Sign in to follow this  
Xeroc

Surge Protectors

Something that never happens in Star Trek:

A console fails to blow up because of a highly sophisticated 24th century technology called a 'surge protector'

I think it is kind of cheesy when all the consoles blow up in a battle scene. I mean the only reason they do it is to make it look cooler. What do you think - too unrealistic or too cool???

Reply and share your opinion on this age-old quandry!

well it is quite unrealistic, but it does add to the feel of intensity and desperation. it adds to the experience of the show

Of course it is unrealistic. I think we all know that.

To me I don’t really like the idea that the show has the computer blow up and all of those things to that nature on the bridge.

Does it make the show more entertaining?

Maybe a little, but I think in general if ST was without it (the blowing up equipment on the bridge) then the show would not lose any entertainment value. So I think we should have had the show without it, but now it has been there so long we can't really get rid of it.

---

[Off Topic]

(This just poped in my mind . . .)

One day I should ask a salesperson for a joke “Why are these batters mislabeled?” and I point to the ‘re-chargeable batteries’. Well now you might be asking what’s wrong with that title. It is the fact that you can’t recharge something it is impossible according to physics. In fact a battery will always have charge (well basically). The reason it “dies” is because it does not have any more energy to pump it out. That is the reason it “dies” . . . it is not because it does not have anymore charge. It is the same reason we say “we have an energy crisis” and not that we have a ‘charge’ one. Say you have a circuit. That circuit there is charge everywhere (assuming the bulbs actually light . . . . closed circuit) and the battery is supplying that energy that is needed to make that charge move through the circuit. So a better term then ‘re-chargeable’ is ‘re-energizable”.

(Sorry for getting off topic)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Something that never happens in Star Trek:

A console fails to blow up because of a highly sophisticated 24th century technology called a 'surge protector'

I think it is kind of cheesy when all the consoles blow up in a battle scene.  I mean the only reason they do it is to make it look cooler.  What do you think - too unrealistic or too cool???

Reply and share your opinion on this age-old quandry!

A surge protector will protect a computer from a surge of power, but if you multiply the surge of power above what the protector will cover, say 10x 50x or 100x, then you will have an explosion.

THis could be a possible explination for the explosions we see.