Sign in to follow this  
master_q

ENT Pre-Season III NEWS

Berman & Berman talk about next season

Executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga revealed more about the planned changes to Enterprise next season in an exclusive interview in the current TV Guide, now available on newsstands.

As previously reported, the May 10 TV Guide previews the season finale, "The Expanse", in which a mysterious Xindi probe arrives to "blast a swath of destruction" that wipes out everything on Earth from Florida to Venezuela.

"The hour ends on a chilling threat of more devastation to come", wrote Michael Logan, "but this is no mere summer cliffhanger."

To meet the threat, Enterprise is made combat-ready, and Captain Archer must "become tougher and more focused", according to Braga. "He will be forced to be a more decisive captain."

Scott Bakula said he welcomed these changes and hoped they would lead to good storytelling. "For two seasons, we've been this naive, open-eyed, awestruck crew", he observed. "Now there is urgency and purpose and desperation."

The changes will also have a profound effect on Connor Trinneer's Commander Tucker, whose hometown is destroyed and sister killed in the Xindi attack. TV Guide quoted an unnamed Enterprise publicist as stating that Tucker would become "a vengeance-seeking s--t kicker".

Berman stated that he does not yet know whether the Xindi storyline will last ten episodes or encompass the entire third season, but he promised that Enterprise would not become an arc show like 24, rather more like The Fugitive, where "each episode was a stand-alone story".

He added that the Xindi "will be a very high-concept foe", possibly including computer-generated insectoid characteristics.

"It's as if the evolution of Earth had been different and dinosaurs and amphibians and insects had developed into sentient beings right along with humans", said Braga.

To read about other planned changes, including the inclusion of "young, arrogant commandos" to provide muscle on the crew next season and T'Pol's conflict with the Vulcan High Command, pick up the May 10-16 TV Guide with Smallville on the cover, on newsstands now.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/060503_02.shtml

What do you think about this?

Good Thing? / Bad Thing? / . . .

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Edited by master_q

I think that it is about time that they have some drastic changes on Enterprsie. We need more conflicts with bad aliens and for Enterprise to be in a heated battle that will let us be at the tip of our chairs holding our breath for more. I will be especially glad to see that Tripp will be in offensive mode and I just hope that he keeps his mouth in check. I think that everyone will be glad about the changes and pleased with the extra elbow work that the directors place to make Enterprise a better show Next Season :(

Next Season . . . (ENT)

Warning: Spoilers!

Scott Bakula (Jonathan Archer) Wednesday night revealed he campaigned for Enterprise's commanding officer to toughen up next season after becoming "frustrated" with where his character was heading.

Speaking to UPN 9 News, Bakula said he approached executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and lobbied for a change in Archer's attitude. "I said to Rick and Brannon: 'If Archer doesn't start addressing the Suliban, or some of these issues that are out there, he's just either kind of running around the universe avoiding it, and that doesn't seem like him'. That's really when my frustration started."

In the UPN report, which featured footage from Wednesday night's season finale, "The Expanse", and other Enterprise episodes, reporter Pat Collins provided an overview of the changes planned for season three. "The cast will expand in the fall to provide brash, Navy Seal-like commandos," Collins said, adding that "the Enterprise will be ready for war, equipped with photon torpedoes."

The NX-01's new mission in the wake of a devastating attack will have parallels to current events, according to the news story. "Enterprise in its third season will reflect the public's change in attitude since 9/11," said Collins. Scott Bakula said he supported this allegorical angle. "Any parallels I would think certainly are justifiable, and what Star Trek has always been about in terms of parallel stories," the actor said.

After recent mentions of a possible Archer/T'Pol romance next season in TV Guide and the Kansas City Star (story), UPN 9 News raised the issue again. The station showed a clip featuring T'Pol saying "You need me" to Archer, followed by a shot of Archer and T'Pol kissing in "A Night In Sickbay". "And he may need her in bed too, next season," said Pat Collins in a voice-over.

But despite these media reports, Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) said recently she would be against a relationship between her character and Captain Archer. "You know what, I don't see that it would be in the best interest of the show or even the viewers and the audience for us to have an ongoing relationship," she told Extra.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/230503_01.shtml

Master Q

So maybe there will not be a relationship between them. I know a few have been angry about that idea (including myself to a certain perceptive).

Master Q

More Season 3 Spoilers

'Enterprise' takes off to save human race

"Enterprise" is going on a mission next season to save Earth from future destruction.

Any parallels in tonight's repeat of the season finale to Sept. 11 or the war in Iraq were unintentional, according to executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga.

"We were way out in the script stage before we saw the parallel," Berman said during a conference call featuring Braga and star Scott Bakula.

Braga added: "The idea of aliens coming to destroy Earth has been around a lot longer than Sept. 11. But anytime we can explore a contemporary issue, it makes the show that much better."

"Enterprise" airs at 8 p.m. on UPN, Channel 13. The season finale originally aired Wednesday. The prequel "Star Trek" series explores Starfleet's first missions in deep space 70 or so years before Capt. Kirk and company. The next two paragraphs contains plot spoilers.

A man from the future, who has guided the alien race called the Sulibans, tells Capt. Jonathan Archer (Scott Bakula) that it was the Xindi, a new alien species, who had dropped a large probe -- essentially a bomb -- on Earth, killing millions of people from Florida to Venezuela. Archer convinces Starfleet Command to let him go to the Delphi Expanse, a horrific area of space, to find the Xindi and prevent their plan to destroy Earth with a larger weapon.

The Xindi attacked Earth because someone else from the future told them that 400 years from now, Earth will destroy their planet. The communication from the future is all part of a temporal Cold War.

Is the man who talked to Archer telling him the entire story or even the real story? That's the question for next season, Berman said.

On "Enterprise," Archer and crew are trying to save Earth. Here on the real Earth, it's all part of a plan by Berman and Braga to raise interest in the series at a time when the ratings and fan satisfaction fall short of those for "The Next Generation."

"We went to the 10 'Star Trek' films and saw that two of the most popular movies, 'Star Trek IV' with the whales and 'Star Trek XIII' with the Borg, which Brannon and I were involved with, had to do with saving Earth," Berman said. "It's the first time in a 'Star Trek' series that we're taking on a mission besides exploring space."

Bakula, the former Ojai resident and "Quantum Leap" star who portrays Capt. Archer, said it's the right time in the series for the captain's mission. "I'm thrilled about it," he said. "Rick, Brannon and I were talking about the first two seasons, what we had learned, and I felt it was time for (Archer) to take a stand. It was time for him to pick up something and pursue it."

That's when Berman and Braga told him about the plan for the Delphi Expanse, a newly discovered part of space. "My character is going to be more determined; he'll be more driven," Bakula said. Searching for the Xindi won't distract Archer from his original mission of discovery, Bakula said. "The Delphi Expanse is unexplored; the emotion won't be lost."

Berman and Braga said the mission into the Delphi Expanse doesn't mean "Enterprise" is following the course of "Star Trek: Voyager." "It's not a 'Lost in Space' like 'Voyager,' " Berman said. "They're not going to be out of touch with Earth." And they could run into aliens familiar to "Star Trek," including Klingons and Vulcans.

The season has ended with the Klingons still chasing Archer for having escaped from their mining prison on Ruthe Penthe after Archer rescued refugees escaping from their empire. Will the Klingons follow Archer into the Expanse? "Perhaps," Berman said, not saying another word.

He added he doesn't know how long the story arc will play out.

There's a plot spoiler in the next paragraph.

Next season, T'Pol (Jolene Blalock), who resigns from the Vulcan Science Command in tonight's season finale to stay with the USS Enterprise, will experiment with human emotions, Berman said. Dr. Phlox (John Billingsley) will advise her as she does so.

"We've discussed bringing back Q (John de Lancie); it's possible," Berman said, referring to the all-powerful alien on "The Next Generation."

--http://www.insidevc.com/vcs/television/art...1988478,00.html

Do you like the idea of the possibility of Q coming back?

Why? Why not?

T’Pol experimenting with human emotions . . . . ?

Master Q

More about Season 3 (ENT)

Enterprise's new story arc has "striking" parallels to contemporary events, but season three won't be exclusively devoted to war, executive producer Brannon Braga said recently.

"There can be no doubt that there are parallels to what's going on," Braga told Kate O'Hare at Zap2it. "Of course, it's probably seeped into our consciousness. The parallels are striking. We talk about preemptive strikes on this show. The first attack on Earth is kind of Star Trek's 9/11, I guess. And we're trying to stop the next one."

Season three will reveal more information about the Xindi, the alien species which attacked Earth in the second season finale, "The Expanse". Braga said Enterprise will not be afraid to tackle the big questions in dramatising the conflict.

"But as it goes on, we don't want to just turn this into a show about war. We want to start digging into a lot of things about, who is this species? Why did they attack us? Why did we attack them, which prompted them to do this preemptive strike? Will we find a peaceful solution for this?"

The producer added, "Ultimately, this is about finding a better way, so we're not just doing a show where we're blasting aliens out of the sky every week. We want to evolve a storyline that gets very complicated and deals with all the issues surrounding current events."

Although new Star Trek television episodes have been produced continuously since 1987, Braga said it's important the writers don't rest on their laurels. "It's not as though some higher force has decreed that Star Trek will be on the air, forever. You can't take that for granted. I'll tell you right now, if you don't keep evolving the show, trying new things, and showing that Star Trek is still relevant, Star Trek could go away."

The full interview, in which Braga also talked about plans for Archer, T'Pol and Trip next season, can be found at Zap2it.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/020603_01.shtml

Master Q

Another Interview about next season (ENT)

Warning: Possible Spoilers

. . . .

Proudly ready to go where no Star Trek has gone before, executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga have given Enterprise something that other Star Trek series haven't had before. A mission, and what a mission it is.

In the second-season finale of the UPN series, a devastating attack on Earth by an alien probe led the crew of the Enterprise into a dangerous Bermuda Triangle-type area known as the Delphic Expanse to look for an alien race known as the Xindi. With the crew's mission determining the fate of the human race, Berman and Braga promise these events will lead to a "startling" new direction for the series as it heads into its third season next fall. That's a development that star Scott Bakula, who plays Capt. Jonathan Archer, is excited about.

Berman, Braga and Bakula took a moment to chat with Science Fiction Weekly during a press conference about Enterprise's new mission, the Borg and what T'Pol will be wearing next fall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The big season finale was seemed reminiscent of 9/11. Why explore this territory?

Braga: It was not a conscious effort to explore 9/11 or the events that led up to it. ... The parallels to 9/11 though, if you've seen the episode, the parallels are unmistakable. [but] it was not our intention.

Berman: We were literally way into the scripting stages before we started to see the parallel. I think one of the things that motivated us is in analyzing the 10 existing Star Trek movies, we were looking for something that would help torque up our series and add a little dimension to get a little added excitement towards the end of the season. We did a little analysis of our own and we saw that two of the most popular movies were Star Trek 4, which was the one about whales, and Star Trek 8, which was First Contact. These were both films that had to do with the future of Earth being at stake. And we decided that that would be a great place to start with. You know a lot of great science-fiction premises are based on this, just as the great Star Trek films were based on this. So that's where we started. It wasn't literally for a long time that we suddenly realized [the parallel]. But the idea of aliens coming to destroy Earth has been around a lot longer than 9/11.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott, what did you think about the parallels?

Bakula: I have to be honest with you. For me as an actor, I guess because I'm involved in our world here, subconsciously I know everything is framed by 9/11 now. But when I got the script I wasn't thinking, "Oh, we're going to take advantage of the 9/11 disaster and use it to our advantage." This is really more about a direction for our series. ... But I hope that it's compelling, and I hope it gets the fans ... from what I understand, there's a tremendous interest and excitement in the fan base around the world, right now, about this final episode.

Even though the parallel might not have been preconceived, are you glad that it's there? Is there the feeling that will make the series significant to viewers to today the way maybe the original series did, dealing with issues like race relations?

Braga: Anytime that we can revolve around contemporary issues makes the show that much better.

Are the Xindi a race we have seen before or not?

Berman: We have not seen them before.

Braga: These are things we play with as we develop the Xindi and their role on this Star Trek show. There may be reasons we've never heard of them. You know what I'm saying.

Berman: By the time we're done with this arc, there's going to be a reason why the Delphic Expanse has not been discussed by Capt. Kirk or Capt. Picard.

How long will this arc last? Will it be the third season or the whole rest of series or something in-between?

Berman: That's to be determined.

What would you say would be the difference between the coming year and what we saw this past year?

Berman: What we've decided to take on here in our third season, which is more than hinted on in this final episode, is that for the first time a Star Trek television series is taking on a specific mission, other than just exploring space. And because this mission is preceded by a very heinous act of destruction on Earth, the series is going to be far more action packed. It's going to be fraught with a lot more tension and action. Both our series and our captain are going to be more driven. There's a ticking clock and a great deal at stake for ... Earth and the Starship Enterprise.

So I think we're going to see a lot more action. I think we're going to see a crew from the captain on down that are going to be a lot more sure of themselves. Gone are the days of the first two seasons where these people were getting their sea legs. Where these people were taking their first steps out in space. It think they're going to be a lot more self assured, and I think they're going to a lot more mission-oriented in terms of going out there and getting a very urgent job done.

Braga: It's going to be the ultimate test for this crew.

It would seem that there won't be a lot of familiar faces either if you stay in the Expanse.

Braga: That's not necessarily the case. One of the promises next season of the Expanse is that it's a very, extraordinary dangerous part of space. And there will be a lot of new faces. It doesn't necessarily preclude us seeing [familiar faces, however].

On the face, it's starting to seem a lot like Voyager, where you're just meeting new civilizations and new creatures episode after episode?

Braga: It's actually quite the opposite. This mission is a mission which is going to be like a puzzle. They are searching for a specific species and a specific weapon. They will be putting together kind of the mystery and puzzle of the Expanse itself. It's not going to just be a ship heading home. They're trying to figure out the mystery.

Berman: And they're also going to be looking for a specific group of people who are in turn going to be looking for them. Enterprise at any time if they needed to could turn around and go home. This is not like the lost in space situation like we had in Voyager. Also, we are not going to be out of touch with Earth, nor are we going to be in an area where it's going to be out of the question that we're going to run into other humans. We're going to run into Klingons or Vulcans or what have you.

Scott, how do you feel about these changes?

Bakula: I'm thrilled about them. Rick and Brandon and I were talking several months ago about the first two seasons and what we had learned and what was ahead of us and one of the things that I was talking about was, I felt like they'd been enough experiences between the Suliban and what was happening to me with the Klingons and being an escaped prisoner from Rura Penthe, etc. That it was kind of time for the captain to stand up to a couple of these things and either take on the Suliban, take on the Klingons, whatever. That it was time for him to pick up something and really pursue it.

That was kind of half way through this thought of mine and both Rick and Brannon said, "Stop, stop, stop! Listen to what we've got going." And they proceeded to tell me what this third season was going to be like, which greatly enthused me. I'm very excited about it. I love the sense of purpose, of intensity, of sense of mission.

And it's not like I'm not a fan of the prior Star Trek franchises where it was kind of a planet every week. But ... it just feels like the right time to really get into something that has arc, that will survive not just the standalone episodes per se. That will have something for the fans to really hook onto every week and really get involved with. So I'm very excited about it.

How do you feel your character's going to be changing next season, because of this arc?

Bakula: Again, it's a totally different atmosphere for the whole crew and the whole ship. I've made a plea to please let me and my crew go out there, and risk our ship and our lives to potentially save Earth. So I've gone way out on a limb here, and my captain is going to do whatever he has to do to deliver on that promise to help save Earth. So again, in great sci-fi history ... at some point in time we know that I'm going to save Earth. So our crew is going to have some way of doing that. How we get there, how we figure it out, is what's the fun part. That's what the ride's all about.

But my character is going to be more determined, I think. And again, I haven't seen any pages for next season, so this is just conversations that I've had with Rick and Brandon, but he's more determined. He's more driven, and in a sense he's more worldly. He's maturing as a captain, and he's maturing in his third year of deep space exploration, as the first man to do this. So I think he's going to be ... I hate to say, more interesting than he's been in the past, but he's definitely going to be more driven and evolving.

Now that you've been on Enterprise for two years, how is this different than your experience on Quantum Leap?

Berman: He doesn't have to work as many days [laughs].

Bakula: That is a huge difference ... No, you know, it's been interesting for me to be part of a crew, a cast of seven, who are all very capable and wonderfully gifted actors, and many of them are just beginning to discover how good they are. So it's a pleasure to be involved. Before, it was just Dean [stockwell] and myself. And that was great fun, but it also made the work difficult because I had a random cast to deal with every week, with the exception of Dean. So now, I have ... our bridge days are very enjoyable, sometimes too enjoyable for our poor directors.

We have a great time. There's a great sense of camaraderie. I'm a big advocate of a cast working together and getting along, and that comes forth and onto the film. And I think that we've got that. I think it's a great bunch of actors. There's a lot of great chemistry. So that part, to me, is really a lot of fun. So that's a big difference. I'm really enjoying the collaboration, and the great sense of working with Rick and Brandon, and that's different from my experience with Quantum Leap. I never really got to participate that much in the show in terms of ideas and things, and input.

Berman: That's because he was 15 years old at the time [laughs].

Bakula: So that's been a big difference for me, and I'm enjoying that also. I'll tell you, it's wild be involved with something that's been around for 35 years and has history. Someone asked earlier about paying attention to the prior franchises. These guys are amazing in terms of their sense of detail and ... reverence might be too high of a word ... but they're really loyal to the fans and the history of the show, and they really take amazing care in paying attention to those things. So it's an extraordinary experience for me, and I'm thrilled that we get another year to keep going at it.

Rick and Brandon, obviously you're hoping that this new direction will bring back some fans and kind of halt the ratings slide that Enterprise has seen.

Berman: Oh, we're not interested in getting any more ... yeah, of course we are! [Laughs.]

Braga: Look, any time you have a show that's been on for as long as Star Trek, you always are have looking for ways to rejuvenate, whether it's the character Seven of Nine or a place called the Expanse or experimenting with the format of the show. It's an ongoing creative process to find ways [to keep it fresh] after 650 episodes.

You guys have been at this for a very long time with the different Star Trek series. What's surprised you most about Enterprise?

Braga: I think I speak for Rick when I say it's the most fun we've ever had working on a show. We've never enjoyed characters more and we've had a lot of fun writing the show.

Berman: It's just a remarkable ... I'm not saying this because one of our seven actors is here.

Bakula: I could leave.

Berman: Oh, no you don't. You've got to stick it out ... [Laughs.] We just really got lucky with these seven characters. We hired seven actors. The studio, the network, everybody was agreed on all seven of our choices and we just hit a home run with every one of them. They're just such a delight to write for. And we just have so much fun with them.

What happens each year as each character gets 26 more stories under their belt, they become more layered and they become richer and it's much more fun to write for them. They've got much richer back stories. And every one of them, they all step up when it comes to being able to get to the next level. So it's just been a delight for us. In a way, we're going to be trying to step away a little bit from the character-driven stories next year because we want to get them a little bit more plot-driven, adventure-driven stories coming in. But that doesn't mean that we're going to walk away from these wonderful characters that we're slowly [developing] with the help of these actors.

What can you tell us about these new villains, the Xindi? Besides the parallel of 9/11, there seems to be a parallel to the Iraqi war in there.

Braga: Again ... it was an unintentional parallel. But what you have in this case is a series of preemptive strikes [where] Archer begins to unravel the mystery and it may very well be that you don't know where the first strike happened. It becomes an interesting question.

Berman: Just remember that well before 9/11 in the creation of Enterprise, we were dealing with this temporal cold war that we created over three years ago where people from the distant future were communicating with Archer and dragging Archer to the future and coming to the past and telling us about various dastardly things that are going to be happening to us in the future and that we're going to be involved with and a whole series of cause and effects that we are supposedly to be part of. We're not quite sure how and why and there this character that we kind of affectionately refer to as Future Guy who has contacted Archer. But he's also contacted the Suliban.

That was part of our series at the very beginning. So we had dealt with the idea of wars and attacks and destruction in the future before. The fact that here we're taking about something that is taking place in the future and a group of people who are preemptively coming to attack us so that a future attack that they have learned about from time travelers is not going to happen. People who've been following Enterprise for the last two years, it clicks in a little bit more into our mythology and it's a little bit less coincidental.

Braga: There actually is a preemptive strike of a preemptive strike. [Laughs.]

Bakula: Just in terms of our own timeline here, this script was conceived and pretty much written before the Iraqi War was even started, so I just want to kind of clarify that for the guys here.

We don't even know if Future Guy is even telling the truth. The Xindi could be made up. He certainly has his own agenda.

Braga: Exactly ... And that's all part of the mystery that they're going to be getting into as they enter the Expanse to try and figure it all out. And somebody asked about the Xindi themselves, and we're just getting into conceiving the third season right now ... But our initial talks about the Xindi are that they are one of the more complicated species we've met. Imagine on earth if human beings not only evolved into [people, but also] certain reptiles, certain amphibians, certain insects, etc. etc. What if we had been a planet where there were many different kinds of species that came about? What would that be like? What would that culture be like?

I've heard there's going to be some changes in T'Pol's character. Could you talk about that?

Berman: Well, if you seen the story, you know that T'Pol has resigned her commission. She'll be doing the entire third season in the nude [laughs].

That will get the ratings up.

Berman: T'Pol, obviously now that she is no longer part of the Vulcan High Command, definitely there are going to be some changes and some of them are going to be physical. She's going to stop wearing her, so to speak, her Vulcan High Command uniform. We're going to start seeing different outfits on her. I think we're going to see some slight changes in her hairdo. I think it's going to be fun to see a slightly less austere T'Pol.

But I think also we're going to see her try to experiment a little bit with some of her emotions with the help of her fellow alien Doctor Phlox, she's going to perhaps try to experiment with some of the emotions that she sees exhibited with her counterparts everyday. So that will be something ... another element of the season that I think is going to fun as well.

What's the future of the movie franchise look like?

Berman: Obviously the last film Nemesis—which I truly believe is one of the best, I'm very proud of it—It didn't do well at all. Nobody's quite sure why and it's sort of finishing its international run now and it's coming out on DVD this week. I've had no discussions at all with the motion-picture people. So if that discussion occurs, it's probably not going to occur within this season.

Do you think you're always going to have more Star Trek stories to tell?

Berman: I don't know if I'm going to have more Star Trek stories to tell, but I think this franchise, it's been ongoing for 37 years. I think that there are times where it probably could use a nap, just like anything else. But I think it's ingrained in the American mythos and I can't imagine that it's ever going to go away for a very long time.

You guys have been involved, I believe, since Next Generation. Are you planning the next series?

Berman: Brannon and I have both been involved since Next Generation. I've been involved for a few years longer than he has. Brannon was involved with two of the movies. I've been involved with four. Right now our only focus is on Enterprise. I can happily say we're in no discussions either between ourselves or with the studio on any other Star Trek project.

Do you have to worry about the mythology of the previous Star Treks?

Berman: When we started with the concept of a prequel three years ago we realized that we had to pay great care to the Star Trek mythology. But we always did, because when you're dealing with science fiction you not only have to deal with the past, you have to deal with the future. Ever since we got involved with Star Trek: The Next Generation 16 years ago, we had to tread very carefully in waters that touched on things that dealt with the history of various species and various things that happened in Gene Roddenberry's original series. We've had to deal with that over the years in both movies and television series. We've had to deal with that more closely here because we're dealing with a time that precedes Capt. Kirk and Capt. Picard. It's really no different now. We treat Star Trek mythology with a great deal of respect. There are rules that we bend a little bit, but we try not to break them.

What was the thinking about why you decided to bring the Borg back and are you thinking of bringing the Borg back again?

Berman: The interesting premise of that was that in the movie First Contact, Capt. Picard and company went back in time to the 21st century. They kind of chased the Borg back in time. That was one of those movies I told you about where they went back to save Earth from being assimilated. There was some fighting between the 24th century Starfleet guys and the Borg back in the 21st century. So the premise that was brought here was that one of those Borg ships crashed on earth in the 21st century. And then in the time of Archer a hundred years later, one of those crashed Borg ships are discovered. Of course, nobody knows they're Borg. Nobody's ever heard of the Borg. It's the 22nd century. And that gave us a reason to have the Borg in a time when humanity had never heard of them before. So that was a wonderful standalone opportunity for us. As to whether they'll be brought back again, I don't know. We haven't discussed it.

What about bringing back Q?

Berman: That's something else that we've discussed and certainly is a possibility.

Scott, are you concerned at all that with the story arc about the Xindi that there won't time just to have that fill of exploration and discovering something new.

Bakula: Well, again just going back to what Rick said, I think that there's still going to be that opportunity and obviously the Delphic Expanse by itself is totally unexplored. And there have been no records, there's no knowledge of it at all, except that it's a place where people come out of it in a bad way. So I think that, I don't know that excitement is the right word, but there certainly is going to be an opportunity for great new experiences. So that emotion won't be lost.

Underlying everything is, and again I haven't seen a word from next season yet, but we won't have the opportunity to linger on the lovely island of Manitoba or whatever, and hang out swimming in the ocean for a couple of weeks, because there is a ticking clock and there's a sense of urgency. So it won't preclude us, I don't think from having experiences.

And Rick and Brannon even talked about that there still will be an opportunity to have an episode that has a little bit lighter moments. Obviously, you can't stay in that place 24/7. Again there will be a balance, but the overall sense will be the sense of mission. And I think that's OK. We've had two years of great experiences and great exploration and great learning. And now I think it's OK to go in a different direction for a while.

It seems like this is almost taking the crew from being children to being adults.

Bakula: I think it's a great opportunity for our part of the Star Trek history ... we parted ways with the Vulcans. We reached the point of being able to survive on our own and to make choices on our own and I think it's just natural that we're pushing that now. It's the third season. There's a certainly level of frustration for the Vulcans that my character's always felt and Starfleet has felt, and you're right. You know, cut the strings and let's go. They're not going. They're not interested in helping us in this particular venture. So it's a great way to tell the stories, I think.

--Scifi.com http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue319/interview2.html

Master Q

With filming on Enterprise's third season reportedly scheduled to begin on June 26 (story), the producers are planning to introduce several new elements to shake up the series — including fresh writers, characters and new story arcs.

"We've got story changes, new design elements and new characters that we will be introducing, and new costumes that will be added to some of our new characters," executive producer Rick Berman told Star Trek Monthly (via Sci-Fi Pulse). The new characters will likely be a group of marines which joined the Enterprise NX-01 in the season finale to provide some military muscle in the Delphic Expanse.

There may be a some fresh faces behind the camera too, with Berman looking for some new recruits to join Enterprise's writing staff. "We're in the process of interviewing a lot of writers now and we're hopefully going to be hiring two or three new writers for the show." There have been changes to the writing staff each season, with last year's additions being co-executive producer John "Minefield" Shiban and consulting producer David "Judgment" Goodman.

Berman and his fellow executive producer Brannon Braga have already got stuck into plotting the season's initial stories. "We're working on a variety of different arcs and set-ups for the first half dozen episodes," he said. "All of that was set up by "The Expanse" and we're both very pleased by how it all came out."

Enterprise's new mission to seek out the Xindi has opened up a myriad of possible plot developments, according to Berman. "I think that we've set it up properly, with Archer having been given this remarkable and auspicious responsibility, Trip dealing with the death of his sister and T'Pol having made a commitment to Archer. It's set up a very exciting new direction. And the Delphic Expanse is going to be a very strange and spooky place. So, the finale is enabling us to come up with some fresh and exciting story ideas that we're now in the process of writing."

To read the full interview, in which Berman also talked about Star Trek Nemesis and fan response to Enterprise, pick up issue 106 of Star Trek Monthly. Alternatively, further excerpts are available at Sci-Fi Pulse.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/170603_02.shtml

What is your outlook for ENT’s season 3?

Do you think that it will do better then the first and second season? (In terms of quality and in terms of ratings)

Master Q

If you look at all the Star Trek series, they always start out slow and then hit their stride. I did not like TNG, DS9 or Voyager the first season. Each one improved as the series evolved and I personally thought the last 2 seasons of DS9 and Voyager were exceptional. Hopefully, Enterprise will raise the bar and prove to be a strong series.

I like the characters but the problem is they haven't developed the relationships as strongly as in the other series. T'Pol, Trip and Archer seem to be the focus almost every week. I like the story lines in which they all interact and each character adds to the episode.

With new writers I really hope that it will give ENT the boom it needs to be a good show and get higher ratings. You never know - maybe (just maybe, but I kind of doubt it) it will turn out to be a “TNG” success. (The third season of TNG they got a new writing staff and then the show really took off)

Master Q

"We're in the process of interviewing a lot of writers now and we're hopefully going to be hiring two or three new writers for the show."

There’s a bit of good news, this is what I would call a new direction of great importance, ENT might pull through afterall...

"Season Three Production Commences"

With their brief hiatus in the real world over, the Enterprise cast and crew have returned to the 22nd century to shoot the show's third season.

Thursday, June 26, was the first day of production on "The Xindi", Enterprise's third season premiere, StarTrek.com reported. The title refers to the mysterious aliens who attacked Earth during the opening moments of last year's finale, "The Expanse".

Filming on "The Xindi" is expected to last for nine days, until Tuesday, July 8. According to the official site, the new military officers, who will be recurring characters, are set to make their debut in the episode. There are currently no details on who has been cast to fill the new martial roles.

Viewers will likely get their first glimpse of the mysterious Xindi in the episode, which is said to feature "new creatures, sets, effects". Construction on the new locales reportedly began during the hiatus so they would be ready when shooting commenced.

In keeping with the "new" theme this season, science officer T'Pol is set to get a makeover. Actress Jolene Blalock last week tested the "slightly more casual look" for her Vulcan alter-ego.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/270603_01.shtml

Master Q

Berman & Braga Talk Xindi,

Season Three Changes

Star Trek's two executive producers revealed some more of season three's long-promised changes, indicating some of them would be a major departure from the established star Trek formula.

"We really want to push the envelope with the aliens we depict," Enterprise executive producer Brannon Braga told Dan Madsen at the Star Trek Communicator (via TrekWeb). "[We want] to stop getting guys with just bumpy foreheads all the time. With the Xindi, it's not going to be business as usual."

Besides the Xindi, Enterprise's new direction will include a major evolution for Jonathan Archer, and increasing tensions with the Klingons. "One of the things we definitely plan to do is test Archer's moral compass. When he tells Trip in 'The Expanse,' 'We're going to do what it takes,' that's very ambiguous. That's all part of the reason for doing this. The way in which they get through this adventure is going to define them as a crew."

The rift between Earth and the Klingons will widen due to the events in the new season. "This doesn't bode well for humanity's relations with the Klingons," Braga continued. "They are not happy. In fact, the prosecutor in 'Judgment' says that we're lucky they didn't hold our planet responsible for Archer's 'crimes.' I always felt that was an ominous hint at larger things to come."

Finally, in a separate interview Enterprise's other executive producer, Rick Berman, also provided some hints about next season's new storylines. "We have talked about the fact that the laws of physics don't necessarily apply in certain areas of the Delphic Expanse. In the first handful of episodes we're going to start learning why. We're going to start finding out that some of the chaos that exists inside this area of space is perhaps not as random as it may appear."

The first of these new episodes will appear the 24th of September in the form of The Xindi. If you're anxious to find out more before that, the full interviews with Braga and Berman can be found in issue 145 of the Star Trek Communicator, available now. Alternatively, some more excerpts are available at TrekWeb.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/300603_05.shtml

Master Q

I am looking forward to season 3. Hopefully the show will find itself. When I watch old episodes of TNG or Voyager, it is so apparent how weak Enterprise is compared to the other series. The writing and character development seems to be hit or miss.

Well, I'm excited. It seems new and fresh, and maybe everything will fall into place this season. I think the character development will happen with time.

I agree with you Indy. I think everything will start falling into place next season. Some of the story endings have been a bit disappointing so far, but i have a feeling that will start to change.Character development is what Trek does better than anyone else, and it always seems to improve once WE get to know them better i feel. Everyone knows i am no lover of Berman or Braga but i have to say the way they are taking season 3 sounds very promising. I just wish i lived in the States so i could get to see it sooner.Sky one are not showing it over here till January, i think.

ENT Commandos

Season 3 Spoilers

Enterprise executive producer Rick Berman said recently viewers shouldn't expect to be introduced to the all of the NX-01's new military contingent in the third season premiere.

"These are not going to be regular characters," Berman told Ian Spelling in the latest issue of Star Trek Monthly (via Sci-Fi Pulse). "They are going to be recurring characters. We're going to be bringing them along as needed and the ones that work and the ones we like, we'll be keeping, and the ones we don't, we won't."

At the time of the interview, the producers still hadn't decided on a formal name for these space marines. "The number of these commandos — and I call them commandos because we're not exactly sure yet what we're going to be calling them — is going to be somewhat indeterminate," he said. "So, the casting can be quite fluid for us."

While much attention has been focused on the commandos as a source of conflict, Berman said some of them will also bond with the existing Enterprise crew members. "We're not bringing these people on board to serve primarily as a source of conflict for our characters, but when you bring onboard non-Starfleet people, who are trained fighters, you're going to get some conflict and you're also going to get some growing camaraderie. So, it will go in both directions."

The full interview, in which Berman also talked about the release of Star Trek Nemesis on DVD, can be found in issue 107 of Star Trek Monthly. Alternatively, excerpts are available at Sci-Fi Pulse.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/140703_01.shtml

How do you feel about this?

Do you like that they are bringing in new characters like the ones talked about?

Master Q

The Xindi

Season 3 Spoilers

Enterprise's third season is set to open with the crew having made significant inroads into the Delphic Expanse.

StarTrek.com yesterday posted the official synopsis of the season premiere, "The Xindi", which takes place six weeks after the end of "The Expanse". "Captain Archer and his crew learn of a Xindi working at a mining colony," the site said, "and set out to track him down and gain information about the mysterious antagonistic race."

The episode will feature various Xindi species, including Xindi-Reptilians, Xindi-Sloths, Xindi-Humanoids and Xindi-Aquatics. As executive producer Rick Berman revealed in TV Guide's May preview of the third season (story), there will also be Xindi-Insectoids.

Production on "The Xindi", which was completed last week, necessitated the construction of several new locales, such as the trellium mining colony mentioned in the synopsis, and a "Xindi meeting chamber". A "nightmare sequence" featuring 'Trip' Tucker was filmed a the Paramount Theatre.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/150703_01.shtml

Master Q

The episode will feature various Xindi species, including Xindi-Reptilians, Xindi-Sloths, Xindi-Humanoids and Xindi-Aquatics. As executive producer Rick Berman revealed in TV Guide's May preview of the third season (story), there will also be Xindi-Insectoids.

:laugh: Fascinating, Sub Species of a Race is something I don’t remember ever seeing done before on Trek, I am intrigued by this announcement and am growing more excited for the new season with every passing moment.

:laugh: Fascinating, Sub Species of a Race is something I don’t remember ever seeing done before on Trek, I am intrigued by this announcement and am growing more excited for the new season with every passing moment.

Same, I think it's so neat that in one species they can have reptiles and humanoids among other things.

I too, can't wait for the third season to start :lol:

I think it might be good to have some non-regular/recuring characters on the show. They could bring some depth and freshness to the story plots and arcs. However, I wish they had done this with the regular crew. We only got to meet Cutler, Kelly and Rostov, to name a few. We didn't get to meet any of the Red Shirts (Stripes).

I guess we'll have to wait and see. 64 days and counting to the season premiere!

ENT’s Season 3 coming sooner!

Enterprise will be the first UPN show to return from summer hiatus this year.

UPN will air Enterprise's third-season premiere, "The Xindi", at 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 10, Zap2it reported. It will be followed at 9:00 p.m. by new lead-out show Jake 2.0, which replaces the short-lived Twilight Zone.

Despite earlier reports that UPN had decided to debut its new schedule in the week of September 22 (story), the network has chosen to roll out its fall line-up significantly earlier. September 22 (the day after the Primetime Emmys are presented) marks the official start of the fall season, and sister network CBS will be unveiling most of its series during that week.

In the lead-up to Enterprise's return on September 10, UPN plans to show several double-bills of season two episodes, according to Psi Phi. This will culminate on September 3 with a repeat of "The Expanse" just prior to the launch of season three the following week.

UPN will unveil most of its comedy-heavy line-up in the week following the return of Enterprise. One new sitcom, The Mullets, will debut at 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 11, after a 90-minute edition of WWE Smackdown!, before moving to its regular Tuesday 9:30 p.m. timeslot.

Monday, September 15, sees the return of The Parkers, Girlfriends and Half and Half, as well as the debut of the new series, Eve, starring the rapper of the same name. On September 16 One on One kicks off the new Tuesday-night line-up, followed by All of Us, Rock Me Baby and The Mullets.

The complete UPN fall schedule can be viewed at Zap2it. The full summer rerun schedule for Enterprise is available at Psi Phi.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/220703_02.shtml

Master Q

Sign in to follow this