Sign in to follow this  
master_q

"Big Rip"

Don’t believe in the “Big Crunch” . . . what about the “Big Rip”?

Right now the universe is continuing to expand. It is getting larger and larger as we speak, but it is not getting larger linearly. (Or it’s expanding at an increasing rate!)

Because of this one idea has been made called the “Big Rip”. (LOL)

As the universe is expanding in an increasing rate it might actually rip it self because it is going so fast.

The question that you might be asking now is what in the first place is expanding the universe at a non-linear rate. The answer to that comes back to dark energy and dark matter, . . . So dark energy will get more and more energy until it is so overwhelmed the Big Rip might happen. Where atoms actually break apart during this process!

From the WMAP data we found out that the Big Crunch probably won’t happen, but will a Big Rip happen?

We found out that the universe is going to expand forever (or so it was said) and would proven a Big Crunch from happening, but because the universe is expanding at an increasing rate this leads to this possibility of the Big Rip.

But one thing is for sure is that we don’t know that much about things like dark matter, dark energy, . . . and this gives us a very large incomplete picture of what’s going on and the possibility of a Big Rip. We can’t say 100% that dark energy is the actual reason why the universe expands in the first place and because of that (because of that incomplete picture) we can’t say if or if not the Big Rip will or will not happen. However we can of course speculate.

What do you think?

Do you think the idea of the Big Rip is a possibility?

. . .

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I think it is a definite possibility - but I don't think it is likely. I believe they said it was called "phantom energy" when the expansion runaway accelerated. It is "dark energy" when it doesn't accelerate like that. (I think)

I surely won't be rooting for a Big Rip however. The "Big Fizzle" is better in my opinion. (Where the universe just expands and cools forever)

While I would not try to pretend for a moment I understand most of what yawl say here, having dabbled in some amateur astronomy, I feel confident enough to say I too would choose the Big Fizzle, more chance at life continuing in that scenario.

Ouch! Brain hurting! :lol: Actually I like this kinda stuff but my brain is off at the moment and the was a bit to much information for it to comprehend. :D I'm sure when I read while my brain is on I will think it is a cool theroy.

As perhaps Data, would say, we have a lack of information to form a complete analysis. Even speculation on this topic is still just the beginning of forming a working hypothesis. Will Big Rip happen? Possibly. Will humankind be around to witness it? Not likely. Something like this is still trillions of years away and by that time our star may well be past the white dwarf stageand burned out and earth nothing more than a forgotten rock of space. Yet, it is theories like these that drive the human mind and could very well drive it insane. Our thinking is still very much three dimensional and much of this requires thought processes that work outside of that. Thoughts such as this. If space is expanding and accelerating because of dark matter, to our pattern of thought, shouldn't there already be existing space for the universe to expand into? If not, what exactly is expanding? I know this is very simplified but this is kind of what it comes down to for the lay person.

'BIG RIP' sound ominous. :laugh: Exactly where would this occur?? In space or in planets?? :bow: Or in Time?? Does this have something to do with the 'String Theory'???? :bow: