Sign in to follow this  
Sairnath

James Doohan.....

Original Star Trek star James Doohan (Scotty) is battling Alzheimer's disease, TV Guide Online reported. Doohan's wife, Wende, broke the news in Britain's Daily Record newspaper, the site reported.

"It is hard for him to do interviews, because the more he starts searching for the words, the more frustrated he gets," she reportedly told the newspaper. "With Jimmy, it's mostly the loss of words. He still recognizes everybody. And there are times when he is sharp as a tack."

The 84-year-old Doohan also suffers from Parkinson's disease and diabetes. He is slated to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame later this month, the site reported

Thats really sad news scotty was second only to kirk as my fav startrek actor,i had a avatar and a siggy from scotty for a while,i too want to wish him well.

Edited by hangon

It is a blessing to live to be 84, even with health problems. And he is blessed to be surrounded by people who care about him.

I also wish him well.

OOOhhh..That such sad news.Scotty was one of fav characters..I'm glad he is surrounded by family and friends that care deeply for him..I'm so glad he is finally getting his star..A while ago I thought I heard he was doing 1 more convention..I think it was going to be in California..Has that happened yet or is that coming up soon ?

Anyway, I wish him well..

OOOhhh..That such sad news.Scotty was one of fav characters..I'm glad he is surrounded by family and friends that care deeply for him..I'm so glad he is finally getting his star..A while ago I thought I heard he was doing 1 more convention..I think it was going to be in California..Has that happened yet or is that coming up soon ?

Anyway, I wish him well..

I read that too and I think it was set for this summer. With this news though it wouldn't surprise me if they canceled his appearance if it hasn't already happened.

I've heard that will be his last appearence. I will pray for his family to have the strangth in the coming years to be able to do with this wasting disease called Alzheimer's.

Scotty is one of the all time classic As far as star trek goes.

One of the first inducted into my star trek hall of fame.

my prayers and wishes to him and his family.

My own dear father died of Parkinson's Disease just last September. A month before my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I know first hand what the Doohan family is facing. My thoughts and prayers and my heart goes out to them. Both diseases are quite harsh. In many ways I lost my Dad before he died, once Parkinson's robbed him of his ability to communicate; his words having become unintelligible, his hands unable to grasp a pen to write down his thoughts, he was quite locked away in his head!

And my Mom is struggling for her words, too. She says them clearly, just that she can't quite find the word, or words to say what she means. We end up playing a bit of cherades and we try to laugh about it. But it is an uphill climb from here.

I wish the Doohan family, all of them, strength and forebearance in the years ahead. God bless them all!

T'Bree

It's very sad to hear this news and I can only offer prayers and hopes that he'll be surrounded by those that love him through all of this. I don't know of this disease first hand but my husband's grandmother died of ALS and it was awful to know she was aware of everything that went on around her as piece by piece her muscles shut down and she died.

Edited by BlueCrystal

That's very sad. I wish him well and pray for his family who have to watch over him, especially his wife. I have an ailing grandfather and I know how tough it is for him to lose his independence and for the others to have to watch it happen.

Stardate:214276.7

Ah man thats horrible. :laugh: I too wish the Doohan family well.

This is breaking my heart. Of all the original series stars (except maybe De) HE is the only one who kept in the Convention loop for the sake of the FANS!

Hang in there Jimmy, we all love you baby! :laugh:

Yes, I too just received the news of his condition. I can only wish him well and hope they find the right medications which will help him function in life before he was diagnosed with Alzhemer's, Parkinson's and Diabetes. I will keep him and his family in my prayers.

When i was at the Vagas convention, they mentioned him and how poorly he was doing and said a word for him and his family. We were all touched by this.

He brought so much to TOS...it would not have been the same without him.

The TNG episode where he guest starred was wonderful!

It's heartbreaking to hear he is suffering so. May God grant him and his family the strength to face what is to come.

God bless him. :assimilated: