Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Egyptology

I have always been fascinated by this era of history and the technology involved in building the pyramids. A couple of years ago I watched a special that talked about a shaft in one of the pyramids (Giza I think) with a barrier placed near the end. They sent a little robot camera down the shaft and were discussing how they would find out what was behind the barrier. Anyway - they mentioned political tension as one reason anyone outside Egypt might not be involved in the research.

My question is has anyone else heard anything about this or do you follow the topic?

About that shaft with the door at the end, a month or so ago they sent a bot with the ability to cut a small hole through the door so a little camera could look to the other side, it saw another door. :laugh:

About that shaft with the door at the end, a month or so ago they sent a bot with the ability to cut a small hole through the door so a little camera could look to the other side, it saw another door. :laugh:

bummer..

Usually history bores me stiff, but I LOVE Egyptian history - iit's just so interesting! I have books and books and national geographics on them!

One day I will travel arouond the world, see Egypt and climb the pyramids... :laugh:

I love Egyptian history, but i've never really been into the pyramids that much, and I usally don't watch the specials on the pyramids because it's always the same thing.

My little sister(my real sister) planned on or is still planning to become an Egyptologist, she has the Book of the Dead, and several books regarding Egypt and Egyptian mythology. I can always ask her, if she knows/heard/read anything on the subject.

Myself I love the ancient Egyptian art and mythology. My favorite mythologies are Greek, Egyptian, Celtic and Scandinavian.

Ancient Egypt is one of our favorite topics here at the studio. One of the points that always comes up is how did this civilization even start? What suddenly clicked in the heads of these people to organize they way they did and develop the belief systems they used? If you look at the history there, there is no record of a gradual developing. It's almost as if the culture sprang up overnight. How did the idea of an afterlife come into being? I am constantly reminded of the backwater islands in the pacific that were used by the navy during world war two when these isolated pockets of tribes thought that we were gods. They even built wicker models of the airplanes that brought supplies to worship in the belief that they were messengers of the gods and would bestow on them the same wonders they saw being unloaded. In ancient Egypt, the idea of the pyramids were meant to be tombs for the pharoes and would be the instrument to lead them to the stars. Just how did they develop this idea? There are still many more things about the ancient Egyptians that we still have yet to discover. Slightly off topic is the fact that in this area of the Earth, particularly around the valley of the kings, the Earths magnetic field has the weakest influence. Extrapolating the idea of ancient astronauts and speaking on pure speculation, if you were an ancient visitor to this planet and were looking for a place to touch down, so to speak, wouldn't it make sense to pick the one place on the planet that was relativly flat and had the least amount of magnetic interference to safeguard the electronics of your vessel? Could this have had something to do with the sudden rise of the Egyptian civilization? I know that this has all been brought out before but it has never really been discarded, even by those who have studied the area. Again, there are more mysteries there then there are answers. And for those here who say history is boring, I can only answer with what one of my history professors told me years ago. When it comes to history, how can we know what the future holds or where we are going when we refuse to recognize where we are and how we got here? The way to the future lies in the past.

One thing I learned from these programs that I hadn't realized is that the pyramids and other monuments lay for for centuries in the sand visited only by looters. The rest of the "world" only became aware of them in the 1800's - I think because of Napoleon. I think I read (someone please correct me) that they used to burn mummies for fuel when building the railroad. Makes me cringe.

Another fascinating discovery was the presence of cocaine in mummies. They investigated all possible explanations but are left with the explanation that there must have been some type of commercial contact with South America during that time. Peru is another area famous for "ancient astronaut" research. One thing for sure - there are some tantalizing mysteries to pursue.

I think I read (someone please correct me) that they used to burn mummies for fuel when building the railroad.  Makes me cringe.

You're not wrong. Mummies were at one time so plentiful that they were used as fuel for the railroads and some industry. So much was lost that it will centuries before we recover from that, sort of like the burning of the library of Alexandria. I also still don't buy the accepted explanation for the age of the Sphinx. Water erosion is water erosion no matter what part of the world you're in. Whoever really built the Sphinx left one of the biggest mysteries for modern mankind to unravel. Unfortunately, the Egyptian government will attempt to discredit anyone and anything that dares say that the ancient Egyptians were not the first in the area and that they had nothing to do with the Sphinx.

Somewhere in a documentary, they mentioned that also since mummies were so plentiful, and that since they were so well preserved for their lives in the afterlife that people believed that their bones had healing properties. Many a mummy was ground up to make lotions, potions and tonics in the hopes that it would give the user everlasting youth, how's that for sad and ridiculous? I mean who knows, somewhere a missing pharaoh(since they are still searching for all people that belonged to each dynasty) could have been ground up for someones vanity!

And there you go. Just one more reason why we humans are morons. (Where was that discussion again?)

And there you go. Just one more reason why we humans are morons. (Where was that discussion again?)

It was which race did we like the most, remember us Soong Sisters voted for our beloved's species(for those who don't already know, android).

Myself I love the ancient Egyptian art and mythology. My favorite mythologies are  Celtic

i love egyptian myth, and reality. the pyramids are a MARVEL to say the least, and the sphynx is just cool. the religion is something else too. having a god for so many different things. like rah the sun god. a lot of things about egyptian history do make you think, the advancements, the similarities between egypt, and the incans, so many miles apart but so similar. Stargate SG-1 is obviously fiction, but think about some of the show, the possibilities of another race of beings strongly influencing some of our earth culture. its just so neat to think about all the myths, facts, and possibilities.

i also am interested in Celtic history, i want to learn more about it, since i just recently found out its more apart of my heritage than i thought previously.

history is so far from boring, its what you make it, make it fun, there is ssooo much there to learn about. its amazing.

If you guys love Egyptian Mythology then I highly recommed the game 'Age of Mythology' by Ensemble Studios. I learned so much about the Egyptian, Norse, and Greek myths. It enhanced what I already knew. Also, the game is a built-in simulational 3D Engine and excellent; the reason for the 3D Engine is that in the opening sinatmatics, there is an introductional movie to the 'journey' that you will embark on as a mythical hero. The game begins as you being a hero of the Greek Ledgend Arkantos, and then merges into you being the Egyptian Hero, and then finally a hero of the Norse Ledgends. The game is really enjoyable and highly addictive. :devil:

If you guys love Egyptian Mythology then I highly recommed the game 'Age of Mythology' by Ensemble Studios. I learned so much about the Egyptian, Norse, and Greek myths. It enhanced what I already knew. Also, the game is a built-in simulational 3D Engine and excellent; the reason for the 3D Engine is that in the opening sinatmatics, there is an introductional movie to the 'journey' that you will embark on as a mythical hero. The game begins as you being a hero of the Greek Ledgend Arkantos, and then merges into you being the Egyptian Hero, and then finally a hero of the Norse Ledgends. The game is really enjoyable and highly addictive.  :devil:

I had seen that in the store and was wondering if it was any good, I love Egyptian, Norse, Greek, and Celtic mythology....and was really interested in hearing a review, Thanks ;) !!!

I was going to purchase it before a review, but my personal computer didn't meet the minimum requirements, but however, my family's computer does....

Thanks!! I'm definately getting that one. We used to have a subscription, but we never renewed it :look: