Sign in to follow this  
cyphrx

Takei and Shatner

Did Shatner and Takei ever reconcile their differences? I remember seeing an old clip from "Hard Copy" where Takei called him a bastard and blamed him for ruining a scene in Star Trek II where they talked about Sulu's character was going to command the Excelsior. This was during the time Shatner's Star Trek Memories was best seller on the New yor Times list. I read the book and he really has nothing but nice things to say about Takei and even apologies for any resentment that he may have caused during the three season run of Star Trek. But I also re-call some bitter remarks from Bill he let open on the Greg Kinear show. I'd imagine that Doohan has at least made peace with Shatner since they were in another movie together past Star Trek VI and they were both in the TV land awards. But still, even I know it's none of my business, I wish the stars were at least on friendly terms like their television counterparts.

I really don't know if they ever reconciled. I always had the impression nobody on the show really liked Shatner. :innocent:

According to Takei's and Nichols' books (which came out after Shatner's first), the bitterness extends from the first series. Both mention that Shatner is very charming in person, but basically extremely self-serving and uncaring of the people around him. According to my understanding, there was an uneasy truce b/t BS, JD, and WK during the short time they were filming together for the most recent movie.

I don't know as they've made peace, or just accepted the situation for what it is and are moving on.

Just out of question, is Takaie a nice person? Because if he just goes around calling people names, I wont take any notice of this, but if he IS nice, then there must be something wrong with Shatner (which I'd prefer to believe because a) I don't like Kirk, b)I don't like Shatner, and c) I DO like Sulu/Takaie - he's my 2nd favourite on the snow! So I'd prefer to believe he's a nice person, but I'd like to know....)

This isn't really my field of knowledge but everything I have read indicates that George Takei is a gracious and kind individual. I haven't read a lot of Con reports but the ones that I have have read speak of him in glowing terms.

I know from many who've met him that Sulu is a very nice individual. Just check out the videos on his website, georgetakei.com. Also I noticed that he has a link to william shatners site. Maybe things have calmed between the two after all....well the name calling at least.

usually you can tell a little something about someones actual character by what comes through in the character they play. shatners parts in anything alwasys seem a little condecending, and arogant, thus i tend to beleive that he is the guilty party. although i really dont know for sure. its just a gut feeling. but i always liked kirk, but you can just see something there.

I hope you can tell, because then all the actors who play my favourite characters are nice (I mean, I wouldn't like them if they weren't)...but I just wanted to be sure, lol...

usually you can tell a little something about someones actual character by what comes through in the character they play.

If that's true I think I'll have to write Jonathan Frakes tonight. In%20Lurve.gif Genie probably wouldn't go for that. laughing-smiley-002.gif

I read that when Doohan and Shatner spoke their lines in Generations they avoided eye contact and that can be seen in the movie. The whole cast seems to dislike Shatner as he tried to steal the show in every respect. But then I think that deep down they could be just a little jealous!

I once met Takai at a convention, and he is very, nice, gracious gentleman. I think Shatner is a little to arogant and self centered my my tastes.

I don't think he and Shatner ever settled their differences. I think he provided the link to Shatnes site because he doesn't seem to be the type to go around trying to turn everyone away from someone just because he doesn't like them. Like a said -- a gentleman and a gentle-man

Judecat