Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

In The Pale Moonlight

I've seen a lot of people mention that they've never seen "In The Pale Moonlight". This episode, in my opinion is the best episode of any Star Trek show or movie ever made. It is a MUST see episode.

This is a clip from that episode, but be warned this is the final scene of the show and could serve as a spoiler. So if you do not wish to see the final scene do not watch this video clip.

If you do however want to see it it is an awesome scene of Sisko. This episode is also the only episode of Star Trek ever made in which the actor speaks directly to the camera, at least according to the special features of the DS9 DVD's anyway.

Again, let me warn you. This clip might act as a "spoiler", so only watch it if you don't mind that fact.

pale_moonlight.wmv

It truly is the very best of Trek. I guess some people were all upset with DS9 for being the "war" Trek, but I found it realistic and a good backdrop for everything that is decent in humanity.

Sisko rocks ... but Garak stole the show. I get chills even now thinking about him in that episode.

Yeah, Garak was great in this episode. At the end you have to wonder if things just happened they way they did simply because that's how they happened or did Garak know all along they would happen this way?

If anyone is having trouble making the video play when you click on it, save it to your computer then play it. It's 1.78mb.

I enjoyed the video clip VBG..Course I've seen this episode several times and feel it is one of the top 3 Star Trek episodes of any series..And I do like the final scene..(Your video clip)

Garak was also fantastic in this episode..Garak and Sisco Rock.. :thumbs:

Yeah, when I saw that final scene for the first time I just said "Wow!" and I knew from that moment that this was the top episode of all time (for me).

I havent seen it but i dont want any spoilers so ill just ask a quick question. Which season is this from so i can buy the correct Box Set.

Thanks

I always loved this episode and when I clicked on the link to watch the end again, I got the chills! Truely the best that Trek can get.

I always loved this episode and when I clicked on the link to watch the end again, I got the chills!  Truely the best that Trek can get.

So true, and I encourage everyone to watch this episode.

The whole speech is very powerful. It just gives me chills everytime I hear it.

The whole speech is very powerful.  It just gives me chills everytime I hear it.

Yeah, it is.

Click For Spoiler

Any comments on the video clip? Had everyone already seen this episode?

246445[/snapback]

i have never seen that one and i like to think i know my DS9,i just cant remember that episode but now i know which season it is hang should have it on tape :tribble:

Here's a cool fact: In the Pale Moonlight is the first episode in Star Trek history to feature a character talking to the camera.

Here's a cool fact: In the Pale Moonlight is the first episode in Star Trek history to feature a character talking to the camera.

246939[/snapback]

Yeah, it is and it's pretty cool I think. I thought I had mentioned that but may have only thought it.

I have been rewatching my ds9 episodes and just got to this one just the other day. I have to agree after watching this one you just have to sit their and think.

Wow. It must be good :bow: I'm going to have to wait until I buy that season on DVD, I don't want to ruin anything for myself!

Aww. That's season 6! I haven't even started my season 2 yet :dude:

Here's something else interesting about this episode according to the Tales of the Dominion War anthology. I'll put it in a spoiler box as to not ruin it for anyone who hasn't read the book.

Click For Spoiler

I saw the episode and I like it. To me many of the episodes in Season 6 were very deep. They dealt with deep issues, and that depth was actually probed in the story.

(sometimes deep issues are treated superficially...not in DS9).

Even though I liked Pale Moonlight, I thought it was kind of overrated. I guess what Sisko did made me go so-what and I didn't mind. Besides, it was Garak who really pulled off the extreem thing, and the federation approved of the plan. I did like Sisko's final log though.

I've seen several net polls over the past few years indicating that a large portion of Trekkies think this was the best and most powerful epidose in all of Trek. It is in fact the reason I started the polls here, to see if it would hold true here as it did in those polls. So far it has.

In the Pale Moonlight is not just the best of Trek it is fantastic television. It makes great viewing wether you like sci fi or not. The smartest thing in it though is the historical aspect. According to sme souces the British intercepted a message form the Kaiser of Germany to the leader of Mexico saying that if Mexico could keep America busy and not join the war in Europe then Mexico had first dibs on annexing America after the war. Historians believe that no such meassage was sent but that it was a plan by the British Government to involve the Americans in the war. Luckily the sinking of the Lusitania and Woodrow Wilsons persuaded them to join anyway.

In the Pale Moonlight is not just the best of Trek it is fantastic television.  It makes great viewing wether you like sci fi or not.  The smartest thing in it though is the historical aspect.  According to sme souces the British intercepted a message form the Kaiser of Germany to the leader of Mexico saying that if Mexico could keep America busy and not join the war in Europe then Mexico had first dibs on annexing America after the war.  Historians believe that no such meassage was sent but that it was a plan by the British Government to involve the Americans in the war.  Luckily the sinking of the Lusitania and Woodrow Wilsons persuaded them to join anyway.

254545[/snapback]

I also drew those conclusions, though in a little different way. I don't remember the full story of the Lusitania but I have read that Churchill knew that the German Subs were patrolling the area that the Lusitania would go through and knew that it would likely be sunk but allowed it to go without warning because he knew that the US would likely be drawn into WW I because of the sinking.

It has also been said that Churchill knew of the attack on Pearl Harbor before it happened but didn't warn the US for the same reason, to bring the US into WW II. In fairness to Churchill though, it is said that FDR was told and also wanted a reason to get into the war and didn't warn Pearl Harbor on purpose.

I don't know if any of these things have been proven as fact, but if they are fact I understand the reasoning and to an extent agree with them. You hate to see innocent lives taken like that but they weren't taken in vain and in the end may have saved countless other lives around the world.

I don't know how much of the story is fact either but I think it was the controversial idea that appealed to Peter Alan Fields when he pitched the story.

Spike just showed this episode today so I finally got to see it. it has been a couple of years but man, great episode all around.

You definately get a lot of Garak developement including how he can plan something so intricately that it will work and have the skills to carry it out.

I was also thinking about what the repercussions would be if the Romulans ever found out about the deception. At least a novel touched on it but maybe in the long future, many years from now, there may be an episode about it.

I will end with a question though:

Click For Spoiler
Cardassian territory and Romulan territory are on different sides of the UFP. So how did Senator Vreenak get to Cardassian territory. I doubt the Federation would let him pass through so did he go all the way around UFP territory to get to Cardassian space? And how then does the Dominion operating in Romulan territory get there? Did they go all the way around as well?

Any thoughts?

I haven't read any of the books, not the DS9 books anyway. I've read 2 or 3 of the TNG books but that's about it.

253751[/snapback]

I normally don't like to read books about television shows, but the Avatar and Mission Gamma series DS9 books are just really good. You really feel like it's a continuation of the series and I was glad to see Ro Laren join the crew on the station. I have not read the Left Hand of Destiny Books, nor the Stitch in Time thing about Garak, but for me a little Klingon goes a long way (same for Garak). Both those elements are much better as seasoning rather than the main course, which is how they are treated in the books I mentioned.