Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Were the Eugenics Wars 12 years ago?

In Trek's timeline, did the Eugenics Wars occur from 1992-1996?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. In Trek's timeline, did the Eugenics Wars occur from 1992-1996?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other [please specify]

What is your view on the Eugenics Wars?lastresort.jpg42.gif

(Taking note that Greg Cox's trilogy [i think he has two volumes finished though] is considered un-canon.)

khan1.jpg

I think that maybe originally it was from 1992 - 1996, but because of side effects from all this temporal manipulation the point in which that and other things occured probably was changed, and the Eugenics Wars probably was something that occured along with WW3 as a result of these temporal changes, thus why it took so long to repair the damage and why there never appeared to be anything going on during the 90's.

As for why the gal in the Voyager episode had a model, perhaps it was just a concept during that time like many we have about our possible future spacecraft.

Take for example how early 20th century sci-fi writers and illustrators imagined the appearance of craft that would be used to get to and land on the moon, mars and other bodies in the solar system.

:laugh: I ment 1996....

Mod please change what is said in the poll to: 1992-1996. :)

lastresort.jpg42.gif

Edited by drwho42

1992-1996 was the Eugenic Wars era, but in Carpenter Street (2004) it seemed as if the wars did nothing to the normal era of 2004, if im not mistaken in the Star Trek Book "The Eugenic War" its stated that the SuperSoldiers took over most of Asia and Africa, so i could be wrong about the effects it might of had on the Carpenter street setting.

I think that maybe originally it was from 1992 - 1996, but because of side effects from all this temporal manipulation the point in which that and other things occured probably was changed, and the Eugenics Wars probably was something that occured along with WW3 as a result of these temporal changes, thus why it took so long to repair the damage and why there never appeared to be anything going on during the 90's.

As for why the gal in the Voyager episode had a model, perhaps it was just a concept during that time like many we have about our possible future spacecraft.

Take for example how early 20th century sci-fi writers and illustrators imagined the appearance of craft that would be used to get to and land on the moon, mars and other bodies in the solar system.

You can't have such a significant change to the timeline without severely effecting centuries to come. Having a war take place decades after it should could go as far as gettign Cocrane killed, changing the flight date of the Pheonix so Humans never meet Vulcans, and possibly prevent the UFP from ever forming. History is extremely dellicate, you can't change an event and expect future events to stay the same.

CJLP, it is beginning to look as though my suggestion that the Eugenics Wars happening during (/being the same as) WW3 could be something that paramount actually goes with, current talk about the star trek "prequel" movie includes this topic.

Well to be practical, outside the Star Trek Universe and from a production point of view, I would say that to be confident in storylines that are interesting and rich in Star Trek flavour, certain continuity elements that would otherwise restrict the storyline have to be overlooked once in a while. The Eugenics wars is indeed a very strong plot device and has a lot of appeal from the point of view of being a part of establshed Trek, and i'm sure that we can all overlook the point of a date being out of place.

Playing along with the argument, however, and trying to fit the Eugenics Wars into Star Trek as est as possible I would suggest my theiory: genetic manipulation started in the 1990s but the whole full blown war didnt start to the mid 21st century....

Guest Mike_Hines01

I just thought I'd put in a piece of an article from ST.com on this subject which may help:

But we had to ask about the place of the Eugenics Wars in the Trek universe. In "Space Seed" it was clearly established that the Khan-led conflict occurred in the 1990s. However, in "Hatchery," Archer mentions that his great-grandfather fought in the Eugenics Wars (which would probably put them in the mid-21st century). How is Coto dealing with the chronology issue?

"I'm not dealing with it. There's no point. They were in the 1990s because the old series ran in 1966 and that was the future then. Clearly, we're in 2004, and there haven't been any Eugenics Wars that I know about! So, simply, the Eugenics Wars 'happened' — they happened in the past [relative to the current show]. I don't know how else to do it."

This was taken fron an article about season four of Enterprise, if you would to read to the whole article it can be found here:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/6193.html