Sign in to follow this  
jdigs

I'm Tired Of Glasses And Contacts

And so I turn to you gal's and guys..I am seriously considering getting the sugery done and am sure I can get both sides of the argument here..I have a consultation on Tuesday, and then it's really a matter of how or when I can afford it..so thoughts? besides "dude, there going to shoot a laser into your eye!" :(

My dad had laser surgery, the one problem he has had is that he still has to wear reading glasses. But other than that it was about a 15 minute procedure and he's very happy with the results.

Also: you may have to have it touched up in about 10 years or something. I'm not sure, so ask about it at your consultation. :(

I would NEVER do that. CUT YOUR EYEBALLS :eek: NO WAY!!! You've only got two eyes. Mess them up you'll never be the same. I wouldn't take the chance. If the doctor messes up, you can't see. And all he'll say is OOPS :eek: I've heard too many horror stories.

I hate glasses and contacts too, but not enough to get surgery. Don't you have to stay awake the whole time they're messing with your eyes? I wouldn't be able to stand that cause it would make me feel like I was being experimented on or something.

I have a hard time just putting drops in my eyes never mind someone coming at me with a scalpel :eek:

1. they don't use a scalpel.

2. It only takes like, 15 minutes.

3. Before I got contacts I could never put anything in my eyes. Now I have no problem, you get used to it.

I am not saying it's a perfect procedure, but they are getting really good at it.

It doesn't work for everyone, but you should learn if it'll work for you or not when you get the consultation. Now I'm not sure on this one, but I'm pretty sure that they can only get your vision as good as glasses or contacts can (so if you're vision only corrects to, say, 20/25 with glasses or contacts, that's as good as they'll be able to get it) And I'm also pretty sure that you have to be awake while they do it, so you'll be able to see it all :eek:

interestingly, my opthamologist and i recently had a pertinent conversation...

apparently, with my glasses (and the fact that i take the time during my examination to get it RIGHT), i have 20/15 vision - something akin to a hawk, though i'm not into rabbit...

that's good enough for me - i know glasses and contacts are a pain, but until someone like McCoy oks' it...

NO WAY would i let a bunch of apes barely twenty thousand years outta the jungle shoot lasers in my eye - i believe Geordi would side w'me... :eek:

all the best with your decision...

Not that I need it done but if I did I'd think twice maybe 3 or 4 times before having it done. It's such a new technology the LONG TERM EFFECTS haven't been discovered yet (that takes time.) It'd be a drag to go blind or have the scrars cause blurry vision some 30 years down the road.

Your thoughts are most appreciated guys thanks..I guess it's just a matter of what the docs say for the consultation. Lemme know if you want to know what I decide.

My parents both had it done, and my Dad's eyes are wonderful, but my Mom's have gotten worse again with time, though she only needs glasses for reading. Nevertheless, I want to have it done when I am old enough. As much as I like having purple eyes (I persuaded Mom to get me colored contacts last visit to the eye doctor because I admire Mackenzie Calhoun and Alanna), I would prefer perfect vision.

Has anyone tried that LASIC (is that what it's called) surgery. You know, where they zap your peepers with a laser. Does that work? Is it possible the doc could sneeze and fry your brain by accident? Cause if it works it seems like it would be better than glasses or contacts. :lol: