Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

The Great Link and the Hive mind

When Odo was in the Great Link he said he could hear the thoughts of the others? Is this similar, then, to the Hive mind of the Borg?

i would have to say similar only in the way that while their in the great link, they can hear, and feel eachothers thoughts, but they still have individual thoughts. then after leaving the link, they feel seperated, no longer hearing the thoughts of the others. but the borg are permantly linked, and also have no individual thoughts or ideas, or even function on their own. so IMHO the link is similar, yet quite different. :(

Hmmmm...I have a question then...

I'm not sure, but did Odo say he felt "his people calling him home" or was it just that he had a longing to go back?

I'm not sure of the episode, sorry... :o

Stingray

I'm not sure, but did Odo say he felt "his people calling him home" or was it just that he had a longing to go back?

I'm not sure of the episode, sorry...  :)

Stingray

From what I remember, one of the changelings said that they had engineered a desire to return home into him before he was sent out.

I'm not sure of the episode, sorry...  :)

Stingray

From what I remember, one of the changelings said that they had engineered a desire to return home into him before he was sent out.

That is correct, he had an instinctive desire to go home, he didn't hear "voices" per se.

When Odo was in the Great Link he said he could hear the thoughts of the others? Is this similar, then, to the Hive mind of the Borg?

I think it's similar in that their minds are connected for that time, but dissimilar in that it's voluntary. Remember, in "Broken Link" at the end Odo mentions that the other changelings were trying to keep things from him. So there is an ability to have some "privacy" in the Great Link where in the Collective they act as 1 being with 1 mind.