Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeanway

~~ Shipwrecked ~~

{ Great job you two :b-day::b-day: I love this :blink: }

Naomi and the Captain were so involved with the images of the settlement, Naomi forgot about the image of the person she saw standing outside the hull of the ship when she returned. "Oh, Captain, look at this." Naomi Said as she hit a few keys and that image came up on the screen. "Ahhh." the Captain said. " And this person was there when you got back?" Naomi answered . "Yes, not a half hour ago." The Captain realized that whoever this was must be still around because she had no lifeform readings for 100 miles in all directions. But how did it get here? I mean I have no reading on any sort of vehicle." The Captain added. " Let's go take a look. Oh, by the way Naomi. Did you scan for dilithum? Naomi answered. "Yes Captain I got zero readings." She answered. "That's too bad, well maybe the further out you scan we may have better luck."

Once outside the ship, Naomi and the Captain walked the whole perimeter with no sign of this person. But on the ground they did find footprints. Naomi looked at the image on her pad and compared it to the exact location they were standing. "It was right here, Captain. It appears to be touching the hull with it's head pressed up against it." The Captain looked at the image and agreed. "Well, where did it go? How did it get here and where is it now?" She also said.

I'm going to play as Icheb. I'm married to Naomi Wildman. I'm not a member of Starfleet but I am a member of Voyager's crew. Because I'm married to Naomi Neelix decided to take me under his wing and I view him as a mentor along with 7 of 9. I have a ambassadorial status similar to that of Neelix. Janeway has gotten accustomed to having Neelix and I act as diplomats when Voyager encounters various alien species. I have also spent the journey learning many of Voyager's systems. The best way to describe what I do on Voyager is that I'm a jack of all trades.

Icheb is in the astrometrics lab. Naomi leans over his shoulder as they study the images that she had taken earlier. Captain Janeway had been reluctant to send the shuttles too far away from Voyager, especially with the ship's energy reserves in such short supply. At the same time they needed to find a source of dilithium somewhere, and soon. Icheb had suggested deploying a grid of 'micro satellites' around the planet. Barely the size of a adult human head, the satellites were capable of running entirely on solar power and each was equipped with sensors that could detect dilithium. It had only taken Icheb and Harry Kim a few hours to design and replicate the satellites. Working from a standard Federation sensor satellite template they had tweaked the blueprint and eliminated everything that wouldn't be necessary, this had reduced their size. A few more hours in a shuttle and they had deployed them in a low orbit around the planet.

Individually each satellite wasn't very advanced and compared to Voyager's sensor array they were limited in range. However by working together and linked to Voyager's computer they were more than capable of scanning the entire planet in a few hours. "I'm getting preliminary readings now." Icheb said. "Hmm. This will take a few hours, but if there's dilithium on this planet we'll find it sooner or later." Naomi added. "There's still the two moons, Nomie." Icheb said, calling her by the nickname he had given her. "If we have to we can scan them as well." Nomie kissed him on the cheek. "Let's hope we don't have to." she said leaning over his shoulder to get a better view of the screen.

Along with dilithium Voyager needed to find a source of fresh water since they would have to grow their own food in order to survive. Icheb used Voyager's sensor array to scan the immediate area around the ship, landing on the surface had severely limited the arrays range. He hoped there was water nearby since the satellites would be busy for some time scanning the entire planet for dilithium. From the scans that Voyager had taken in orbit before it had landed Icheb could see that there was little rainfall. The pumps at the settlement Nomie had discovered pointed to an underground source of water. On the first scan Icheb found no water underneath the surface, he readjusted the sensors and started scanning deeper underground. "I wonder how deep we'll have to go." he thought. Several passes later Icheb found what he was looking for, several hundred meters below the surface was a large subterranean lake, or ocean was more accurate because it extended well beyond Voyager's limited sensor range.

Uploading the data to the shuttle Icheb met Tom Paris in the shuttlebay. Paris would use the phasers on the shuttle to 'drill' a well while Icheb monitored the progress and advised Tom of any adjustments he needed to make. With the first shot they were able to penetrate through several hundred feet of earth until they ran into a layer of rock that was much denser than the rest. "Increase power to the phasers by twenty percent. That should be enough." Icheb said. "Increasing power to phasers. That's got it. We're through." Paris answered. While 'drilling' the phasers had created a crater a few hundred meters across in the surface of the planet. Once they had bored their way down the water began rising up and filling the crater, creating a small lake. "That's water. Now if we can find dilithium." Icheb said as Tom Paris flew the shuttle into the shuttlebay.

Naomi and the Captain met Icheb and Tom in the shuttlebay, both of them all smiles. Ichy, that's Nomies nickname for Icheb, ran up to him and hugged him, the Captain being more reserved shook his hand and said " That'll do it alright!"

Just then a rumbelling overtook the ship. They all looked at each other and decide they'd better get another look outside. Up on the bridge, on the viewscreen they could see the ship was in the center of a herd of some sort of lifeform, thousands of them. Running around and past the ship towards the newly formed lake. " What do you think they are Captain?" Naomi said. "I have about as much idea as you do." She answered. They all decided to climb out onto the hull of the ship through an air-lock and observe these strange creatures from a safe vantage point.

Standing on the hull, the Captain, Naomi, Icheb, and Tom observed the herd from a safe distance. Naomi had brought 4 optical scanners with her and each held one up to their eyes. "Oh, beautiful." The Captain said. Naomi agreed as they watched the herd. Many smaller young ones lowered their long necks into the newly formed lake and drank as the larger, taller ones stood watch, taking an occasional drink but all the while obviously fearful and cautious. After about an hour passed many more of the crew joined them out on the hull of the ship to watch. They were magnificent creatures. A cross between a girraff and a camel, but with a long, thick tapering tail, nearly as long as the rest of their bodies. They were covered with a long, snow white fur. As their thirst was saited they began wandering back around the ship. Seeing the crew up on the hull they tried to come closer for a better look. Their long necks outstretched, about 20 or 30 of them stood beneath the side of Voyager and looked up at the crew. Huge, wide silver eyes looked up at the Captain and the rest. Totally taken with the new visitors, both the crew and the beasts stared at each other silently. When it appeared to the crew, they were actually turning their heads towards each other and talking. Actually talking. The words they said were barely audible to the crew but they were definately talking with each other.

Suddenly, without warning, their little meeting was interrupt by screaching wails from above. Enormous bird-like creatures were circling the ship and the herd drinking on the edge of the lake. The herd started scattering in all directions as the massive birds began to land around the water, some diving in beak first, flapping wildly then running on the surface and taking off again. Others landed around the edge and drank. The huge, four legged creatures began to run towards the ship and decided the ship would make good cover for them because they all stayed there.

Eventually the entire herd was under Voyager. Using her as a shield against the huge, pterydactyle-like birds. As the sun went down the creatures all became quiet and went to sleep. As did the crew on-board above them.

The following morning at sunrise, the movement under Voyager began. They seemed to be digging, burrowing under the ship. Perhaps making nests, but not straying from under the ship. A few at a time were observed venturing out to the newly formed lake but returning quickly then another group would do the same. This activity went on for hours. Taking turns drinking while the others remained under the ship.

Naomi, whose interests were varied had spent alot of time in the airphonics bay and knew alot about plants and vegetables. The airphonics bay was a prime source of food for the crew during their time away from Earth and it was expanded many times in size. Much of the greenery that wasn't eaten was used to make compost for the plants and took up more space in the bay than was neccessary. There was always alot of excess greens. Naomi decided she wanted to see if the creatures would eat this greenery. Since Naomi saw nothing green in surveys of the surface in her shuttle, she wasn't sure what kinds of food they ate. Were they carnivorous or herbivores or both.

She went to the airphonics bay with the Captains approval to collect the greens. A group of crewmen accompanied her as well as Ichy and Tom.

::B'leanna..Realizes that her husband has been gone for too long a time taps her combage::

TOM!!!!!!!!!!

Get your butt over here and help me...

You lazy good for nothing.. ::She taps it again::

She is standing in half her uniform (already disgarding her jacket) Its so Hot on the desert panet and itas alread approuching mid-day

Its so hot..

AM I AM GOING TO KILL HIM

Once in the airphonics bay they needed to figure out a way to not only collect the greens but how to get them from there to a cargo bay where they could be dropped from a door onto the ground.

Naomi thought about the anti-gravity carts they had on the ship. But because they weren't in space any longer but on a planet, they wouldn't work. Besides that, they didn't have wheels, or did they?" Ichy, do you know if there are wheels on the anti-gravity carts?" She asked. " Maybe underneath, hidden somehow? Why don't we go look?

"Of course" Icheb said. "They have retractable wheels underneath so that they can still be used if their antigrav stops functioning. In the cargo bay a crewman lifted one side of the pallet up and Icheb reached underneath and felt around for the button that would release the wheels. When he finally pressed it wheels dropped down from the pallet on either end and it was able to be moved around. Not as easily as it would have been with antigrav but still functional.

Naomi was overjoyed. "Let's go." She said. A parade of carts made their way through the ship to the Airphonics bay. Naomi told everyone what to take and what to leave. They began loading the carts. When all the carts were piled high, pressed down and overflowing, they made their way back to cargo bay one.

The procession of carts made their way back to Cargo bay one. Icheb pressed the button to the doors to the outside of the ship, the doors opened. One by one the carts were lifted on one side and the greens dumped. They landed on the ground about forty meters down.

A thundering vibration could be felt, the herd stampeedeing to the greens under the ship. Everyone leaned out to see what was happening below. All the animals were eating. But there were still many more who didn't get to the food in time and looked up at the ship, with large, sorrowful, silver eyes. All the crew who had just dumped the food agreed to go back and re-fill the carts.

Icheb and Naomi watched as the animals ate. When the crew returned with their carts loaded down a second time the herd crowded around underneath the opening, the larger adults blocking the young from getting close. Then one of the larger animals began motioning, swinging it's long neck back and forth. It's mouth was moving and Icheb could almost hear soft sounds. "Do these creatures have a language?" he said looking at Nomie. "We should find out." she answered. After a few moments the herd moved, creating a path and allowing the younger animals to come up directly beneath the open cargo hold. "What just happened?" Icheb asked. "I think that large one just told the others to move out of the way so the younger ones could get to the food." Naomi answered. The crew dumped the greens and the herd again gobbled them up, letting the young eat first this time.

That evening as the sun was sinking on the horizon and all was quiet. A strange humming, almost musical sound emminated from under the ship. Everyone onboard Voyager could hear it. It was very pleasant. The animals were obviously contended, now that their stomachs were full and they had water. Also feeling protected underneath Voyager's massive hull. Audio sensors we turned on so the crew could hear it better. They were singing to each other.

The following morning Naomi and Icheb decided they wanted to meet their new friends. They climbed down from the ship and watched from the ladder to see if any of them noticed them. What appeared to be a mother and a baby saw them and slowly approached. Naomi, being the lowest on the ladder was the closest to them. The animals stopped and looked up at her. Their sparkling, silver eyes met hers and a friendship was born. She leaned over and touched the Mother on the top of her head. She was soft. The Mother licked Naomi's hand. And whispered something Naomi didn't understand. Words, but not familiar words. " Give me the U.T. Ichy." She said to him. He handed it down to her, she turned it on. Again the Mother said the same words. "We are Allussia" It said. Naomi repeated the word 'Allussia' to Ichy. There was no doubt in Naomi's mind that they were friendly. The Mother 'Allussia' positioned herself directly under Naomi and shook herself as a dog would after a bath. "She wants me to get on her back." Naomi said to Ichy. "Well, if you think it's safe, go ahead." He answered. Naomi climbed down the last two rungs of the ladder then dropped onto the animals back. The animal turned it's head around to her and licked her face, then began to walk around staying close to the ship and her baby with Naomi on her back.

::B'leanna..Realizes that her husband has been gone for too long a time taps her combage::

TOM!!!!!!!!!!

Get your butt over here and help me...

You lazy good for nothing.. ::She taps it again::

She is standing in half her uniform (already disgarding her jacket) Its so Hot on the desert panet and itas alread approuching mid-day

Its so hot..

AM I AM GOING TO KILL HIM

Tom awakens from his slumber, and realizes that B'Elanna is still out side. He taps his com badge and calls out to her."B'elanna, this is Tom." The unmistakable tinkling sound that the com badge makes when tapped is noticeably absent. " Oh, my. She may be trying to reach me now. My com badge isn't working. I best be on my way. Klingon women are know to get pretty beligerant if upset. " Tom laments. " I'll need to put forth my best face. Perhaps I could remind her of our encounter in the holodeck at that french cafe.... what was that name? it began with "S".... Maybe Harry Kim and I could rebuild the holodeck once we establish a good source of energy to power it." His mind working feverishly, Tom grabs a couple of canteens to fill with water and deliver to his wife. " She will be pleased to here that water has been found."

The creature walked around a little with Nomie on it's back. It noticed Icheb hanging onto the ladder watching and turned it's head towards another of it's kind. Speaking with it's whisper quiet voice it said something and the other Alussia walked over to the ladder and allowed Icheb to climb onto it's back. Icheb put his arms around the creature's neck and it turned it's head around and looked at him. Icheb was almost hypnotized by it's stare then he realized he was holding it's neck too tightly. When he relaxed his grip the Alussia took off walking at an easy pace. It's long legs allowed it to cover the distance between Voyager and the new lake quickly. Nomie and the Alussia she was riding travelled along beside Icheb and his 'mount' while a baby Alussia followed. Every once in a while the little one would run off to investigate something it saw scurrying on the ground and then run back to join the pair of adults as soon as it's curiosity was satisfied.

When they reached the water's edge the two Alussia stopped to drink for a moment. Icheb looked over at Nomie. "They're wonderful." she said smiling as she rubbed the creature's long neck. Suddenly the Alussia stopped drinking and turned their eyes towards the sky. Icheb looked up, shielding his eyes from the sun with his hand he scanned the sky. "I don't see anything." he said. "Neither do I" Nomie agreed. The Alussia could sense some kind of danger and they took off, galloping back to their shelter underneath Voyager. The Alussia Icheb was riding slowed to let the young one take a place between the two adults. Looking back over his shoulder Icheb could make out tiny specks in the sky. When they reached shelter under the ship they could see the flock of large pterodactyl creatures beginning to land around the lake. Snapping and screeching at each other they splashed around in the water but appeared to have no interest in Voyager. "The Alussia must have excellent hearing or vision. I couldn't see or hear the flock until they were at the lake." Nomie said. They both spent a few more hours outside with the herd until they had to return to their duties.

The Captain sits in the Captain's chair on the bridge. Sipping a cup of coffee. Holding a coffee bean and contemplating the eventual depletion of their supply. Now that they have found water, the thought of planting coffee seeds has become a reality. The Captain searches the ship's database to learn more about this possiblity. " AHA!" The Captain says outloud. The Captain discovers that the coffee berry contains the seed and goes to the airphonic bay to look around. Armed with an image on the PADD, searches for the plant. When Kes was onboard she had acquired some berries and planted some. After a short search the Captain located the plants.

"Naomi" The Captain says as she taps the com-badge. "Yes, Captain?" She answers. "I need to discuss something with you. Meet me in airphonics" Be right there Captain." Naomi and Icheb had fallen asleep under the ship with the Allusia. Their soft fur made and excellent pillow. "Come on Ichy, Captain wants me, we have to get back up into the ship." She says as she shakes Ichy awake. Itceb lifts Naomi up to the bottom rung of the ladder, she climbs up, Icheb right behind her.

Back in the airphonics bay Naomi and Icheb meet with the Captain. " We need to plant these coffee plants as soon as possble, but where?" She asks Naomi. "Captain, I did notice on my survey there are patches of what appeared to me to be dried vegatation. There is such a patch just on the otherside of the lake. We could try a few plants but we can't just leave them unattended. The Captain thinks for a minute. " Well, we could set up a few mobile housing modules on that spot. But someone is going to have to stay there, and water and watch the plants at all times. Naomi looks at Icheb and he at her. "We'll do it." They both answered at the same time.

Preparations started immediately for the transporting of all the modules. B'Lanna had located all resourses for this possibility. A team of crewmen started moving eveything to a cargo bay for the drop onto the ground. The Allusia, thinking it was another feast gathered around everything and sniffed and licked and looked up in hunger. "Captain?" Naomi said. "We could use the animals to help us drag all this over to the site." The Captain looked at her and said. " And just what makes you think they'll cooperate?" The Captain knew nothing yet of Naomi and Ichebs's meeting with them. Or how friendly they are. "I think I can do this Captain, let me try" Open for suggestions and not discounting any possibility the Captain said. " Go ahead, if you think you can."

Naomi thinks about the Allussia and how they would be able to help the crew get all this across the desert to the site for the garden. She asks Ichy. " Do you think you could make some harnesses?" " Harnesses?" Ichy asks. " I'm sure we could rig up something. The question is are the Allussia willing to help us?" Icheb responds. Naomi says " I think they would be will, they do think of us as friendly being, we have only treated them kindly." " Who on the ship has been involved with horses or dog-sledding?" she asks. Ichy answers. " I could check the database and find out." Naomi responds. " Great idea. why don't I go do that while you finish dumping all this stuff?"

While several crewmembers finished unloading everything from the ship that would be needed to construct the housing modules Icheb attempted to enlist the aid of the Allussia. Icheb decided that the best way to begin was to simply ask for help. "Hello." he began. The Allussia lowered it's long neck until it was looking him in the eyes, it's mouth moved and being this close Icheb could hear it speaking to him through the Universal Translator. "Greetings. You are the one who I carried. Are you well. I enjoyed carrying you. What are you and your herd doing? What are all of these things? They don't smell like food. Would you like to go down to the water again?" Icheb and Nomie had discovered the day before that while the Allussia spoke quietly they also spoke very quickly and their minds seemed to race along moving from topic to topic without pause. They also seemed to have a great deal of patience, when they first began bombarding he and Nomie with questions the day before it had been impossible to remember all of them. They had reminded him that morning when they repeated those questions left unanswered, not troubled in the least that they had waited a full day for a response.

Icheb explained what his 'herd' was trying to do and what the materials they were unloading were for. The Allussia seemed fascinated by the concept of building something and asked if it could watch. Icheb agreed but went on to explain that he was going to need the Allussia's help. "You see it would take us a very long time to move all of this. If you could help us." Icheb began explained how they would stack everything on pallets and that they needed the Allussia to pull them. The Allussia was completely baffled by that, the only way it could see to pull a pallet was by grabbing one end of it with it's mouth and then pulling it along as it walked backwards. Icheb had to fight the urge to laugh out loud at the sight of an Allussia dragging a pallet with it's mouth. He tried to explain the harness but until he had one to show to the Allussia it was impossible to explain to them. They agreed to wait and see the harness so Icheb climbed back up the ladder to Voyager to see what he could rig up while the rest of the crew assigned to the construction detail began organizing the building supplies that had been haphazardly unloaded from the ship.

Building a harness was a simple affair. Nothing more than a few straps that were tied around the Allussia's chest and under it's stomach and then over it's back. Two straps than ran from either side were attached to the end of a pallet and the creature was able to pull it along behind it. The arid ground was relatively flat so it was easy going. It didn't take the Allussia more than a few hours before they had moved everything to the construction site that had been surveyed that morning. Stopping to catch his breath Icheb noticed that all of the other crewmen were sweating and panting. The Allussia seemed not to have exerted them selves in the least. "Build now?" Icheb's Allussian friend asked him. "Yes. Now we'll build." Icheb answered. The Allussia went back to it's herd and spoke to them. After which they all gathered around the construction site, their attention fixed on the crew from Voyager as they worked.

Many crewmen volunteered to stay at the garden site, 3 or 4 to a module. The Captain thought this was as good a location as any to actually begin constructing permanent dwellings, since 40 people were already there.

Over the course of the next few weeks many were built. The Allussia remained under Voyager, venturing out only during daylight to watch construction and drink from the lake. Periodically there were fed from the ship's stores of vegitation.

The coffee plants were doing well and many of the crew volunteered by adding more plants to the garden from the airphonics bay. Some had actually had seeds from Earth and planted them. Others had small plants from their quarters they donated. Some peach pits were planted as well as some apple seeds. All carefully fed and watered. Naomi began a special team of, well, 'Fertilizer Collectors' who would remove Allussia droppings from under and around the ship and bring it back to the garden.

As the weeks turned into months, the crew's relationship with the Allussias grew stronger and more personal. Many of the crew took special liking to certain Allussia and fed them from their own rations. Many of the Allussia became attatched to certain crew members and showed openly their affection for the humans. It became commonplace to see a group of Allussia being riden by crew members from the garden to the ship and back, some dragging pallets, others just riding as one would do a horse or camel in the desert on Earth.

::Is beginning to get dehydrated::

::sees Tom running in the distance..::

She collapeses

Tuvok, having sustained serious injuries in the landing, begins to show signs of coming out of the Vulcan healing trance. He begins stirring, and his breathing begins to grow deeper. During his months in the trance, his beard has grown tremendously, and he is only a resemblance of his former self.

One morning, he slowly and silently sits up. Without a word, he walks to the entrance of his shelter, and looks around. Janeway, seeing him up, approaches.

"Tuvok!" she says happily. "How are you? It's good to see you again."

"I don't know you." Tuvok says flatly.

The Captain is at the garden site. One of the Ensigns sees B'lanna collapse in the sand. He rushes to her and picks her up. He carries her to one of the modules and lays her down on one of the beds. He runs to get a pail of water and on his way runs right into the Captain and knocks her down. After many apologies he explains what the hurry was and she goes to see B'lanna in the module. B'lanna is still out cold. The Ensign returns with the water and the Captain dips her kerchief in it an puts it on B'lanna's forehead. After two or three times she comes around, opens her eyes and looks at the Captain. "You alright now? The Captain asks her. B'lanna just nods her head.

"Ensign, stay with her until she is better, give her plenty of water." The Captain says then leaves the module and goes back to supervising the new construction that is going on all the time now.

::sinks back down onto the cot::

Just what i need to be out of commission

::mumbled explatives::

320x240.jpg

This pic should help give everyone an idea of the setting. I picture it like this minus the rock formations and mountains. A herd of Allussia use the ship as shelter from the sun and from the predatory pterodactyl-like birds that prey on them. There's also a lake a short distance away, a settlement being constructed closer to the ship with gardens being planted there.

"OK, Everyone, listen up" The Senior officers and I have discussed this and we all have decided the name of our new community will be " Gardenia".

So welcome everyone to our new home........GARDENIA

::B'ellana walks in late because the docter did not let her out of his site::

Ok what did i miss

(Gardenia?!?)

::moans and sits down next to Tom:: ::She pinches him from under the table and hisses in his ear..I am SO going to talk to you later...SWEETY::

A routine has been established now in Gardenia. The first priority being the garden. Many times the modules circling the garden have been moved outwards to make room for more and more plants. The garden now is more than 20 times larger than the original plot. Permanent housing has been built totally around the plot site and all along the irrigation ditch that was coming from the lake. There still has been no rain. They have been watering the garden from the lake religiously everyday. A few months back, a crewman had a surprise for everyone. In a box of memorabilia from Earth, she had kept a Large jar in her quarters. It stood 3 feet high and was made of clear glass. In this tall jar she had her collection of pine cones, acorns, black walnuts and many other botanical specimens, all seeds for trees. They were carefully planted around Gardenia's estimated perimeter and some between the permanent housing. They all were beginning to sprout, within a few days of each other. Smaller irrigation ditches were made around that perimeter to accomidate them. Large Tarps, for shade were shattered around the settlement to provide shade and rest areas for all the gardeners as the worked under the cloudless sky most of the day.

Lettuce, cabbage, spinach, parsley and kale were all doing nicely in the center garden. The root vegetables, potatos, carrots, rutabagas, garlic and scallions were already being harvested. Many herbs had also been planted. Some actually around the permanent housing, as well as flowering plants and bushes. Many tomato, green pepper and onions had been harvested and cooked. Neelix was having a great time figuring different ways to cookand serve them. Also there were large sections of soybeans, corn and wheat. Naomi was making plans to expand some of these grain crops out past the perimeter of Gardenia. Icheb and Tom had somehow devised a plow with a harness to accomplish this. With the help from the Allussia they could plow large areas, then compost was mixed into the soil as well as the fertilizer they were constantly collecting under and around the ship. Yet more irrigation ditches were made for these fields.

(GARDENIA?!?)

B'elanna has the most rigorous task as to try to get her crew of Maquis and Starfleet to adapt to this enviorment and still maintian order

" I want shifts,no longer than eight hours..Around midday i want 2 hours rest..for whomever is working...We have to start at the crack of dawn..and may finsish well after dark..Thats why there is a break between them..and its too darn hot..

Uniforms shall be shed..in favor of pants and tank top shirts..I shall ask the Captain to grant my request..

Remember we are the oil that keeps every machine working around here..If we need to we can salvage more parts from Voyager"

Company Dismissed

Early one morning and rumbeling of the ground awoke everyone. The Allussia were stampedeing. The crew had no clue as to why this was happening. The large birds that the Allussia were constantly on the look-out for were no where in the sky or around the lake. Yet the Allussia ran in scattered packs across the desert still within sight of the settlement. Many watched them with ocular scanners, as they, off in the distance appeared to be running down smaller creatures and swallowing them whole. These creatures never having made an appearance here before. They appeared as small dots running on the sand in the distance, small groups of Allussia in hot pursuit right behind them. As these small creatures tried to escape their obvious demise, they began to run towards the settlement so everyone could now witness the hunt up close and first hand. The Allussia seemed experienced in how to catch them. Some Allussia would run ahead of them trapping them between them then gobble them up in their huge mouths.

"Captain, I thought the Allussia were herbivores." Naomi said as they watched. "So did I the way they eat the greens, I'd have thought so too. But obviously they're not." The Captain seeing the opportunity to get some meat for the settlement told everyone to get their phasers and try to shoot some of these creatures that ran so close past the settlement, trying to escape the Allussia. Phaser beams emmited from the settlement in all directions. The crew ran to retrieve the bodies, trying to avoid the thundering hooves of the Allussia that were also running in groups in all directions around the perimeter. After many hours of this, the Allussia began to return to their nest under the ship, where all the young ones had remained with their mothers during this unexpected hunt. Some of the males having the dead carcasses of these small creatures, still hanging from their mouths.

The pile of small creatures got larger as they were thrown on the ground after each retrival. Neelix had large pots of water boiling on the fire-pits they had dug for cooking. Large grates taken from the ships ventilation systems covered the fires. Neelix was trying to decide if he should skin the animals first and then boil them or just throw them into boiling water first and skin them after they were cooked. He opted for skinning before cooking and was sitting atop a crate with a huge knife, cutting off their heads then splitting them down the middle, and scooping out the insides then throwing those in a large pot, and pulling and slicing off the furry skin. The heads, skin and tails in another for the Allussia. He and about a dozen crewmen, skilled in hunting and skinning helped him. As the animals were being cooked a delicious aroma wofted through the settlement. Everyone gathered around the kitchen area in anticipation of the first taste of meat they've had in years. Neelix threw handfuls of thyme and marjoram into the pots as they cooked and whole hands of garlic.

After a full afternnon of cooking, peeling potatos and carrots, then boiling those, the crew was drooling. Everyone just milling around waiting for everything to be ready. "Dinner is Served" Neelix yelled and the crew lined up with their plates as the food was put onto their plates, they sat around the kitchen area on crates and on the ground eating their fill.