Sign in to follow this  
poguemahone

[S] "Regeration" 07.05

Well since we have a week, I thought we would discuss this episode going in, I know it's been talked about before, but this is the "official" "Regeneration" thread. Thoughts, hopes, expectations.

I think it would be cool if the borg were like Cardassians, or some other species that humans havn't encountered yet.

Related links:

Trek News forum

startrek.com's episode page

I'm really looking forward to it, should be fantastic. yeah that would be cool actually if the species was one they'd never encountered, as there would be no way of finding out, it would be kinda frustrating for them but amusing for us... if u know what i mean

I am so pumped for this episode I can hardly wait!!! I think a Borg episode in the Enterprise's time is necessary because of First Contact. We know the Borg were there so let's see what the consequences will be. It is pretty safe to assume that the Vulcans and other species in the Alpha Quadrant would have no record of the Borg since they were still in the Delta Quadrant at that time so having them as an unknown species (like they did with the Ferengi) would work.

I can't wait either. The quality of the story's has been high the last couple of episodes so I'm expecting them to do some cool stuff with it. Also, it will be really cool to see the Enterprise crew react to the most dangerous adversary in Federation history. Their technology will obviously not be able to handle the Borg so it will be interesting to see what kind solutions they come with up with. Here's hopin' this is the episode that acts as Enterprises best of both worlds hehe.

They will be able to get away with quite a lot, since FC has changed the time-line so some things may be different and the consequences of that Borg Cube being blown up might well mean that Picard's first encounter with them will not happen quite the same as it did in the future... etc etc We couldn't even begin to predict what kind of effect something like what happened in FC will have on the time-line, i mean we are getting into weird territory now with time travel and anything could happen, it is something that seems almost impossible and we know nothing about and the changes might not have been mentioned in Nemesis because ENT needs to encounter the Borg first or something.... But basically what i am saying is, that FC could have changed anything and so what we think we know isn't actually what we know... Ok i am making no sense and now my head hurts! :tear:

It may or may not change anything, we'll have to see. Don't forget, Picard encounters them in what? 200+ years? Q probably isn't watching human's yet, so he will still send Picard to encounter them because he assumes they haven't had contact yet and the encounter might just be a passing note in some log by the time Picard comes around and thus they won't make the connection.

I don't think the timeline's been alterred to the extent of "anything can happen" becuase we've clearly seen that the timeline is intact in the post First Contact timeline which includes:

DS9 season 5 (2nd half)

DS9 season 6

DS9 season 7

VOY season 3 (2nd half)

VOY season 4

VOY season 5

VOY season 6

VOY season 7

Insurrection

Nemesis

That's after the movie ST:FC, and the timeline looked fine to me!

However, I am excited to see how "Regeneration" turns out!

My only hope is that these "future Borg" don't make it back to the Delta Quadrant, becuase then the Borg would become advanced by 200 years, then the movie ST:FC happens, the Borg to back in time, then these frozen Borg get thawed, fight the NX-01, make it back to the collective again, advancing it another 200 years, thus creating a timeloop, allowing the Borg to litterrally reach perfection!

I'm really looking forward to this episode! And I'm sure Archer and crew will destroy the Borg before they can make it back to the Delta Quadrent.

im looking forward to it as well, just like i do any epi of ENTERPRISE. but my concern is, 200 yrs from this point we still had a very hard time with the borg, they wiped out a lot of the fleet, and many people, we have such a problem dealing with them, how can NX-01 and her crew being 200 yrs behind, deal with such a drastic problem. now im all for seeing first contacts with aliens we already know, but i think this might, i repeat might be a little to the extreme. but thats my humble opinion. but of course i am looking forward to seeing them hopefully prove me wrong, and make an excellent episode out of it. :tear:

LIVE LONG, AND PROSPER :idea:

Perhaps in this episode, they'll have to actually out think the Borg, instead of try to defeat them with technology? I mean, heck, it looks like they try to assimilated Phlox from the preview! It's gonna be one GREAT episode!

im looking forward to it as well, just like i do any epi of ENTERPRISE. but my concern is, 200 yrs from this point we still had a very hard time with the borg, they wiped out a lot of the fleet, and many people, we have such a problem dealing with them, how can NX-01 and her crew being 200 yrs behind, deal with such a drastic problem. now im all for seeing first contacts with aliens we already know, but i think this might, i repeat might be a little to the extreme. but thats my humble opinion. but of course i am looking forward to seeing them hopefully prove me wrong, and make an excellent episode out of it. :tear:

LIVE LONG, AND PROSPER :idea:

We only dealing with about 4 Borg and they don't have 24th century technology. The synopsis says they take the scientist's vessel and adapt it. I don't know if they could adapt it enough to out gun Enterprise.

Hey,

Here is what startrek.com says

Click for Spoiler:

Synopsis:

An arctic research team on Earth discovers debris from an alien vessel, nearly a century old, buried in a glacier along with the bodies of two cybernetically enhanced humanoids. Once those beings are thawed for investigation, they come to life and abduct the scientists and their transport vessel. Enterprise is called to intercept, but Captain Archer and his crew find these cyborgs to be an intractable, insidious enemy.

Gives us alittle to go on.

Now how do you think the Borg get to Earth? A Scout ship or these the Borg from the crashed sphere from First Contact? If it's the ones from FC the ship would be older then a century old though I would guess. Any thoughts?

Likely, Regeneration will complete a paradox.

Point A: The Enterprise E travels backwards through time during ST:FC and are Borg are left behind

Point B:

Click for Spoiler:

The Borg are revived and send co-ordinates of Pulsars near Earth which cause the Borg to attempt to assimilate Earth.

Point C: The Enterprise-D encounters the Borg in J-25 which leads to the events of Star Trek: First Contact.

Likely, Regeneration will complete a paradox.

Point A: The Enterprise E travels backwards through time during ST:FC and are Borg are left behind

Point B: 

Click for Spoiler:

The Borg are revived and send co-ordinates of Pulsars near Earth which cause the Borg to attempt to assimilate Earth.

Point C: The Enterprise-D encounters the Borg in J-25 which leads to the events of Star Trek: First Contact.

There is no paradox.

Point A: The Borg encounter the Enterprise-D in 2365, thanks to Q!

Point B: Borg invasion of 2366/67.

Point C: 2373, Borg travel back in time, followed by the Enterprise-E.

Click for Spoiler:

Point D: A few Borg survive the explossion of the sphere and somehow survive the fall to Earth! :tear: After being thawed, they assimilate some scientists and their ship, then face off with the NX-01 Enterprise. I'm assuming they're destroyed.

Where's the paradox?

NOTE: With all the time travel thinking, forgot the SPOILER button! Thanks MODS!

Click for Spoiler:

Zefram Cochrane flight took place on 2063. Doesn't Enterprise take place about 100 years later? If so then that means these Borg in Regeneration are the survivors from the First Contact Borg Sphere. Now with all that said I see no problem with why this wouldn't work. I'm really looking forward to Regeneration. Lets hope Regeneration continues this string of greatly improving episodes!

the more we talk about it the more im looking forward to it. i just hope they dont come up with some unrealistic, for their time, way of defeating them. i too wonder what is the paradox. we havent seen any evidence of timeline changes in any episodes or movies since FC, or any other kind of problem, we know how the borg got there, and so on. but whatever the case i suppose we'll find out in 6 days. counting the minutes

:tear:

Click for Spoiler:

Zefram Cochrane flight took place on 2063. Doesn't Enterprise take place about 100 years later? If so then that means these Borg in Regeneration are the survivors from the First Contact Borg Sphere. Now with all that said I see no problem with why this wouldn't work. I'm really looking forward to Regeneration. Lets hope Regeneration continues this string of greatly improving episodes!

Click for Spoiler:

The synopsis says that some scientist come across the frozen bodies of the Borg and thaw them out and the Borg then "come back to life".

Click for Spoiler:

All of these First Contact theories are making me nauseous. I hope this portion of the plot is explained in "Regeneration" and they just don't leave a big gap for us to ponder on.

i have a very interesting prediction

Click for Spoiler:

what if the borg dont exist at that time frame and the four rogue borg steal a ship and go back to the delta quadrant giving rise to the borg in the first place???? that would finally put to rest the question of the origin of the borg

In response to the post above this:

Click for Spoiler:

It's my understanding that by the time of ENT the Borg already exsist (See First Contact: "By this time the Borg are still in the Delta Quadrent"< paraphrased)

Basicly I think the Borg started out from a race that started putting bionic-implants in themselvesand got out of hand, and their implants took over. Since this culture started putting them because they wanted to be perfect, that was programed into those implants, so they just kept going. The Borg have been around for hundreds if not thousands of years, and know one knows where the Borg homeworld is, but it is in the Delta Quad., so I don't think this Episode is the start of the Borg.

Click for Spoiler:

It is a paradox when you consider that according to information I read on the internet, I think it was treknation, that Phlox is partially assimilated by the Borg (he is immune) and he later tells Archer that he heard numbers being transmitted which coorrespond with pulsars near Earth. These Borg told the collective where Earth was which is why they were destroying Neutral Zone outposts (The Neutral Zone, TNG)

Click for Spoiler:

All of these First Contact theories are making me nauseous.  I hope this portion of the plot is explained in "Regeneration" and they just don't leave a big gap for us to ponder on.

Regeneration/First Contact link - here is what the production report at st.com has to say about it:

Click for Spoiler:

The Enterprise-E should've stuck around for a more thorough clean-up operation. The aftermath of "what really happened" during the events of April 2063 are explored in an episode that brought out set pieces and costumes not seen since the end of Star Trek: Voyager, and features John Billingsley's wife in one of the key guest roles.

Remember in "Star Trek: First Contact," Captain Picard's crew followed a small Borg sphere through time and blew it to bits over 21st-century Earth. Well, what happened to all that debris? That's the premise behind "Regeneration." In the story, written by Mike Sussman & Phyllis Strong, an arctic research team in 2152 discovers fragments of an alien ship buried in the glacial terrain, along with the frozen corpses of two cybernetically enhanced humanoids. Except they aren't really corpses — once they're allowed to thaw they come back to life and put their nanoprobes to work. They abduct the scientists and hijack their transport ship, modifying it for higher warp speeds. That's where the NX-01 comes in. Captain Archer's crew gives chase, and learns what an insidious threat these cybernetic beings pose.

Also deagletime,

Click for Spoiler:

in Q Who, Guinan told Picard and the others that the Borg had been around for hundreds of centuries.

i have a very interesting prediction

Click for Spoiler:

what if the borg dont exist at that time frame and the four rogue borg steal a ship and go back to the delta quadrant giving rise to the borg in the first place???? that would finally put to rest the question of the origin of the borg

That would create a paradox, leading the Borg to perfection, and to the destruction of our galaxy.

Click for Spoiler:

Let's say you're right though. Then the Borg would advance 200 years by the time the Enterprise-D encounters them. Then the movie ST:FC happens, then this ENT episode... then the Borg go to the DQ and advance another 200 years. With every timeline, the Borg grow, advance, and evolve 200 years. Say, 50,000 timeloops later, the Borg would be advanced enough to conquer the galaxy! :angry:

Click for Spoiler:

It is a paradox when you consider that according to information I read on the internet, I think it was treknation, that Phlox is partially assimilated by the Borg (he is immune) and he later tells Archer that he heard numbers being transmitted which coorrespond with pulsars near Earth. These Borg told the collective where Earth was which is why they were destroying Neutral Zone outposts (The Neutral Zone, TNG)

If this is true...

Click for Spoiler:

...why would it take the Borg 200 years to finally reach the Alpha Quadrant when they have transwarp drive, or at least warp drive which would only take them 70 years to reach Earth?

I am really looking forward to the episode.

Click for Spoiler:

Maybe the borg are suffering some damage from the "long freeze" and that is what will give NX 01 the opportunity to take them out.

Click for Spoiler:

Maybe the borg are suffering some damage from the "long freeze" and that is what will give NX 01 the opportunity to take them out.

Click for Spoiler:

Your right should be interesting to see if the Borg are in "top form" after all that frozen in ice

Click for Spoiler:

Click for Spoiler:

Your right should be interesting to see if the Borg are in "top form" after all that frozen in ice

Click for Spoiler:

Yup. They have had the ultimate REGENERATION!

I'm just curious to see how they work all this in to the timeline. Should make for really good television.