Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Do you like the first Star Trek movie ?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the first Star Trek movie ?

• Yes, I liked everything about this movie. Very enjoyable.
    • Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • It was OK..Glad they moved on to better movies..
    • No, it was terrible..
    • Other opinion

I realize that TMP is not the best movie in the bunch but it will always hold a special place in my heart for me. Being an original Trekker, having watched Trek from the first episode on, I suffered through the lean years after TOS got cancelled. TAS filled the void somewhat but it never felt like real Trek. When the announcement came about Trek being made into a movie, the excitement streaked through fandom like a lightning bolt! I had never before and never since been so excited about seeing a movie. When the day finally came, there were mobs at every theater. I felt like a little kid as I rushed into the theater. I cannot describe the emotion that washed over the audience at that first screening. When the first scene with the Klingons engaging Vger came on, I can honestly say that there were tears of joy streaming down my face.That scene is still one of my favorites out of any of the movies.

Thats what I remember every time I watch the movie and that is why I really love it.

Here's something funny:

I just figured out about a year ago that I HAD NEVER EVEN SEEN "Star Trek: The Motion Picture." Years and years of thinking that I had watched it, I mean swearing up and down that I had seen it to myself and others .... then last fall my husband and I decided to do a Star Trek movie marathon and about 15 minutes into the movie I looked over at him and said, "I've never seen this movie before."

After ruling out alzheimers, dementia, psychosis, etc., I determined that only my brother and my mother had actually watched this movie. They weren't very charged about it at the time, so I just assumed that I wouldn't be either and never went to see it at the theater. Then I just forgot about it, went to see Kahn when it came out, and went on from there!

Now that I have finally seen TMP, I voted "Yes." I didn't like everything about it, and it was a bit laboured in spots, but considering when it was made, it was a pretty good movie.

Did you watch the theater version or the Director's cut? The Director's cut version is magnificient and is almost like watching a whole new movie. They did a fantastic job with it. Its much more watchable than the theater version.

^^I watched the Director's Cut and have never actually seen the theatrical version. My husband, like you, also said it was vastly improved.

I enjoyed it a lot.

I realize that TMP is not the best movie in the bunch but it will always hold a special place in my heart for me. Being an original Trekker, having watched Trek from the first episode on, I suffered through the lean years after TOS got cancelled. TAS filled the void somewhat but it never felt like real Trek. When the announcement came about Trek being made into a movie, the excitement streaked through fandom like a lightning bolt! I had never before and never since been so excited about seeing a movie. When the day finally came, there were mobs at every theater. I felt like a little kid as I rushed into the theater. I cannot describe the emotion that washed over the audience at that first screening. When the first scene with the Klingons engaging Vger came on, I can honestly say that there were tears of joy streaming down my face.That scene is still one of my favorites out of any of the movies.

Thats what I remember every time I watch the movie and that is why I really love it.

That about covers it. There had not been a new Trek since 1969. Ten very lean years. It was great to see something new.

But Wrath of Khan was much much better.

and the background music with those deep twangs (or whatever those sounds were) was perfect.

I'm not sure, but I think that might have been a modified steel guitar mixed in with electric guitar. Of course, it may have been entirely the elctric guitar... There was a song by KoRN which ended with sounds that were very similar to the ones you mentioned.

Did you watch the theater version or the Director's cut? The Director's cut version is magnificient and is almost like watching a whole new movie. They did a fantastic job with it. Its much more watchable than the theater version.

What is the difference between the Director's and the theater's? I've watched it over a VCD and I just cannot tell which version is it?

What is the difference between the Director's and the theater's? I've watched it over a VCD and I just cannot tell which version is it?

The Director's Cut redid just about all of the FX in the movie. Scenes were reshot, backgrounds were added and so forth. One of my favorites is at the beginning when Kirk's shuttle arrives at Starfleet, in the background you see an old TOS shuttle taking off.