Who's the cooler android?

Who do you like better?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you like better?

• Data
    • Lore
    • don't like either
    • Data...no...Lore...aaaaaahhhh*head explodes*

Suppose that makes sense as well but then you look at the sophisication of Datas mother who turned out to be a android and realise she was a lot better than B4 ever could be.

Suppose that makes sense as well but then you look at the sophisication of Datas mother who turned out to be a android and realise she was a lot better than B4 ever could be.

But he had different objectives when it came to the android Julianna. He wanted her to look, function and act as human as possible whereas with Data, Lore and B4 there was no attempt to make them seem to be anything other than what they are - androids.

Data's neural pathways weren't always as sophisticated as they were by the time he came to the Enterprise. In the episode Eye of the Beholder, Data told Geordi a story about how years before the number of neural pathways in his positronic brain had increased exponentially. He had found it to be disorienting and had considered wiping his memory and starting over which would have been like committing suicide. It is possible that B4's neural pathways could have undergone the same process and become as or more sophisticated than Data.

Personally I like the idea that B4 was created after Data

That wouldn't fit with B4:s designation though.

As for the poll question. Data is cooler hands down as someone put it. But Lore scores points for singing Abdul Abulbul Amir.

Edited by Hooray for boobies

Personally I like the idea that B4 was created after Data

That wouldn't fit with B4's designation though.

Facts from Inheritance, Juliana said that Noonien Soong:

1. had created 3 prototypes before Lore;
  2. could not maintain a stable matrix with the three prototypes;
  3. created Data after Lore was dismantled.

So Juliana knew of 5 androids created by Noonien Soong - three prototypes, Lore and Data.

Given those facts, B4 could not be one of the prototypes for two reasons:

1. his designation wouldn't fit if he were one of the three prototypes;
  2. the three prototypes each suffered cascade failure which cannot be repaired (if it could then Lal wouldn't have died)

Conclusion: Noonien Soong must have created at least one android that Juliana did not know about which means B4 was either created prior to the Soong's marriage or after "android Juliana" left Noonien Soong. Since the designation of B4 wouldn't fit an android created before the three prototypes and a viable Soong-type android created 40+ years prior to ST: NEM being unknown to anyone makes the before marriage option seems very unlikely.

Therefore, it can be theorized that B4 was created after "android Juliana" left Noonien Soong and before the episode Brothers.

My Theory:

Since Juliana did not give names or designations for the prototypes, it is entirely possible that two of the prototypes Juliana spoke of could have been designated A1 and A2. Since both suffered cascade failure, it would not be difficult to believe that Noonien Soong would then make some changes to his positronic brain design and start a new series of prototypes so you would have this:

Series "A"

A1 - cascade failure

A2 - cascade failure

Positronic brain redesigned.

Series "B"

B1 - cascade failure

B2 - redesignated as Lore after he proved to have a stable matrix

B3 - redesignated as Data after he proved to have a stable matrix

B4 - incomplete with no name redesignation

Canon that supports my theory:

1. In Brothers, Noonien Soong said the only difference between Lore and Data was programming.
  2. In ST: NEM, Geordi said B4's neural pathways weren't as sophisticated as Data's however we know from the episode Eye of the Beholder that Data's neural pathways had not always been as sophisticated as they were by the time Geordi met him.
  3. The only other difference Geordi mentioned was the port in B4's neck which we were later told was added by Shinzon.

Therefore if the sophistication of his neural pathways was the only difference between B4 and Data before Shinzon found B4 it could be suggested that B4 was created after Data using the same positronic brain design as one prototype, Lore and Data but that B4 had not had all of his programming added by the time of Noonien Soong's death.

I don't think that you are right.

The designation B 4 could be not correct.

And the mother of Data was only another android - therefore she could not know all the truth - in fact, she doesn't know that she is an android.

"B 4" could mean in fact "BEFORE" something else...

And the mother of Data was only another android - therefore she could not know all the truth - in fact, she doesn't know that she is an android.

The android Juliana had the memories of the real Juliana. In Inheritance, during the scene in which Data is talking to the holographic Noonien Soong on the holodeck, Soong tells Data he used a synaptic scanning technique to transfer the memories of the real Juliana to the android version and that the technique worked. So anything the real Juliana knew about Soong's work, the android Juliana also knew.

And the reason Juliana didn't know she was an android was because she was programmed by Soong to not know.

What B4 stood for, if anything, is all speculation. Anything that Data, Geordi or Picard said about B4's origins in ST: NEM was strictly speculation on their part just as my theory is speculation on my part.

Data may not have had the emotional content, as it were, that his brother did-but not for lack of trying! And as has been pointed out by such as Jean-Luc, that is part of what makes him 'human'..and unique. Who wouldn't want to have a friend like Data, who would never judge you, and would appreciate all of those aspects, which make us who we are...he is ' a nice guy"!

Data. I hated it so much when Lore kicked him in the head on that episode. And Lore's stupid grin. Data has more love and compassion... I mean, he's so innocent... bless him!

What B4 stood for, if anything, is all speculation. Anything that Data, Geordi or Picard said about B4's origins in ST: NEM was strictly speculation on their part just as my theory is speculation on my part.

It may be just speculation, but your theory makes a lot of sense, Takara. The A series and B series, I completely agree would make things fall into place a lot more than B4 being an older brother. And for Data, Picard, Geordi et al to say he is a prototype would also make sense, as they do not know where he comes from and that he appears to be vastly different in sophistication would make them assume that he was before Data and Lore. And true they could have just speculated as others here and elsewhere I would guess come to think is that his name meant "before". Which honestly could seem quite valid. Though had his original name from the earlier scripts remained B9 would have totally thrown everyone's theories for a major loop. Save for the fact that B-9 sounds like benign. *shrugs* Mmm its anyone's guess, but your theory mapped out the way it was seems to put more perspective on the Soong family tree.

I don't have it, but the comic ''Countdown''-from what I have heard of, and seen, in a few omline excerpts, has the guys' 'eldest brother' assuming-becoming/-Data..he did dump a lot of 'data'-wink, wink-into B4's memory..to me, it was a nice enough way, if not officially canon, to have him back in the Trekverse...

Fan Fiction? I am clueless :Hmmm...:

Fan Fiction is non-cannon stories fans right about characters in a universe to further expand this universe. Because almost all of these are unofficial, they are usually considered non-cannon what if, let’s say this happened kinda of things. They are great, well some are, some are horrible, horrifying, and weird. They range in rating from G to extremely graphic Nc-17. The more shades of grey that a character has, the more people seem to want to write fan fic about them. For example Lore, we know so little really about him, so there is a wide world about how he came to be, what he did, and what made him the android he is today.