Sign in to follow this  
removed

School

What were you like in school?

Popular? Unpopular? Cool? Nerdy?

Since this is a Star Trek site and Star Trek fans are stereotyped as nerds, I'd like to know what everyone was like in school. I think it could be an interesting topic.

I was a very unpopular nerd in school, because I liked both science AND Star Trek, both considered "guy things". Think I cared? NOT! I got better grades than most of the kids that didn't like me, and I had a better reputation when I graduated.

*bragging mode off* :clap:

I was "lucky" not to be a Star Trek fan while I was in school. Anyways, I wasn't exactly what you would call a "nice" pupil. In fact, I was a bully. :clap:

My grades were acceptable, bad as could be in maths, best grades in English, so, oh, well... :hug::bow:

I didn't like people who didn't share my opinions and I showed that to them. :) I could have been one of those people who called others a "nerd". :)

I was very unpopular but the truth was i didnt care i had my mates we had a laugh that was that. Not many people at school knew i liked star trek if they did i would proberly of become a nerd.

I was unpopular and a nerd. sad-smiley-067.gif I couldn't wait until was finished school. At least I had better grades than most in my class. cool-smiley-020.gif

Edited by Odie

I thought I was a nerd, until I started dating my girlfriend, who is now my wife of 11 years and is several years younger than me. She said that when people found out she was dating me they did not mess with her because I had the reputation of a psycho! I was pretty quiet, went to the library allot. Went to my car and drank allot. Watched and read Star Trek allot. Got in a couple of fights ( all of which I won) So it just goes to show you that you may not be seen for what you think you are.

I guess I'm kinda popular in school. People take me for what I am. They think I'm funny and entertaining, and we have things in common which we can talk about (especially football). They know I like Star Trek, and some people just think it sucks and is boring, even though they have never seen an episode of it in their lives. They sometimes criticise me for it, but I'm not bothered. I am what I am, so they can take me or leave me.

I'm unpopular, but it doesn't bug me because I've got three really close friends and I'd rather have that then lots of friends I don't know very well. My unpopularity has more to do with I'm shy then the fact that I'm a trekkie.

In high school, I was only called a nerd a few times, and usually by the "pot-heads." Mostly, I was very quiet and reserved, but - oddly enough - very popular. My classmates viewed me as sort of a "class counselor" type - someone they could talk to about pretty much anything, and get a few words of appropriate wisdom. It was VERY odd to have cheerleaders call me up at night becuase they wanted to talk to someone when they broke up with their boyfriends. (I had to really resist the urge to say, "Hey! If you need a new boyfriend, I'm available.") I vividly remember an English class assignment in which we had to write a description of any person. Ninety percent of the class wrote about me.... very moving.

In college, I ditched the grandfather figure, and became a prankster. Living on a floor full of guys all at the peak or tail end of puberty will do that. In graduate school, I was viewed as a jock, but also sort of the "head-of-the-class," and I helped a lot of people with homework.

Hmmmmm, haven't really been called "nerd" or "geek" much.... Mostly been called a loner though, although I don't mind being around different people, and I guess I like it, I mostly dwell within a cubicle at the back of the library reading or sleeping next to the Science-fiction/Fantasy section...

For some odd reason, when I used to read under the tree at lunch, girls would talk to me since I looked sad and lonely... Among other people.

Other kids thought I was reading there to attract their attention... :bow:

Right.... I have to find a place to read, away from the noise of school... Thought it was a nice quaint place to read at the time...

Some of my popularity from my being in middle school, probably from my nerdom and fandom for thy science-fiction, fantasy and that fantastic element in different forms of entertainment... And my likeness for the past, and future...

I did quite good at middle school, but when I entered High School... I wasn't so good... Prefer my English over Math...

Alot of people think I'm cool due to my "niceness"... I got an award for my so-called "niceness" at middle school... Too bad it wasn't money. :clap:

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Well when i was in High School i'd never think of myself of being Geeky cause one of my classmates made a Picture on the Chalkboard of the Original Enterprise and i think even another person in my class also drew a picture of the Enterprise for me as well ("and since i was a pretty good speller in High School most of the time they came to me to ask how to spell words")but died down alot after i hit College and post Ed School inbetween my stages and before the place where i work now for many years.

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

Let's see - I was a straight A student and in the marching band. That's kind of nerdy but I don' think anyone ever actually called me a "nerd" though.

But I think I was probably known more for my habit of "speaking out of the box". My favorite compliment was when someone wrote in my yearbook wrote "...you have an unusual mind, I mean that as a compliment". So many kids are afraid to be different but I loved it - still do.

I don't remember being a trekkie too much - Star Trek hadn't been off the air that long and we still went home from band practice and watched re-runs. :hammer:

From 4th to 12th grade I was in small classes, but I think I was rather popular. In middle school, everyone admired my grades and such, so I was voted Most Studious. They never made fun of that, but genuinely respected it. The guy who was the most popular in my class at the time told everyone he wanted to be more like me :hammer: .

My high school education was a bit different than most members here, but I was the most popular in that group and was the "leader," so to speak.

I'll admit that I can be somewhat shy at first, but that justs lasts for a little while. I've never been the life of the party by any means, but I'd say I was a popular, laid-back guy. :laugh:

I was very very popular at my Boy Scout Troop...

Although I doubt that counts... :hammer:

It was weird at summer camp when our troop leader asked:

"What was the best thing at camp?"

And then they started chanting out my name... But not at the first instance...

Bit weird they take notice of me at that one time, since I've been to that troop for a year... And I don't think I'm a thing either. :laugh:

*Isn't making this up*

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Edited by drwho42

Me... I can honestly say that I'm pretty popular. I'm always called funny and nice and I'm a pretty sweet dresser so I look good too. Lol. I've got plenty of friends and a lot of really close ones. And I've got a fantastic girlfriend. I get really good marks and stuff but I'm still considered cool which is sweet. And I'm also different from the rest because I voice my opinion even if others disagree. And I'm not afraid to be me. Honestly, I love high school.

I was a Jock and what was jokingly called a "Rotsy Nazi", because I was in NJROTC (the nickname reportedly came from the fact that Navy Winter Blues, which we wore, looked somewhat like Waffen SS uniforms.) I hung out with everyone, cus the JROTC unit had all sorts of kids in it.

Ii was very unpopular, not because I was a nerd. It was because I was very quiet, and most did not know how to take me. my quietness came from being rather insecure back then. It took me a while to come into my own..........I really needed to get away from home, and from a very intimidating Mom, in order to do this.

I am not very liked in school. I try to keep it a secret from most of the kids in my classes that I like Star Trek. Only my true friends know that I like Star Trek. The only reason I am unliked and picked on is because of my teeth and glasses and the boys I have a crush on. In fact once I came home crying because my new neighbor started freaking out on me on the bus and I didn't do anything. We were even becoming friends.

Edited by T'pol_1

I don't know. I guess I am well liked....people don't mess with me, but then again I just started my new school last year so I'm not very well know. But I do have close friends, two of them know I like Startrek thanks to my mom's slide show for my b-day :laugh:. I guess if someone had to lable me it would be goth-punk rocker person with thier own stlye :dude: umm.... :bow:

Well, I wasn't "unpopular", but I wasn't "popular" either. I had a few good friends, and I did some pretty embarrassing things. I'll tell you this: we had our 20 year high school reunion last year and there is no way on God's green earth you could have dragged me to it. Those people belong to another life and time and I have no interest in going back there for any reason.

Edited by mj

In High School I was the guy who always did their homework, got high marks, and got along well with the teachers.

I was also voted "Best Sense of Humor" when I graduated and got along well with everybody that I knew. I'd say I was popular but I never really hung out with anyone outside of school. I'd say my interest of Star Trek was not general knowledge.

Year 1 of college -- Did all the work I was supposed to and had as little contact with any students and organixations as possible. It's not that I hate it or the people I just want to finish up and get out of there.

Well,I am a greatest nerd in my class and when i don't get an A everybody gets suprised.My best friend goes to another school so i guess you could describe me as a shy lonley nerd type.But i don't care beacuse everybody asks for help from me at everything and i fix computers so i'm quite popular with that. :dude:

Nerd, quiet, asian sterotypes, trekkie sterotypes, geek, musician...

Taking both available Honors classes at the freshman level doesn't help with the Nerd, asian and geek stereotypes. Me studying about 4 hours a day fits with the stereotypes. Maybe because I asnwer the questions in science and other classes quickly and precisely, they still fit the above.

Loner.... etc. You get the picture.

Musician. If you get into four ensembles that doesn't help your point of view that you're not a musician. also add one hour of piano and one hour of violin daily each night. another stereo type. :dude:

I was actually pretty likeable in high school...I got along with practically everyone and even hung around the popular kids a lot. They all knew I liked Star Trek and even took one of my 'popular' friends to a Star Fest to meet John Travolta...Most people I knew had some kind of movie or series of sci-fi that they liked and didn't care that I happened to love Star Trek.

Now, middle school...that is a whole other story...Let's just say I was glad I didn't go to any of the high schools that the kids from my middle school went to. Kids are so mean.

I was somewhere in between I guess. My grades were average and I had plenty of friends, but at the same time I was also considered kind of "nerdy" because I liked Star Trek and computers in general. :)

Back in school I was, much like today, mostly ignored except for occasional periods of being bullied and ridiculed but the good news is as a result I grew a pretty thick skin to things of that kind. :)

Up through freshman year, I was a Loser with a capital L! Or so the sterotype was. I was shy and not really into the social games people play at that age. I didn't fit in with any group because I refused to play by the rules.

My best friend was nothing like me. She was the good kid and I was the troublemaker.

Then during sophomore year, something weird happened. I discovered a group of people who liked me whether or not I agreed with everything they liked or did. By senior year, I was the class clown of my broadcasting classes and also the highest graded student in that area. The rest of my grades were mediocre, but at least I was good at something! :shrug: