Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Lets Talk Some Football (american Football)

As Hank would say, Are you ready for some football? NFL teams are gearing up for the Preseason, and there's been some shaking, rattling, and rolling in the National Football League. Colleges and High Schools likewise are preparing, doing summer training.

I'm psyched! :)

I can officially be called a football "fanatic". How many people do you know who have built a database for fantasy football? :laugh:

While I don't have any Super Bowl predictions yet, some teams to watch in the upcoming season:

Cardinals: While still missing a defense, I expect Dennis Green will turn their offense around. I would be surprised to see them make the playoffs, but a .500 season is not out of the question.

Bengals: This team will make the playoffs. Marvin Lewis is one of the finest coaches in the NFL. If Carson Palmer turns out to be a half-decent QB, a Super Bowl run is possible.

Texans: This team looks playoff-bound. All the pieces are in place. Considering Dom Capers' history with Carolina, this could be a very good year for Houston.

Falcons: The only question mark here is Michael Vick. If he stays healthy, this team will go far.

Patriots: Just a gut feeling, but I don't see this team repeating the success of last year. On paper, there is no reason they can't, but it is just too hard to repeat a Super Bowl victory.

Raiders: My favorite team is doomed by Norv Turner. I would love to see him turn them around, but I am NOT betting on it. :)

Lions: Boom or bust. Bill Walsh has said the 3rd year is the one where you can tell if a QB is going to learn the West Coast offense, and this is Joey Harrington's 3rd year. With Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, and Tai Streets, Harrington has all the tools to make this offense go. However, the running game is a question mark with rookie Kevin Jones (although considering Bill Walsh won his first Super Bowl with a starting RB by the name of Ricky Patton, the West Coast offense can win without a stellar RB).

Seahawks: If Koren Robinson can get his head on straight and give Matt Hasselbeck another good WR, this team could be destined for greatness. Otherwise, expect a playoff appearance and not much else.

Chiefs: Never underestimate (Please stop me from cursing) Vermeil, although I don't see how they have improved from last year. A lot of offense, not much defense.

Cowboys: Bill Parcells is THE best coach in the NFL. Period. This team will do very well. Adding Eddie George (who may have the best work ethic of any RB in the NFL) should help rookie RB Julius Jones in the long run.

Eagles: I may be wrong, but I just cannot see TO improving this offense that much. He is a cancer in the locker room. Another loss in the NFC Championship looms. (sorry VBG)

Redskins: Joe Gibbs. Clinton Portis. Now all they need is an offensive line. BTW, I also think Gibbs is making a mistake not starting Patrick Ramsey. I thought Ramsey was poised for greatness last year. Mark Brunell, who I have tons of respect for, is near the bottom of the hill on the downside of his career.

Panthers: No major upgrades over last year, but they are still good. If they stay healthy, they should still do well.

Jaguars: Watch Byron Leftwich. Last year, he was the best starting rookie QB I have seen in many years. This guy is going to be a GREAT QB for many years to come. :)

You all are just now getting up for the season? I've been ready and psyched since Feb 1, right after Survivor All Stars Episode 1 ended.

I watch The NFL Network every day, many times watching the same shows 2 or 3 times in a row with nothing else in between. I've been in contact with team officials for the past month (working on a plan) and I followed Free Agency pretty closely, at least for a few teams and players anyway.

In fact there's a TV Commercial for the NFL Network that I intend on getting a copy of. The lyrics to the song are something like "I Love football in the fall, I love football in the winter when it's snowing, I love football in the springtime I love football summer when it sizzles baby. I love football, every moment of the year. I love football, my oh my do I love football! NFL Network's here."

For me, that's my theme song lol. I live and breathe Football and I bleed Midnight Green.

Now, as for predictions. It's way too early for predictions so I'll just flat out say it. The Eagles all the way. It's not a prediction, just the way it is.

The Eagles leading Receiver last year was Todd Pinkston with 36 catches for 575 yards. Do you think TO will double those numbers? It's the popular thing is to say that TO is a locker room cancer, well I honestly don't care what goes on in the locker room. Besides, it would take at least 2 years for any "cancer" to show up. If he has 1,000+ yards this year he will have improved the Eagles WR position ten fold.

No games are won, lost or even played in the locker rooms. It's on the field where it matters and you have to look at what his presence is going to do. Will teams single cover him? They'd be pretty stupid if they did, I hope they do though. Single coverage on TO means McNabb's TD passes will increase this season. Ok, so they don't single cover him. They double cover him... What does that do? Who does that leave open? Freddie "4th and 26" Mitchell, Todd Pinkston or L.J. Smith/Chad Lewis maybe.

Lets say they shut the rcvrs down and have them completely covered. They had to use an extra man doubling up on TO so when DMac rolls out and doesn't find anyone to pass to what does he do? 1 less guy to help contain him could mean more big runs for him.

Also look at the RB's we have. No huge names but big play guys none the less. Buckhalter and Westbrook can run all over teams, especially when teams are scared to death of DMac running all over them or TO catching all over them.

On Defense, wow some improvement there over last year happened. You have to remember that last year the Eagles basically used their third string Defensive line most of the year due to injuries. We have our first and second strings healthy now, also in the defensive backfield last year we had several injuries last year. So with the players that are coming back healthy I would be happy, but wait. There was Free Agency this off season. Did the Eagles pick up anyone on Defense? We all know about the Owens deal... Well on Defense they picked up Jevon Kearse, I know people say "he's prone to injuries", well he hurt his ankle a couple years ago and is now fully recovered. He is one of the premier Ends in the NFL, and he's in Midnight Green! Then there's Dhani Jones, the LB that was signed away from the Giants. A really good LB at that. And then last week they signed Trotter back, he wasn't a good fit in Washington but he was a great fit in Midnight Green and he's now back in Midnight Green.

The only thing that will prevent the Eagles from going to the Super Bowl this season is injuries.

Here's my pre seasons (not preseason) prediction for the Eagles.

Eagles vs NY Giants Eagles win    

Eagles vs Vikings Eagles win   

Eagles @ Lions Eagles win

Eagles @ Bears Eagles win

Eagles vs Panthers  Eagles win

Eagles @ Browns   Eagles win 

Eagles vs Ravens  Ravens win

Eagles @ Steelers  Eagles win

Eagles @ Cowboys    Eagles win

Eagles vs Redskins    Eagles win

Eagles @ NY Giants  Eagles win

Eagles vs Packers    Packers win (I won't hear the end of this from Amy)

Eagles @ Redskins    Eagles win

Eagles vs Cowboys  Eagles win

Eagles @ Rams      Rams win

Eagles vs Bengals  Eagles win

That's 13-3. That's a definite possibility. It could be 12-4 because I think the Cowboys, Redskins or Giants might get one past them there someplace but I'll stick with this prediction as my Pre Season prediction.

lmao....can I help it if I get excited when the Pack wins?? I know I've mentioned this to you in private in the past, but I really think we need to make a bet on the Packers/Eagles game.

lmao....can I help it if I get excited when the Pack wins?? I know I've mentioned this to you in private in the past, but I really think we need to make a bet on the Packers/Eagles game.

You already lost the last 2 bets, why go in for more punishment?

Because this bet would be different. For one, the terms of the bet would be spelled out IN DETAIL so there's no chance of you charming your way around it or twisting the end result to suit your side, which you have been known to do. And because it's fun to bet against you...even if you cheat. :)

Because this bet would be different. For one, the terms of the bet would be spelled out IN DETAIL so there's no chance of you charming your way around it or twisting the end result to suit your side, which you have been known to do. And because it's fun to bet against you...even if you cheat. :)

Can I help it if you don't pay attention when making the bet? I don't make you assume you heard what you think I said. I said what I said and meant what I said, that doesn't mean that you heard what I said. It only means that you heard what you thought I said.

Now, that said what did I just say?

lol

I have to laugh at the Bears...Brian Urlacher is out for half the season. he got on the wrong side of Olan Krutz...

Can I help it if you don't pay attention when making the bet? I don't make you assume you heard what you think I said. I said what I said and meant what I said, that doesn't mean that you heard what I said. It only means that you heard what you thought I said.

lol

huh?!@??# :) I'm not sure what you said there, but it's just a prime example of how you like to turn things around and around until neither of us know what you mean!!! LOL

lol

huh?!@??# :) I'm not sure what you said there, but it's just a prime example of how you like to turn things around and around until neither of us know what you mean!!! LOL

Good double post... works toward the other bet of 1000 posts... :)

And I knew exactly what I said, Just remember what Mr. Brady told Greg before he bought that car...

Click for Spoiler:

Caveat Emptor

:)

There is no bet regarding 1000 posts and you know it!

No official bet where you win something or I win something but after I WON the 500 post bet I said, "Now I bet you make to 1000 also".

Well, I get to go see the Packers play the Bears with my dad and my Grandmother. this should be thuroughly cool. 5 yard line at Lambeau

I shall. I was just talking to my dad, my little brother (Tommy) is coming, too. he's the Designated Driver. that way I can enjoy cold beer and warm brats before the game without worrying about driving home.

It's in your own words...there is no "official" bet.

Well your response to me saying that was "I bet you I don't" so that atually does make it official... lol

Well your response to me saying that was "I bet you I don't" so that atually does make it official... lol

okay, Mr. Smartypants, if we have a bet going, what's on the line?

okay, Mr. Smartypants, if we have a bet going, what's on the line?

Nothing, it's just a friendly little bet.