Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Episode Spotlight DS9

Ever wonder what was REALLY in Hanger 18? Was it REALLY a weather ballon or was it actaully an alien spacecraft? Watch "Little Green Men" and learn the truth of what happened in Roswell in 1947.

Cousin Gaila gives Quark a shuttle craft he has owed him for ten years and Quark, being the generous Uncle that he is decides to fly Nog to Earth where Nog is scheduled to attend Starfleet Academy. What could go wrong? Watch Quark, Nog and Rom along with an unexpected travel guest as they accidentially fly right into the heart of Cold War Earth.

Click for Spoiler:

A mishap sends Quark, Rom, and Nog back in time to Earth of 1947 in Roswell, New Mexico, where military forces mistake them for alien invaders.

Quark is excited to receive a shuttle his cousin Gaila has owed him for ten years, and decides to use it to fly Nog to Starfleet Academy on Earth — while doing a little smuggling on the side. But, just as the shuttle enters Earth's system, Rom is unable to take the ship out of warp, and realizes that the spiteful Gaila designed the ship to malfunction. Luckily, Rom figures out how to stop the ship and make an emergency landing. However, when the three travelers wake up after the crash, they find themselves in an examining room — in July 1947 at Roswell, New Mexico.

Outside the room, a team of United States military and science personnel has assembled, including General Denning, Captain Wainwright, Professor Carlson, Nurse Garland, two M.P.s, and a German shepherd. The group observes the Ferengi trio, who they believe to be Martians, then enter the room and attempt to communicate. Unfortunately, none of the three can either understand or talk back, since their universal translators were damaged in the crash. Realizing, however, that these are primitive humans, Quark smells profit. While Carlson and Garland observe the aliens, Rom manages to convey to the nurse that he wants her hairpin, then uses it to work on the translators. Garland then summons the others — Quark is speaking English, and he has a business proposition for them!

Quark explains the translator to his stunned hosts, then offers to sell them advanced technology. However, the suspicious General Denning demands that Quark tell him why they are really on Earth. Quark insists they have come to do business, if not with the Americans, then with the Russians. Later , when the three are alone again, Quark watches with surprise when the dog suddenly morphs into Odo, who stowed away on the shuttle to catch Quark smuggling. Odo tells the group where their ship is hidden, but Quark doesn't want to leave. He's sure he can manipulate the primitive humans and become Earth's ruler, caring nothing about how he would alter history as a result. But Quark's thoughts of conquest are put on hold when he, Rom, and Nog are forcefully taken to an interrogation room.

Quark is repeatedly injected with truth serum, but it doesn't work on the Ferengi. Nog then steps in and claims they are the first of an invasion fleet that has come to take over Earth. He gets Captain Wainwright to untie him and uses the opportunity to deck his captor. Carlson and Garland, not pleased with the treatment of the aliens, step in to help them escape and return to their ship. When General Denning tries to stop them, Odo appears to save the day, and the group takes off. They use an atom bomb test blast to help send the ship back to their present, and are able to drop off Nog at Starfleet Academy after all.

Synopsis from StarTrek.COM

It's a good setup for future Gayla problems.

I was in Roswell, NM about a year ago, and kept thinking of this episode. Whatever y'all believe about aliens, SOMETHING happened there that people originally tried to hush up. Now maybe it's outgrown itself...aliens gone beserk.

I loved the outfits/hair, etc in this ep. And the nurse was great. Didn't they think that Rom was a woman? (Something about his "grooming" Nog when he was trying to fix his translator.) And the comments about irradiating our own atmosphere. :innocent:

It's a good setup for future Gayla problems.

I was in Roswell, NM about a year ago, and kept thinking of this episode.  Whatever y'all believe about aliens, SOMETHING happened there that people originally tried to hush up.  Now maybe it's outgrown itself...aliens gone beserk.

I loved the outfits/hair, etc in this ep.  And the nurse was great.  Didn't they think that Rom was a woman?  (Something about his "grooming" Nog when he was trying to fix his translator.)  And the comments about irradiating our own atmosphere. :innocent:

THey thought Rom and Nog were Father/Son and thought Quark might be the Mother :(

ive never seen this episode, but it sounds pretty good, hopefully ill be able to see it sometime sooner thant later.whats the name of the episode

ive never seen this episode, but it sounds pretty good, hopefully ill be able to see it sometime sooner thant later.whats the name of the episode

Little Green Men.

I remember when I saw this episode for the first time about a year ago. I went on to the st.com boards a week later and they were all railing against Enterprise for having the Ferengi on and how that loused up the timeline, etc., etc. When I pointed out that the Ferengi had been to Earth in this DS9 episode and they didn't consider the timeline to be loused up then how could the unnamed Ferengi in Enterprise louse it up.

Any way, it was a great episode. I hope I can see it again soon.

I remember when I saw this episode for the first time about a year ago.  I went on to the st.com boards a week later and they were all railing against Enterprise for having the Ferengi on and how that loused up the timeline, etc., etc.  When I pointed out that the Ferengi had been to Earth in this DS9 episode and they didn't consider the timeline to be loused up then how could the unnamed Ferengi in Enterprise louse it up. 

Any way, it was a great episode.  I hope I can see it again soon.

That's a good point, Quark tried to louse up the timeline on purpose and I never heard anyone complain about that.

The people at ST.COM will complain about anything and everything. I am just glad to be away from there!

Another classic Trek Timetravel story. Why is it the best episodes of Trek mostly involve some form of Time Travel. Love it. Would be interesting to see them warp into our timeline where they are nothing more than a TV show. Ha ha! :alien:

Hey did that general smoking the cigars play Adam from Way to Eden?  :laugh:

No, there is a similarity (slight) but they are 2 different actors.

Wow I didn't think it was him, I stand corrected. (I knew when I said no I should check the credits first :o too lazy at the time though LOL)

075_03.jpg

480355.jpg

I thought to myself when I saw this, "oh no. not another time travel episode"! And with Roswell. Jeese! But it turned out to be funny and entertaining. Especially hearing Ferengi without the universal translator.

My wife and I especially enjoyed one particular scene in this show.

It's somewhat of a tradition in our family that any pet we get, must be named for a "Star Trek" character(it beats having to name a cat "Fluffy" or "Muffy" :o ). Anyhow, in February of '94 she came home with a German Shepherd puppy. As we'd had pets named Deanna and Troi(ferrets), and the dog was a male and my favorite show was DS9, I thought the best name to pick was Odo(I didn't think that "Sisko" and "O'Brien" made for good dog names).

So seeing Odo(the real one :laugh: ) shape-shift from a German Shepherd guard dog into his "regular" self was quite a cool thing.

Stingray

Cool Trailer Too :innocent:

In 1947

In A Place Called Rosewell

Carlson-"You Can't Keep This From The Public Forever"

One Event Shook The World

Carlson-"Beings From Another Planet Have Landed On Earth."

Quark-"My Name Is Quark. I've Gotta Business Proposition For You."

Now Quark's Playing For Profit In Earth's Past!

Rom-"I Wanna Go Home!!!"

Quark-"We're Not Going Anywhere!"

Quark-"Inside Of A Year, We'll Be Running This Place."

On An All New

Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Undoubtedly, this episode is one of the finest DS9 comedic episodes. The only one that I like better is season six's "The Magnificent Ferengi".

Undoubtedly, this episode is one of the finest DS9 comedic episodes.  The only one that I like better is season six's "The Magnificent Ferengi".

The Magnificent Ferengi was a great episode, I have to watch that one tonight now. LOL

Finally got to see it.  This was a great episode....I will have to watch again when I get home.

I knew you'd like this episode.

Thanks for recommending it. Any others that I should concentrate on getting?

Finally got to see it.  This was a great episode....I will have to watch again when I get home.

I knew you'd like this episode.

Thanks for recommending it. Any others that I should concentrate on getting?

Ok, I'll go through the list season by season of what I would say get first:

Season 1

1x06 - Captive Pursuit

1x10 - Move Along Home

1x14 - The Storyteller

1x16 - If Wishes Were Horses (Fun story)

Season 2

2x07 - Rules of Acquisition (Good Ferengi episode)

2x08 - Necessary Evil (Good "murder mystery" Episode)

2x22 - The Wire (Great Garak episode)

2x23 - Crossover (Mirror Universe)

2x25 - Tribunal (A look at Cardassian justice)

2x26 - The Jem'Hadar (First look at the Jem'Hadar and Vorta)

Season 3

3x01 & 02The Search (2 Parter - First time we see the Defiant)

3x03 - The House of Quark (Quark Slayer of Klingons! Need I say more?)

3x11 & 12 - Past Tense (Great time travel episode. Reference to this episode is even made in Little Green Men on Quarks ship)

3x14 - Heart Of Stone (Nog? In Starfleet?!? Sub Plot - Odo in love?!??!?)

3x16 - Prophet Motive (Quark and The Prophets)

3x19 - Through the Looking Glass (Mirror Universe)

3x20 - Improbable Cause/3x21 - The Die Is Cast (Great Garak 2 part Episode)

3x23 - Family Business (Moogie!)

3x25 - Facets (Odo kisses Quark!)

3x26 - The Adversary (Important for Season 4 Ending)

Season 4

All 26 Episodes

Highlights -

4x03 - The Visitor

4x05 - Indiscretion

4x08 - Little green men

4x11 - Homefront/4x12 - Paradise Lost

4x14 - Return to Grace (Good Dukat episode)

4x23 - To The Death (The first Weyoun episode)

4x26 - Broken Link (Important to Season 5)

Season 5

All 26 Episodes

Highlights -

5x01 - Apocalypse Rising (Siski, O'Brien and Odo as Klingons)

5x03 - Looking for Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places (Good Quark Ep)

5x06 - Trials And Tribble-ations

5x10 - Rapture

5x14 - In Purgatory's Shadow/5x15 - By Inferno's Light (Great 2 parter)

5x22 - Children Of Time (Loved this Episode!)

Season 6

All 26 Episodes

Highlights -

6x10 - The Magnificent Ferengi

6x12 - Who Mourns For Morn

6x13 - Far beyond the Stars

6x14 - One Little Ship

6x15 - Honor Among Thieves (Great OBrien EP - Important for season 7 Episode 7x11 - Prodigal daughter)

6x19 - In The Pale Moonlight (The Best of the Best)

6x20 - His Way (We meet Vic for the first time)

6x23 - Profit And Lace (Quark in Drag - Need I say more?)

6x26 - Tears of the Prophets (Jadzias Farewell and importand to season 7 episode 1)

Season 7

All 26 Episodes

7x06 - Treachery, Faith And The Great River (Gread Nog/Obrien Odo/Weyoun Ep)

7x08 - The Siege Of AR-558 (Awesome Nog Episode)

7x10 - It's Only a Paper Moon (Could be considered Part of AR-558)

7x15 - Badda-bing, Badda-bang (Good Vic Episode)

Finally get all of the last 8 episodes, the final story of DS9 is spread out over those last 8 episodes.

Basically I say get every singel episode of DS9 ever made. After you have every single episode start looking for more that you may have missed or that someone is hiding from you. If you find hidden Episodes PM me right away - I WANT THEM!! :innocent:

From season 4 I said Get all 26 Episodes, that's because to name the highlights would mean typing all 26 of each season in. There really are no "bad episodes" from season 3 down. I tried to just hit on some great moments in seasons 4 through 7 but I skipped a lot of great episodes in between. Seriously, I know all the other Niners here will back me up when I say you need all of the episodes.

Hope this helps.

I am going to download all of them, I was just looking for a batting order. I have been concentrating on 4 and up because that is where I started missing episodes..

Thanks

I am going to download all of them, I was just looking for a batting order.  I have been concentrating on 4 and up because that is where I started missing episodes..

Thanks

The above list should give you a good starting point of episodes to go after first. I tried to put the real highlights in the list. But if you start with season 4 episode 1 and go in order you wouldn't go wrong either.

I would suggest taking season 6 and 7 in order though. Don't skip around, there's a lot of on going stories in the final 2 years.

I am going to download all of them, I was just looking for a batting order.  I have been concentrating on 4 and up because that is where I started missing episodes..

Thanks

The above list should give you a good starting point of episodes to go after first. I tried to put the real highlights in the list. But if you start with season 4 episode 1 and go in order you wouldn't go wrong either.

I would suggest taking season 6 and 7 in order though. Don't skip around, there's a lot of on going stories in the final 2 years.

Thanks for the advice

I watched this episode again as I was falling asleep last night. I learned the valuable lesson again not to try to turn this one on and go to sleep, lol. I ended up watching the entire episode before I realized that I really should have been asleep since I had to work this morning.