Sign in to follow this  
New Trek Show

Here For Your Input Trek Fans

We at "New Trek Show" are a group of writers, 2 known directors, a few actors and some Star Trek fans dedicated to seeing the Trek series be taken to the next level.

Our group formed out of an association of small business corporations in Houston, Texas, due to our mutual love of Star Trek, and the lowering quality levels seen in portions of "Voyager" and especially the poorly written "Enterprise".

Most of our complaints were do to a lack of evolution of the show's presentation quality, and to the spiraling -downward trend of terrible writing and mistakes that cannot be corrected with viewer credibility for those fans of TOS, TNG, and DS9.

During this same time, other shows like Stargate SG-1, FarScape, The X-Files, and others now being courted by the Sci-Fi channel have dramatically increased presentation quality, tactical and acceptable writing amongst critics, and overall Sci-Fi show quality, while the Star Trek franchise is hitting a wall.

Now for you fans of Enterprise, hey, we like it too, and we love the cast and a bit of the writing, but seriously folks, there is no way these stories should have taken any place prior to TOS. Mistakes run abundant, huge and glaring. Also, keep in mind that only w-e-a-k writers, and a MINORITY of fans get into solving all these mistakes by constantly re-setting episodes with Time Travel escape hatches.

The entire concept of a "Temporal War" is used only because the writing team was rushed to production, trying to keep 24th century Trek topics alive in the 21st century. Those of you who are detailed fans of TOS, know exactly what we mean.

We don't want to see it cancelled, but Enterprise is one Trek show that needs an ENTIRE reset. Most Trek fans, (and our organization has polled over 780,000 of you at the last 6 annual Trek conventions in Vegas, Chicago and El Paso) agree with us.

In fact, we're operating on data collected by you fans.

OUR Purpose, is to get to Garry Hart (Paramount President) and Les Moonves (UPN Co-Chief) and get them to listen to our corporate pitch to let us control a new Trek show that is free of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's contamination with a lot of things that are just not simply true Trek, or what Gene Roddenberry intended what Trek should be as an ongoing entertainment product.

We feel conflicted ourselves. Berman and Braga brought us much we love in TNG and DS9, and we owe them a lot, but like burnt-out lazy folk, they're also crashing Trek down into a mediocre series that is doing constant injustice to the fans and the participants in the Trek shows before Enterprise. This deterioration began in Voyager, albeit with some very good things in Voyager, but has really escalated in Enterprise.

The lack of any continuity, which Berman and Braga sneered at, is what has lost legacy Trek fans who liked all the earlier shows. Now, that Berman and Braga are in fear of losing their Trek jobs, they're rushing back trying to bring in old Trek participants, rush-restore continuity, and do everything they said they never wanted to do, because what they've done is endanger Trek as a whole, not to mention waste un-countable opportunities to do great storylines instead.

New Trek fans growing up first with Enterprise, will not understand much of this. But we have a proven formula, that we've discussed with a few Trek organizations, Conventions and websites, that will assure UPN and Paramount, a minimum of a 15% share of TV nightly ratings, not to mention make all Trek fans exhilarated with what they'll see going on.

That is, if we ever get our pitch meeting with Moonves or Hart. We will win them over if given that opportunity, and if so, might bring a new Trek show to the airwaves that truly takes a Star Trek show to a new level of profound leadership in the Sci-Fi genre.

We will participate here, share ideas, and we welcome your feedback as members of StarTrekFans.net. We may ask for your support if we get our pitch meeting, we literally have plane tickets ready to fly us on a day's notice to LA or NYC or wherever we might meet the target executives we need to pitch. We also have two agents in Hollywood acting upon our behalf now.

One portion of our new show, that makes it bulletproof, is we'll be showing UPN and Paramount execs, how we plan to let fan participation determine a lot of the writing directions. We have 22 show episodes down now, and all are fairly modifiable to actor availability, fan preferences, and past Trek writer availability, those writers with the best of Trek's past.

We also have a few other things, never done before in Television, that will blow your socks off, IF, we're successful in this.

We want to express appreciation with the feedback and support we've gotten from the "BringBackKirk" campaign, the TrekMasters website, and the StarTrekEvolutions organization of Las Vegas, Nevada, who kept us organized during the last 3 Vegas Trek Conventions. We are talking with more right now. We invite you to join our effort. Much of our plans we can reveal to interested parties, some we'd like to keep secret for as long as we can. We petitioned many ideas to Braga and Berman, as did many of you, and they are now racing to do what we suggested, and yourselves, without an ounce of credit to anyone but themselves. We hope we'll be equally welcomed by StarTrekFans.net, and we look forward with talking to you too.

Why let them know any part of what our winning formula will be? (AND, why let other shows outshine Trek as the central piece of Sci-Fi worthy viewing?) We love those other shows too, but Trek is King. It should always be so.

Before you think we're just another group of earnest starving writers without grasp or direction, I will tell you we consist of already-published writers, acclaimed actors (4) and several business leaders of Fortune 1000 corporations.

We have our confidence, but we know the odds are stacked against us. We fight on for what we want, a NEW TREK Show, that really does it right, and well beyond anything you've seen to date. We've spoken to ABC already about purchasing rights to a Trek Franchise, but to this point, UPN and Paramount won't even sell sharing rights. That was expected, but when an ABC Executive producer listens to you and agrees with you, you have to explore EVERY avenue.

We hope to make friends with a lot of you.

Sincerely,

Terrence Abrams

CEO, DOCS ETC..., Inc.

Star Trek Fan since 1968

Go for it! I dont hate Enterprise but I'm not really in love with it either. I know there has been several debates on whether or not the show really should be called pre TOS. I'm afraid some of it really does not seem to fit in my opinion. This may be nit picking but that's just how I see it. I'm also turned off by all this time traveling. This show does have potential but I dont think that potential will be realized the way the ratings are looking and the new time slot it will be in.

Well, the least that could be done is for Enterprise to stop using these "photonic torpedoes". These things are quite a breach of what has been said prior about weapons use during the earth/romulan war. I think how this can be resolved is by them basically ending the use as a result of cost to keep making them, as well as the need having been all but eliminated due to taking care of the xindi threat. This would be a nice start i think.

We at "New Trek Show" are a group of writers, 2 known directors, a few actors and some Star Trek fans dedicated to seeing the Trek series be taken to the next level.

Cool.

Our group formed out of an association of small business corporations in Houston, Texas, due to our mutual love of Star Trek, and the lowering quality levels seen in portions of "Voyager" and especially the poorly written "Enterprise".

Hey now, I really enjoy VOY & ENT.

Most of our complaints were do to a lack of evolution of the show's presentation quality, and to the spiraling -downward trend of terrible writing and mistakes that cannot be corrected with viewer credibility for those fans of TOS, TNG, and DS9.

Well, thas your opinion, but there were no more mistakes in VOY & ENT than in the previous shows. Remember, TOS had mistakes within it's own show. :o

During this same time, other shows like Stargate SG-1, FarScape, The X-Files, and others now being courted by the Sci-Fi channel have dramatically increased presentation quality, tactical and acceptable writing amongst critics, and overall Sci-Fi show quality, while the Star Trek franchise is hitting a wall.

Farscape was way too sci-fi for my taste where as The X Files had too many demonic and freak episodes for me to become a weekly viewer. Stargate, on the other hand, is how Trek should be done if it were set in the present instead of the future, but anywho.

Now for you fans of Enterprise, hey, we like it too, and we love the cast and a bit of the writing, but seriously folks, there is no way these stories should have taken any place prior to TOS.

Why?

Mistakes run abundant, huge and glaring.

What mistakes?

Also, keep in mind that only w-e-a-k writers, and a MINORITY of fans get into solving all these mistakes by constantly re-setting episodes with Time Travel escape hatches.

Only one episode was reset via time travel, and that was "Twilight", a tradition where each series does a "save the ship by changing the past" episode, started by TNG. I don't think the writing is weak, but I do think the science can be weak at times. As for solving all these "mistakes", whut mistakes? :blink:

The entire concept of a "Temporal War" is used only because the writing team was rushed to production, trying to keep 24th century Trek topics alive in the 21st century.  Those of you who are detailed fans of TOS, know exactly what we mean.

Actually, no. The whole point of the TCW was so it could be a prequal/sequal, instead of strictly a prequal.

We don't want to see it cancelled, but Enterprise is one Trek show that needs an ENTIRE reset.

Explain. If you mean end the show with, "Sorry folks, it didn't happen, it was all a dream!" then I'd never watch a new Trek series ever again unless it finished without a "reset".

Most Trek fans,  (and our organization has polled over 780,000 of you at the last 6 annual Trek conventions in Vegas, Chicago and El Paso) agree with us.

I don't agree with you. I don't care whut most fans want, I just want engaging storytelling.

In fact, we're operating on data collected by you fans.

Who is we?

OUR Purpose, is to get to Garry Hart  (Paramount President) and Les Moonves  (UPN Co-Chief) and get them to listen to our corporate pitch to let us control a new Trek show that is free of Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's contamination with a lot of things that are just not simply true Trek, or what Gene Roddenberry intended what Trek should be as an ongoing entertainment product.

No offense, but most TV shows meet their demise when they cater to the fan base. I've no issue with fans producing a Trek show, but if it's to cater to the fans petty bickerring, I have no interrest in seeing it.

We feel conflicted ourselves.  Berman and Braga brought us much we love in TNG and DS9, and we owe them a lot, but like burnt-out lazy folk, they're also crashing Trek down into a mediocre series that is doing constant injustice to the fans and the participants in the Trek shows before Enterprise.  This deterioration began in Voyager, albeit with some very good things in Voyager, but has really escalated in Enterprise.

You should see what Manny Coto is doing with Enterprise season 4. If he does well with Enterprise, I can see him as Berman's successor.

The lack of any continuity, which Berman and Braga sneered at, is what has lost legacy Trek fans who liked all the earlier shows.

Whut lack of continuity? There's been lots of continuity. Want me to point some out for ya?

Now, that Berman and Braga are in fear of losing their Trek jobs, they're rushing back trying to bring in old Trek participants, rush-restore continuity, and do everything they said they never wanted to do, because what they've done is endanger Trek as a whole, not to mention waste un-countable opportunities to do great storylines instead.

Please, don't give Berman & Braga credit for Coto's work. :dude:

New Trek fans growing up first with Enterprise, will not understand much of this.

Why? Being young doesn't make them stupid.

But we have a proven formula, that we've discussed with a few Trek organizations, Conventions and websites, that will assure UPN and Paramount, a minimum of a 15% share of TV nightly ratings, not to mention make all Trek fans exhilarated with what they'll see going on.

Whut about the general audience? You can wow the fans all you want, but without the Joe Smoe viewers, your show won't last.

That is, if we ever get our pitch meeting with Moonves or Hart.

Moonves seems to hate scifi. Good luck.

We will win them over if given that opportunity, and if so, might bring a new Trek show to the airwaves that truly takes a Star Trek show to a new level of profound leadership in the Sci-Fi genre.

As long as it's not a reboot nor remake of an existing show and acknowledges all 5 previous shows and 10 movies, I'll give it a try.

We will participate here, share ideas, and we welcome your feedback as members of StarTrekFans.net.  We may ask for your support if we get our pitch meeting, we literally have plane tickets ready to fly us on a day's notice to LA or NYC or wherever we might meet the target executives we need to pitch.  We also have two agents in Hollywood acting upon our behalf now.

I'm betting by the time this happens, ENT will either be cancelled or have come to an end, with the Romulan war likely delt with at the movies. I'd like some consistancy. Stick with the 22nd century and show us the early days of the Federation.

One portion of our new show, that makes it bulletproof, is we'll be showing UPN and Paramount execs, how we plan to let fan participation determine a lot of the writing directions.

That's your first mistake right there. The moment you get the fans involved on an episode-by-episode basis, your show will crash. Getting fan imput for "events" in the show is cool, like killing off a character or something, but I wouldn't go beyond that.

We have 22 show episodes down now, and all are fairly modifiable to actor availability, fan preferences, and past Trek writer availability, those writers with the best of Trek's past.

Why not 26? Why 22? 26 episodes is half a year's worth of weekly TV episodes, why drop to 22? I know that's the TV standard, but I've always enjoyed having 4 more episodes a season than other TV shows.

We also have a few other things, never done before in Television, that will blow your socks off, IF, we're successful in this.

That's nice, but I'm just interrested in good story telling, not shock value.

We want to express appreciation with the feedback and support we've gotten from the "BringBackKirk" campaign, the TrekMasters website, and the StarTrekEvolutions organization of Las Vegas, Nevada, who kept us organized during the last 3 Vegas Trek Conventions.  We are talking with more right now.

Just don't bring Kirk back from the Nexus. The only reason why Guinnan was still there was becuase the Enterprise-B transporter "ripped" her away, leaving behind an echo. There's no reason to believe Kirk left an echo in the Nexus, and even if he did, remember whut Guinnan said, "I can't leave. I'm there already, remember?"

We invite you to join our effort.

Cool. :P

Much of our plans we can reveal to interested parties, some we'd like to keep secret for as long as we can.  We petitioned many ideas to Braga and Berman, as did many of you, and they are now racing to do what we suggested, and yourselves, without an ounce of credit to anyone but themselves. We hope we'll be equally welcomed by StarTrekFans.net, and we look forward with talking to you too.

Hmm...

Why let them know any part of what our winning formula will be?  (AND, why let other shows outshine Trek as the central piece of Sci-Fi worthy viewing?)  We love those other shows too, but Trek is King.  It should always be so.

Trek won't be king any time soon. Most people just don't care about going into space anymore. That right there is half the reason why Trek is doing poorly these days. People are more interrested in reallity TV than "freaky people" on space ships. :blink:

Before you think we're just another group of earnest starving writers without grasp or direction, I will tell you we consist of already-published writers, acclaimed actors (4) and several business leaders of Fortune 1000 corporations.

Fascinating. :laugh:

We have our confidence, but we know the odds are stacked against us.  We fight on for what we want, a NEW TREK Show, that really does it right, and well beyond anything you've seen to date.

Sounds like ENT's upcoming 4th season. :laugh:

We've spoken to ABC already about purchasing rights to a Trek Franchise, but to this point, UPN and Paramount won't even sell sharing rights.  That was expected, but when an ABC Executive producer listens to you and agrees with you, you have to explore EVERY avenue.

Shouldn't you have asked Viacom, who owns Paramount and UPN, instead of asking ABC first? :P

We hope to make friends with a lot of you.

Sincerely,

Terrence Abrams

CEO, DOCS ETC..., Inc.

Star Trek Fan since 1968

If you're going for series 6, here's a few expectations of mine:

1. Don't do a reboot or remake one of the shows.

2. Stay within established continuity. I don't mind minor changes as I'm not one of those canon-obsessed fans, but if something's been clearly established, I say leave it be.

3. Don't ignore Enterprise. Like it or not, it's a part of Trek now.

4. If the movies don't explore the Romulan war, either do a series about the war or a series set right after the foundation of the United Federation of Planets.

5. Hire a continuity expert. Not someone who's memorized a bunch of outdated tech. manuals, but someone who's familiar with each series and the movies and knows how to understand and link events up together without coming to silly conclussions like predestined paradoxes.

6. No more 24th century. Stick to either 22nd or 23rd century for now.

7. No graphic sexuallity and no homosexuallity. Keep it clean for the family as I'd prefer to watch the show with children in the room.

8. Don't drop time travel stories all together, they've been a major part of Trek since TOS. I wouldn't mind seeing less of them, but one or two a season would be nice.

Thas all for now, I'll post more thoughts later.

Well, the least that could be done is for Enterprise to stop using these "photonic torpedoes".

Agreed, they should have either called them photon torpedoes or introduced something new.

These things are quite a breach of what has been said prior about weapons use during the earth/romulan war.

Why? Fighting with atomic warheads is silly, when they can power the ships via matter/anti-mater reactors - why not apply the tech. to projectile weapons?

I think how this can be resolved is by them basically ending the use as a result of cost to keep making them, as well as the need having been all but eliminated due to taking care of the xindi threat. This would be a nice start i think.

If they can built entire starships, why would building torpedoes be a problem? :laugh:

Sorry for the double post, I didn't want this absorbed by my previous uber-post.

Well, the least that could be done is for Enterprise to stop using these "photonic torpedoes".

Agreed, they should have either called them photon torpedoes or introduced something new.

These things are quite a breach of what has been said prior about weapons use during the earth/romulan war.

Why? Fighting with atomic warheads is silly, when they can power the ships via matter/anti-mater reactors - why not apply the tech. to projectile weapons?

I think how this can be resolved is by them basically ending the use as a result of cost to keep making them, as well as the need having been all but eliminated due to taking care of the xindi threat. This would be a nice start i think.

If they can built entire starships, why would building torpedoes be a problem? :waaaa:

Sorry for the double post, I didn't want this absorbed by my previous uber-post.

Because, JP, it's a continuity issue. You may think it "silly", but if previous Trek shows said the war was fought with atomic weapons, then it should be fought with atomic weapons, not photon torpedoes. You or I may not mind much, but some fans want this as a tribute to established canon.

I just explain it away by saying that the war will be fought with less advanced (than the NX) vessels and/or Daedalus class ships, which may not be equipped with such weaponry since it's still practically experimental on the Enterprise.

...But that's another discussion altogether.

Also, JP, I don't belive he was referring to "Go back in time to save the ship" eps like "Twilight", but rather complete continuity resets that some fans (such as myself :waaaa: ) use to explain away the canon discrepencies within ENT.

If they can built entire starships, why would building torpedoes be a problem? :waaaa:

Because, JP, it's a continuity issue. You may think it "silly", but if previous Trek shows said the war was fought with atomic weapons, then it should be fought with atomic weapons, not photon torpedoes.

First off, wouldn't attomic weapons radiate entire ships, killing everyone? Sounds like a short war. As for photon torpedoes, the warp core is essentially a matter/anti-matter reactor. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to miniturize it as a projectile weapon. If the Star Trek franchise is going to survive into the 21st century, subtle changes have to be made, like having viewscreens in the 22nd century for example.

You or I may not mind much, but some fans want this as a tribute to established canon.

Hmm...

I just explain it away by saying that the war will be fought with less advanced (than the NX) vessels and/or Daedalus class ships, which may not be equipped with such weaponry since it's still practically experimental on the Enterprise.

...But that's another discussion altogether.

It doesn't seem logical for a military to go into war with less advanced ships and weapons than whut they have at their disposal. :waaaa:

Also, JP, I don't belive he was referring to "Go back in time to save the ship" eps like "Twilight", but rather complete continuity resets that some fans (such as myself :hug: ) use to explain away the canon discrepencies within ENT.

Complete continuity resets? There are no canon discrpencies within ENT, so why bother? :(

If so the tech used does not match up with ENT. But ST had never been perfect in that area anyway.

I think it'd be really lame if they made Enterprise to fit 1950's sci-fi. :waaaa:

:waaaa: I like 1950's sci-fi...

It would have been really cool to see Enterprise in that style, but with better special effects... :( But I doubt that would have worked as well with the general public...

lastresort.jpg42.gif

I applaud your enthusiasm and grassroots approach to changing network content, but I disagree that Star Trek is a Damsel-in-Distress that needs rescuing.

First of all, continuity is the least important element of the creative process. It would be silly to throw out a great story, because it doesn't agree with a line that someone wrote 40 years ago. Most ST fans (with the possible exception of myself) are intelligent, reasonable people, who realize that the Eugenics Wars didn't happen a few years ago. I think we can handle some inconsistancies between shows.

Next, I'd like to address the issue of fans controlling the show. I'm opposed to giant corporate entities running the media, but Paramount owns ST and like or not they put the show on the air. Its great that you guys are trying to stick it to the man and make Paramount meet your demands, but as the saying goes "resistance is futile".

As an alternative, take a look at some of the fan films being made. Vulcan Willie and his German pals are making an amazing, professional looking movie with their own money and outside of Paramount control. I'm a firm believer in the DYI approach, if you can't fight City Hall- build your own!

Finally, I don't see the "lack of evolution of the show's presentation quality and spiraling- downward trend of terrible writing". Apart from a few sub-par episodes (typical of any season of any show) the writing and directing in Enterprise has been particularly strong in the past couple of seasons. I understand where you're coming from. I thought Berman and Braga held on to reigns way to long, but look at what Manny Coto has done in a short period of time.

Keep on giving the network hell, but think about investing all that time and money into a fan film.

My input is that Star Trek is doing just fine as it is. The last movie could have been better, and the first few seasons of Voyager didn't spark my imagination too much but other then that everything is perfect in my opinion.

No changes really needed.

You know, i just remembered that TNG episode having to do with the 22nd century scientist rasmussen (or however it's spelled) stealing a vessel from the 26th century and ending up in the 24th century, couldn't we have a glimpse of this in an episode of Enterprise?

You know, i just remembered that TNG episode having to do with the 22nd century scientist rasmussen (or however it's spelled) stealing a vessel from the 26th century and ending up in the 24th century, couldn't we have a glimpse of this in an episode of Enterprise?

Now would be a very interesting episode to watch. I would like to know why the scientist from the 24th century picked the 22nd century. I wonder how the scientist meet Professor Berlinghoff Rasmussen, and when his time machine was stolen.

No, odie, the scientist rasmussen was from the 22nd century and stole the craft from a 26th century individual, and then traveled to the 24th century in a hope to bring back the 24th century technology to benefit the 22nd century.

No, odie, the scientist rasmussen was from the 22nd century and stole the craft from a 26th century individual, and then traveled to the 24th century in a hope to bring back the 24th century technology to benefit the 22nd century.

Sorry, my mistake on the wrong century. It would still be a very instereting to watch on Enterprise.

Edited by Odie

I'm not too sure if I'm thinking about the same person (I have in mind the guy from Honey I Shrunk the Kids) but anyway, I thought he wanted stuff from the future so he could get rich. Irreguardless, he's probably trying to find ways to pass the time in a 24th century jail cell.

But I would like to see an episode based on that, even though anyone who has seen that episode would know how it turned out. Still, good idea.

Is the Cage  considered canon?

Yes, it is.

If so the tech used does not match up with ENT. But ST had never been perfect in that area anyway.

I think it'd be really lame if they made Enterprise to fit 1950's sci-fi. :bow:

I was not saying that Enterprise should be exactly reminescent of the Cage. Having ENT with crude 60s sets and props would be crazy. :bow: What I'm saying is that the tech principles of ENT are too advanced. In The Cage laser pistols and cannons were used but for some reason Enterprise (100 years before) has Phase pistols and Photon torpedoes? The design for the torpedoes seems to be the same as those we saw in TNG. Which is 200 years later. Dont even get me started on the 22nd century Romulan cloaking device. Having transporters in any form seems out of place too. But that's just my opinion. ENT is a good show but it's not perfect.

Edited by Admiral Kirk