Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Let Space Travel to you

I guess it had to happen to somebody:

chicagofall_navarro.jpg

description

Explanation: If you wait long enough, a piece of outer space itself will come right to you. As Colby Navarro worked innocently on the computer, a rock from space crashed through the roof, struck the printer, banged off the wall, and came to rest near the filing cabinet. This occurred around midnight on March 26 in Park Forest, Illinois, USA, near Chicago. The meteorite, measuring about 10 cm across, was one of several that fell near Chicago that day as part of a tremendous fireball. Pictured above is the resulting hole in the ceiling, while the inset image shows the wall dent and the meteorite itself. Although the vast majority of meteors is much smaller and burn up in the Earth's atmosphere, the average homeowner should expect to repair direct meteor damage every hundred million years

Astronomy Picture of the Day

:o Some people have all the luck! I have wanted that to happen to me for years! :laugh: Glad Colby was ok, I wonder if it will be kept or sold. I would keep it!

:o Interesting side note-look how the hole in the ceiling looks like a head-on view of an ENT or a TOS Romulan Bird of Prey! :o

Very creative and observant of you, Alterego! It DOES look like a Bird of Prey! Yeah, I have to admit I kinda wanted to wake up one morning to find that a meteorite had crashed down into my front yard, I would keep it if I could! I know that people would pay a mint for a meteorite, but I would not be able to let go of something like that, I mean I have been into astronomy for around 20-21 years now....

Cool! :D Too bad that doesn't happen to everybody!

(and...yeah, that does look like a bird of prey!)