Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Ambassador-class ships

Whenever we've seen ship designs on Trek, they usually faded out if they were old, didn't get seen much if they were a random design, and got seen often if they were popular or new!

So, what happened to the Ambassador-class, like the Enterprise-C? They just up and vanished! ;)

I thought after a while they were all decommisioned. They had been somewhat replaced by the Galaxy and Sovereign classes In reality I think that the powers that be (Berman) simply did not use them anymore. It's a shame I like the design.

I'm pretty sure they are still around. I remember in the Bridge Commander demo, which is current timeline, and there was an Ambassador Class ship called the USS Zhukov. However, it had an Andorian as it's captain, so we have reason to question the games accuracy...

I think there are some still around but since, as evidenced by DS9, the galaxy class ship was mass produced after awhile, there wasn't much point in the Ambassador class vessel. I would also assume they lost a bunch in the Borg attack and maybe even remaining one's in the Dominion war, since it was a somewhat old class, they didn't bother to build more. Same with the Miranda class. Those were probably replaced by the Akira class.

How come we saw a whole mess of Miranda-class ships durring the Dominion War though? It also seems as though the Excelsior-class is still mass produced. Perhaps the Ambassador-class had too much in common with the Galaxy-class, thus they stopped building them?

It seems more likely that the Miranda Class would be replaced with the Nebula class, because they are so similar. The Akira class is more of a smaller assault kind of ship.

Nebula just looks sort of similar but I think the Akira class is more similar to Miranda in capabilities and such.

I think that since the Galaxy Class were designed to replace the Ambassador class they stopped making them, and maybe the refitted the ones they had to be Galaxy Class.

Just browsing old posts and this one caught my eye. Perhaps Ambassador class ships were just designed to be testbed ships. A bridge of Excelsior technologies to the new Galaxy class ships.

I don't know, they were a good design. It couldn't be that they were old so simply were decomissioned, as we see older Constitution-class refits at Wolf 359. I think that the "alien of the week" got replaced with the "ship of the week" for Yesterday's Enterprise.

Starfleet's shipbuilding policy of the last century has emphasized ever larger, more capable designs capable of carrying out a wide variety of missions within a single hull, and many times simultaneously. However, this has led to a gradual fall in the numbers of vessels which can be fielded - where the Excelsior Class numbers well over a hundred, the Ambassadors were limited to a production run of twenty six, and the Galaxy Class to six ships initially, fourteen ships at present. While the exploration capacity of these Classes is still sufficient to meet the tasks demanded of them, the lack of numbers has led to a certain restriction in flexibility. Losses among the Galaxy Class have also emphasized that placing "all the eggs in one basket" is not necessarily the wisest choice.

Taken From bravo fleets descreption of Intrepid class.

it seems Ambassador class ships where droped in favor of the Galaxy class

Of cource it is not cannon but the ship in the new frontier books was an ambassador class. That and the Enterprise C are the only two I know of.