Sign in to follow this  
dsbs

Best 2nd Officer

Who'd you think was the best 2nd officer?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who'd you think was the best 2nd officer?

• Scotty
    • Data
    • Jadzia Dax
    • Tuvok
    • Tucker
    • Can't decide
    • Not listed because of a mistake by dsbs

I voted for Jadzia Dax.She was an intelligent and experienced officer with natural leadership skills.Plus,she had all of her former hosts' experience (particularly,Curzon's diplomatic skills) to call upon.She could of had a command of her own,and probably would have been DS9's XO after the war,had she not died.

I can't decied I like them all but I thought that Sulu was second officer not scotty its just in most of the shows that scotty was left in comand sulu was on the planet with kirk and co. or was not in that show. What do you think?

Scotty's my man.He never liked being in command,but when some crisis put him in that position,he never backed down and proved a capable leader.

Here's a question: In ST-5, when Kirk leads an away mission to Nimbus V, how come Chekov is left in command instead of Scotty? Perhaps it was because Scotty was waiting in the shuttle bay for Kirk's return?

My vote goes to one of my favorite characters in ST.

Lieutenant Commander Data :bow:

Mrs. Captain Picard

Here's a question: In ST-5, when Kirk leads an away mission to Nimbus V, how come Chekov is left in command instead of Scotty?  Perhaps it was because Scotty was waiting in the shuttle bay for Kirk's return?

Kirk had given Scotty marching orders to get the transporter working.

Here's a question: In ST-5, when Kirk leads an away mission to Nimbus V, how come Chekov is left in command instead of Scotty?  Perhaps it was because Scotty was waiting in the shuttle bay for Kirk's return?

That wasn't till till they took a shuttle to the planet at the galactic core. Durring the away mission to rescue the 3 diplomats from Sybok on Nimbus III, I'm pretty sure that Scotty was in the shuttlebay control booth.

That wasn't till till they took a shuttle to the planet at the galactic core. Durring the away mission to rescue the 3 diplomats from Sybok on Nimbus III, I'm pretty sure that Scotty was in the shuttlebay control booth.

Ah yes that's true, I see now. Off the top of my head I can't remember anytime during an OS film Scotty was in command of the bridge as we had seen him be a few time's in TOS. My guess is sometime between TOS and TMP it was agreed Scotty would not be put into the command chair any longer. In Relics he said he only ever wanted to be an Engineer, I believe after TOS that is all we ever saw him be.

Maybe they changed to the pollicy that the highest ranking senior officer on the bridge would take over, instead of the chief engineer? It seemed this way in post-TOS. I also like how Trip takes command in ENT from time to time, like how Scotty did in TOS.

Were there times in TNG when Laforge took command? I seem to remember a time or two he was and if true that would negate the change in policy idea. In any case I prefer to think of Scotty's situation as (based on what he said in Relics) he just flatly asked Kirk if he could not be put in command anymore and Kirk granted him the request.

Its got to be my man Tuvok.I would have been really upset about the whole chain-of-command if I had been him (or maybe not,because I would have been Vulcan).I understand why Janeway did what she did.But just imagining all the hard work and effort and sacrafice Tuvok had to put into achieving his rank and position,just to have all of that swept aside so a traitor to the Federation and the Starfleet could assume his rightful position of authority.....that would've made me go all "Amok Time" on Chakotay.I can hear the music now.All I need is a lerpa and Chakotay's history.

I was just thinking. Is thier such a position as 2nd officer? I thought it was Captain, Executive Officer, and then the other senior officers. It was allways my impression that if the Captain and 1st Officer were absent, that the highest ranking senior or bridge officer would take command.

I was just thinking.  Is thier such a position as 2nd officer?  I thought it was Captain, Executive Officer, and then the other senior officers.  It was allways my impression that if the Captain and 1st Officer were absent, that the highest ranking senior or bridge officer would take command.

From Data's personnel file at st.com:

STARFLEET PERSONNEL FILE: Data

Final Rank: Lieutenant Commander

Last assignment: Second Officer/Science Officer, U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E

Data was introduced or referred to as the Enterprise's Second Officer in many TNG episodes.

Well, ST.com is not fully accurate. Data was never a science officer, allthough he could function in that manner. I believe you if you say that Data was referred to as 2nd officer durring the series. However, he was the Enterprise-D & E's chief opperations officer. Same job title as Chief O'Brien's on DS9, but different role. :blink:

LOL..WHY DO YOU THINK I HAVE SCOTTY AS MY PIC!!!!!!!

HES THE MAN,HE GOT THAT SHIP GOING MANY TIMES WHEN

KIRK WAS UP AGAINST IT.