Sign in to follow this  
gul_nodrog

Do You Ever Feel Like Crying?

Someone asked me the other day if my husband and I put on uniforms and went to Trek conventions (I was in the midst of trying to explain our Trek obsession to her). While I assured her that we did not (NOT that there's anything wrong with that!), I did tell her that I sometimes felt like crying because DS9 was not an actual place, that the Enterprise doesn't really exist and that Klingons, Cardassians and B'ajorans are just figments of someone's wonderful imagination.

O, to be part of the U.S.S. Enterprise crew serving under Jean-Luc Picard! O the joy to see Sisko and Dax stroll the promenade while I sit in Quark's watching O'Brien and Bashir playing darts!

Oh boy, do I need to get a life!

Yes, I feel a terrible sadness at times that I will only leave this Earth once and it won't be in a spaceship.

I also get empty stares from people whenever I try to explain how I feel about space and the world of Star Trek.

Oh boy, do I need to get a life!

It's okay...you have a life....Star Trek is just a part of it.... :laugh:

I know exactly what you mean Gul..I get very, very emotional about Star Trek and everybody I meet just don't understand..Their attitude is like you do know it isn't real right ? I know it's only a TV show but I'm so wrapped up in the world of Star Trek and the many wonderful characters..I'm not one to cry when watching a TV program but I can't tell you how many times I have while watching Trek. I am so wrapped up in the characters. I was devastated after I watched the final episode of DS9..Some time has gone by now and I think it was the finality of it..There were really going to be no more new DS9 episodes for me to watch..I loved that show..

And it does sadden me that the world of Star Trek isn't real...But I always tell myself 'It's real to me'..So the heck with all the non-believers I'm having fun with it.. :laugh:

You know what gul? So what! The H*ll with them. Talk to us, we are here. I can't talk to anyone about this either, I learned MY lesson a long time ago. Why would you DO that to yourself. Just decide not to talk to anyone you have to convince Star Trek IS real. We know it's not but we just don't think about that. We here all live in our own little world of POSSIBLITIES! :blink: WE ARE VISIONARIES! :laugh: Problem solved. It so hard to find something in this life that makes you happy and there are PLENTY of people out there only too happy to take it away from you. forget them. Then you can cry about other stuff. :laugh: :blink:

its ok I cried alot about LOTR. I cried when I found out most of the elves leave, except for like 5 and everyone dies. :laugh::laugh: :blink: why arwen!! why not eyown aragon you idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man you should see me and my friend we cried because gondor began ligthing the beacons. LOL

I don't cry but I kind of feel weird when I realize that none of these people really exist. I feel that way about all of trek, and other shows like Seinfeld, MASH, and 24. The characters feel so real and you get to know them so well.

I wish I was Gardenia right now :laugh: And you think you've got problems??? :blink: :laugh:

I was devastated after I watched the final episode of DS9..Some time has gone by now and I think it was the finality of it..There were really going to be no more new DS9 episodes for me to watch..I loved that show.

Have you read any of the Mission Gamma books or the Avatar books? DS9 lives again through these .... they are really engaging and it truly feels like we just pick right up where the final episode left off.

Of course, I felt like crying when I finished the last book in the series, but there will be more to follow.

I've really never liked Star Trek books, but these are somehow different to me. You should try them if you haven't already.

I have never read any of the Star Trek books so I can't really comment on them. And DS9 was really not my favorite in the Series of ST. But I think what your feeling transends all that. I do feel the same way you do. It's just Fantasy and it's ok to feel this way. People have for thousands of years. Make believe has always been a part of the human condition. We all like to dream, we just tend to stay in those dreams longer than so called 'normal' people. :waaaa: It's ok, really. :waaaa: I'm replying to you twice so far because I think about this all the time.

It's interesting that non-Trekkies just don't get it and Trekkies are so wrapped up in it that we really wish it was real. The non-Trekkies look at us as if we're lunatics because "it's only a TV show!" and we look at them and feel sorry for them because they don't have the experience of having something as important to them in their life so they can't understand.

I always tell them this, It's not "just a TV show". It's 5 TV series that consist of over 600 combined episodes and 10 feature films. Then add in the cartoon series and all of the books that have ever been written and take into account that America's very first Space Shuttle was named after Star Trek's USS Enterprise. It was and is far more then "just a TV show".

I often wish the new frontier book were real. and that i lived on ship with my steve and capt. Calhoun

Yeah, I am dissappinted that Star tRek is not real. I would love to be an officer on a starship and perform the duties of a member of Starfleet.

I have an extreme desire to travel through space and see what's out there, and not in a space shuttle.

It's all so real to me that sometimes when I'm watching programs about our current space program, I'm thinking "How primitive!" As if ST science is fact and our guys are just completely behind the times! Going to Mars? Pssht ... how far is that from the neutral zone?:waaaa:

I can completely understand why Lt. Barclay became a holo-deck addict. If I had a holodeck, I'd create DS9 and people it with all the DS9 characters (prior to them being scattered to the four corners of the universe) and I'd just go live there. Can you imagine? Of course, you'd have to trust someone on the outside to keep the power on and I guess you'd have to come out every one in a while to pay the mortgage and go to the bank ....

:waaaa:

Thanks, everyone for responding. I would tell you that the person I was talking to was not being condescending ... she really was interested in why we liked ST so much. She's a cool ol' broad ... she has a tattoo and she belly-dances (and she's the grandmother of my son's best friends from preschool!).

tell that to my younger self... who went to a paramont park where there was a phaser and Klingon walking arround... went to the phaser and said to my dad that I wanted to shoot the bloody p'tok... or something like that. Then something to do with biting...

Oh yeah, my eyes are starting to feel watery right now :laugh:

I dream of flirting (unsucessfully) with Spock, chatting with friends over Romulan ale, flirting with Scotty, and getting into bar fights at Quarks.

My dream job is to be the cheif enigneer on some starship.

This is a painful topic for me.

I do get upset when I think about the fact that it is not real, but I agree with VBG it is more than just a TV show. Star Trek has been an inspiration for many technilogical advances and has also inspired all of us that love the show.

It Is A Shame We Get Joked About.

Ladys Please Do Not Send Me Hate Mail.

But At Work I Hear Day In Day Out About So And So From Pine Something

Like They Live Next To Them .People Can Be Soap Opera Junkies.

But We Get Talked Down Because We Like Trek

Sometimes in rush hour, I think it would be great to have transporters.

Sometimes in rush hour, I think it would be great to have transporters.

oh, definately. Also, for the period of time I was traveling nearly an hour to go to school(up to 4 days a week) I definately wished for a transporter more than once.

Yes, I do sometimes. I was very upset that Data died. I was upset when the Star Trek The Next Generation ended. I was happy that Star Trek Deep Space Nine was still on and some of Enterprise's people were assigned to the Deep Space Nine Station. I cried when Jadzia was killed.

The show is alive and kicking in the Avatar Books which are quite good. The Mission Gamma Books I haven't read yet. I'll get to them after I finish

Double Helix (Omnibus).

The Star Trek is alive to most of us because all we have to do is pick up a book, start reading and we are there. It is a form of escape for those of us who want to escape the harsh reality that we live in. :clap::clap::clap:

So remember that when you have a bad day, all you have to do is pick up a Star Trek book and your there. It is as real as you want it to be. :clap::clap::clap:

I don't cry but I kind of feel weird when I realize that none of these people really exist. I feel that way about all of trek, and other shows like Seinfeld, MASH, and 24. The characters feel so real and you get to know them so well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about 24 - I cry during nearly every episode! I also have to fight back tears during the opening credits of Enterprise, even though I don't like the current version of the theme song, and at times I feel sad that the ideals of Star Trek aren't more widely practiced.

I forgot to mention how much I'd love to live on DS9, meeting all the different aliens. What a great learning experience it would be!

Edited by BakulaBabe

This topic reminds of the scene in Galaxy Quest when Tim Allen was calling the Galaxy Quest fan for technical help. The kid started off explaining that he understood it wasn't real, and that it was a TV show, and he was not a nut case...and then Tim Allen interjected with "It's all real."

"I knew it! I knew it!"

That kid could have been alot of us. Don't we all have that secret wish (except, as the King so aptly pointed out, we could do without the Borg.....) :rolleyes:

This topic reminds of the scene in Galaxy Quest when Tim Allen was calling the Galaxy Quest fan for technical help. The kid started off explaining that he understood it wasn't real, and that it was a TV show, and he was not a nut case...and then Tim Allen interjected with "It's all real."

"I knew it! I knew it!"

That kid could have been alot of us. Don't we all have that secret wish (except, as the King so aptly pointed out, we could do without the Borg.....) :rolleyes:

I love that movie. That part when he called for technical help was a riot. The fans all got out their schematics and went to work. Each one had their own area of expertise.

My question: How did the aliens find all the stuff required to build the ship?