Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Do you like the first Star Trek movie ?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the first Star Trek movie ?

• Yes, I liked everything about this movie. Very enjoyable.
    • Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • It was OK..Glad they moved on to better movies..
    • No, it was terrible..
    • Other opinion

Just wondering what you all thought about this first Trek movie..I do know that a lot of fans have a problem with this film. Not me. I like a lot of things about this movie. Let's start with the unique transporter effect. It is very different than any other movie or series..I think it is so cool. I wish I had a screen shot. I like the story of 'V'Ger' returning to Earth to join with it's creator..And I like the uniforms..One other thing that is unique about this movie is how each of the main characters is given their own special entrance,-Kirk, McCoy, Spock, The Enterprise..So awesome.. :blink:

So, what do you all think ?

First off, I do agree with whichever critic dubbed it, "Star Trek: The Motion Sickness." :blink: It was a little FX-heavy for the time; that whole wormhole scene could almost make a person's head spin. Also, even though I love the Constitution refit, the ship's introduction scene was a little long. The pace of the film could've been sped up a little as well.

Now that the complaints are out of the way...

I thought it was a decent film. Even though the characters were a little wooden at times, the overall acting was decent. The storyline was interesting enough, and the background music with those deep twangs (or whatever those sounds were) was perfect. That opening scene with V'Ger picking off those Klingon battlecruisers one-by-one is one of my favorite scenes in Trek history.

I hated this movie about 6 or 7 years ago, but, considering it was their first effort at a feature-film, I appreciate it now.

I vote "It was ok (a good "ok"), but I'm glad they moved on to better films." Wrath of Kahn was a big improvement.

Yeah i think the first Startrek was a pretty good film,my fav bit is when enterprise enters v'ger the sfx in that part of the film are great,the story was good as well although it kinda of dropped off half way into the film,all in all a good trek film that i dont mind watching again.

I thought it was good for the first one but am extremly glad they moved on and made the other 9 even better.

It was OK..Glad they moved on to better movies..

The bad thing was the movie made the crew look old old. Not too old, but old fashioned to say the least....

I voted yes. I like the movie better than ST 9 ( :blink: :blink: :blink: ). It's really not that bad a movie. I mean, it has its slow moments, but I like it. (I understand some ST fans call it "the slow-motion picture" :laugh: )

I liked the film, but I did find it a little slow in places. However, when they released the Director's Edition, I loved that and I thought it really rounded the whole film off and made it into actually a quite good, very enjoyable science-fiction movie.

I put other opinion because it's been so long since I've seen it I barely remember anything about it. I need to rent it again.

I have grown to like it over the years, and the music by the late Jerry Goldsmith is some of the best scores in the Trek movie lore.

It really was a good movie. The only thing I really did not like about it was I felt like I was watching Nomad episode all over again, just with better effects. As far as there being a few drawn out parts. Don't you think there is allot of down time in space voyages where there is nothing to do but stair out the window at the heavens and ponder, "whats out there" The Truth thats what is out there.

It really was a good movie. The only thing I really did not like about it was I felt like I was watching Nomad episode all over again, just with better effects. As far as there being a few drawn out parts. Don't you think there is allot of down time in space voyages where there is nothing to do but stair out the window at the heavens and ponder, "whats out there" The Truth thats what is out there.

253326[/snapback]

What I have learned through the craft of writing is that although things happen one way in reality, they don't always work in a book or movie. IE boy meets girl and they fall in love and everything turns out great. That can happen in real life, but in a story it would bore the audience to tears, conflict is needed. That being said, I disagree with the lag-time of this movie reflecting reality, as you suggest. Not allowed in a movie, it slows the pace and hence the audience might just fall asleep!

Overall the story was good, inasmuch as I enjoyed Spock's life lesson in all of this. (In actuality, they changed his character up front and then brought him back to where he'd always been, lol. Or perhaps he better appreciated his human half and that emotions were not only okay, but needed as they coincided with the well-being of a Vulcan --- yes, even a Vulcan!) But the rest of the story reminded me too strongly of "The Changling" with Nomad, only not told as well. Yes, the special effects were better, they had a better budget and it was a movie, after all. But they could edit this film much better than even the Director's Cut, tightening it up a bit more. We don't need all the gratuitous shots of the Enterprise --- yes, she is a lovely, lovely ship but she is subject to the adage of too much isn't a good thing! And we spent way too much time gazing upon the alien vessel, without ever being able to make sense of what we were looking at, but that may be my personal gripe, lol.

There is enough good about this film, however, that being said. And I do take it off the shelf once in awhile to refresh myself on Spock's growth. Just wish they could have done this one better all-in-all. And I hated the uniform, spandex should be banned for life, lol!

T'Bree

When it came out I was about 10 and loved every second of it, I saw it probably 5 to 10 times. After 9 more movies and 4 more series, I'm glad they moved on to better movies. It's not in the upper ranks of the movies, but it was great when it came out.

I voted a yes. I thought for a while. If I was watching that movie when it first hit the big screen, I would have totally fallen in love with it.

You really do need to put it into the context of when it came out. Remember the only Star Trek that existed at that time was TOS and TAS so for Trekkies TMP was a dream come true.

You really do need to put it into the context of when it came out. Remember the only Star Trek that existed at that time was TOS and TAS so for Trekkies TMP was a dream come true.

256139[/snapback]

Jackpot!

My vote: Yes, I liked everything about this movie. Very enjoyable. I'm glad to now have the Directors cut though, the original version did get tiresome after a few hundred viewings.

When the movie first came out I did not like it. Since than I have grown to love it. The movie took the time to explain what was going on wasn't in a rush to go to the next special effect. The aspect that I still don't like about the movie and that is the uniforms. Pastel and spandex was the worst ideas. :ooh4:

I did like this movie, although I do think that some of the others are better. It was the first Trek thing I ever watched (well... second) so it had to be good to get me as into Trek as I am. This despite the fact that I have not been here in forever- sorry people, I was in Europe on vacation!

I remember at the time, I couldn't wait for 'new' Star Trek, after watching TOS while it aired, and rerun after rerun in syndication.

I voted yes based on how I felt at the time. The only thing that disappointed me was the behavior of some of the fans in the theater. I wish I did not remember that.

But this is the only one of the movies I have not seen on television, or rented.

I put liked everything about it although u have to recall that Star Wars came out alittle before ST:TMP did and sure the Uniforms were an update from the t.v series(didn't see it the Theatres was too young for it)but saw it on t.v and bought it also on Video and the Background Music was great for the time and it was there first attempt at a Feature Film so it was alitttle bit long and too much into the Special effects ("ala Nomad-Changling bit") but the personalities were abit more Mature and was glad that in TMP Spock accepted his Human Side as being apart of him joined with his Vulcan Side to summarize it it was more a Intellectual film more than a Action film the other films 9 of them would be more to action hense TWOK etc including TNG Films should be noted that the opening theme to the TNG series is pretty close to the song from TMP and would i like to see about TMP and all the other films after it is how it evolved in the film series "TMP-TUC"

"Generations"-"NEMESIS"

:unsure: :bow::bow::bow:

I remember at the time, I couldn't wait for 'new' Star Trek, after watching TOS while it aired, and rerun after rerun in syndication.

I voted yes based on how I felt at the time. The only thing that disappointed me was the behavior of some of the fans in the theater. I wish I did not remember that. 

But this is the only one of the movies I have not seen on television, or rented.

256367[/snapback]

I agree, and that was how I voted as well. I really do think it's unfair to judge it based on what we have now and not based on what it was when it came out.

A lot of the members here are too young to remember a time when the only Star Trek that existed was TOS and there were no movies to enjoy. For those of you that fall into that category try to imagine it. There is no TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. There are no movies, the only thing in existance is TNG, or DS9 or whatever your favorite series might be. And add to that the fact that you haven't seen anything new for 10 years and the fact that you only got to see 3 seasons of that series (79 episodes) to begin with.

Now imagine a new movie coming out that features all of your favorites, Picard, Data and Riker. Or Sisko, Dax and Bashir. Would it really matter what the movie is about or would you just be so happy for something new and exciting?

For me, I was just happy for something new and exciting.

This definitely wasnt an action movie. I loved it because it was the first, and it ha a very serious mood about it. The opening Klingon battle scene and music was great. Cheesy by todays standards, but nonetheless top notch.

I think they should of Started the movie franchise with Kahn, but oh well, TMP is ok but I am glad they moved on t better movies