unfortanely, mine is completely incorrect. Gave me a good laugh, though.

Your link didn't have Kevin so I found another site that does:

http://www.behindthename.com/

KEVIN  m

Usage: English, Irish

Pronounced: KEV-in

Anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhín, derived from the older Irish Coemgen, composed of the Old Irish elements coem "kind, gentle, handsome" and gein "birth". Saint Caoimhin established a monastery in Ireland and is the patron saint of Dublin.

I had to use the link you^^^ did as well...Not even my last name was on that first link.

GINGER f

Usage: English

Pronounced: JIN-jur

Either a pet form of VIRGINIA, or else "ginger" from the English word for the spice or the reddish-brown colour.

Edited by Eris_IV

Cool link Kevin, thanks :)

MANDY f

Pronounced: MAN-dee

Short form of AMANDA

My name isn't short for Amanda or anything else, it's just Mandy

CHRISTINE f

Usage: French, English

Pronounced: krees-TEEN (French), kris-TEEN (English)

French and English form of CHRISTINA

LISA f

Pronounced: LEE-sa

Short form of ELIZABETH. The name Lisa appears in the name of one of the most famous paintings in the world, the Mona Lisa, the portrait of the wife of Francesco del Giocondo by Leonardo da Vinci.

Lisa means:-consecrated to God

My name is not short for Elizabeth it's just Lisa. I do like how the site tells you how to pronounce the names, lots of people call me Lee-za, Liza and all manner of strange things. :)

My middle name Jane means:- Gracious gift

Edited by Delta

My name isn't short for Amanda or anything else, it's just Mandy

Yes, dear, but because it originated as a nickname for Amanda, to find the meaning you have to go back to the root name. :) (*whispers an aside to other members* She gets so cranky when people call her Amanda . . . :) )

(*whispers an aside to other members* She gets so cranky when people call her Amanda . . .  :) )

254928[/snapback]

:rofl: *thwack* :)

Click For Spoiler

(*whispers an aside to other members* She gets so cranky when people call her Amanda . . .  :) )

254928[/snapback]

:o *thwack* :)

Click For Spoiler

254931[/snapback]

Click For Spoiler

Well, this is what I got for my first and last names... :)

BEN  m

Pronounced: BEN

This name can either be a short form of BENJAMIN or BENEDICT or else it can mean "son" in Hebrew. A notable bearer was Ben Jonson, a 17th-century English poet and playwright.

LOUIS  m

Usage: French, English

Pronounced: loo-EE (French), LOO-is (English)

French form of LUDWIG. This was the name of 18 kings of France, including Louis IX (Saint Louis) who led two crusades, and Louis XIV (the 'Sun King') who was the ruler of France during the height of its power, the builder of the Palace of Versailles, and the longest reigning monarch in the history of Europe. Also, Louis Riel was a Canadian rebel leader. Robert Louis Stevenson was the author of 'Treasure Island' and 'Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde'.

lastresort.jpg42.gif

The directory doesn't have my name in it [Gayathiri] but I guess that's because my mum said that my name is Hindu or Sri Lankan. o.O I never really realised.

My first name:

DAWN f

Pronounced: DAWN

Means simply "dawn" from the English word.

My middle name:

MARIE f

Usage: French

Pronounced: ma-REE

French form of Maria (see MARY). A notable bearer of this name was Marie Antoinette, the queen of France who was executed by guillotine during the French Revolution. Another was Marie Curie, a physicist and chemist who studied radioactivity with her husband Pierre.

The directory doesn't have my name in it [Gayathiri] but I guess that's because my mum said that my name is Hindu or Sri Lankan. o.O I never really realised.

254947[/snapback]

ragingtarg, I looked up some exotic baby name sites to see if I could find your name. The variation I've found to be more common is Gayatri, which means "mother of the Vedas, also a goddess". I also found Gaayatree, which means "a sacred verse, a goddess". I would guess that Gayathiri is derived from Gayatri (I like Gayathiri better :) ). Here are the sites I looked at, if you wanted to look yourself: IndianParenting.com, babynamesworld.com, IndianChild.com, and kairalee.com. :)

254947[/snapback]

ragingtarg, I looked up some exotic baby name sites to see if I could find your name. The variation I've found to be more common is Gayatri, which means "mother of the Vedas, also a goddess". I also found Gaayatree, which means "a sacred verse, a goddess". I would guess that Gayathiri is derived from Gayatri (I like Gayathiri better :) ). Here are the sites I looked at, if you wanted to look yourself: IndianParenting.com, babynamesworld.com, IndianChild.com, and kairalee.com. :)

254956[/snapback]

Thanks Gabri =D I asked my mum after posting in this thread, and she said just about the same thing, something about mantras and vedas =P

My mother used to tell me about out family history. Some of it about decending from Royalty in the 400's. She actually had a book about our family but it was in a languge we didn't know. I know there is a town in Lithuania called 'Lida' and a castle there. Also 'Lida' has it's roots in Hebrew. Although I am not Jewish, nor were any of my family. She also used to tell me 'Lida" mean 'Pretty'. I'll have to do some research.

Troy derives from the ancient Greek city of Troy; also from an Irish surname meaning 'soldier.'.

well i guess in a way im part irish and greek if you think about it :biggrin: