Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~~ Do You Own A Barometer? ~~

The sun is out.

The sky is blue.

Mean temperature, at 82. :blink:

Couldn't resist. Barometric pressure is at 29.6 and dropping. Probably more rain coming. :hug: :blink: All my optamism is also declining about a good day to go to the lake. :blink:

UGH! And so it goes. The needle on the Barometer is pointing straight up to 29.5. Experience has shown me that means rain :assimilated: More rain. :blink:

It's a balmy 82 degrees, here on the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan. The sailboats and the yachts are dotting the water and there is a slight Easterly breeze, about 5 knots. :tribble: Very nice day. The sky is a lovely powder blue with a few cumulous clouds floating around up there. The Barometric Pressure is at 29.9 and holding steady.

Fair weather cumulus have the appearance of floating cotton and have a lifetime of 5-40 minutes. Known for their flat bases and distinct outlines, fair weather cumulus exhibit only slight vertical growth, with the cloud tops designating the limit of the rising air. Given suitable conditions, however, harmless fair weather cumulus can later develop into towering cumulonimbus clouds associated with powerful thunderstorms.

It's 78 degrees here on the Lake. The Barometric Pressure is 29.8, looks to be rising. It's overcast right now. The sun peeks through every once in a while. I hope it doesn't rain. :biggrin: Let's see there is a slight breeze coming from the, hold on let me wet my finger and hold it out the window, :laugh: From the East, I'd say about 8 knots.

Although the sun is about 93 million miles, it is the source of most of the light, heat, and energy that reaches Earth. The sun's electromagnetic, particle, and magnetic-field emissions can affect weather, electronic communications, and maybe even how you feel on any given day...

Sun spots, are dark spots on the Sun, associated with solar flares that release large quantities of electromagnetic and other energy. General sun spot activity has been reported to have periods of increased intensity on an 11 year cycle.

How long does it take for a sun spot move across the Sun?

I never thought about the Sun spinning in the sky, I did know the Earth spins on it's axis, you probably would naturally be aware of such a common occurance...

I recently discovered the Space Environment Center, a government organization, that is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). It is their job to monitor solar activity...

They have a great web site with lots of pictures and information. I down loaded a bunch of images of the SUN and decided to test a shareware program that I have been wanting to try to animate the solar images

Gloomy and overcast today here in the mid-west :lol: Barometric Pressure is dropping at 29.5. Probably MORE rain today.

More overcast cloudy skies.....

It will rain...

After the rain cleared up yesterday, cirrus clouds...

That means bad weather.... :hammer:

Now it's about 50 degrees and it's raining, and it's August!!! :boxing:  :boxing:

248595[/snapback]

And some people claim Humans aren't having a significant impact in our environment. Not that I'm a tree hugger or anything but to them I say; Hogwash. :hammer: In my life I've experienced many a season so I can say with assurance I notice some differences between then and now. I hope we know what we're doing, we could end up living on Venus.

You calling me a "TREE HUGGER??" AE??? :boxing::hammer: Guess I am that. I also eat weeds and trees and alot of other wierd stuff. :boxing:

Pressure dropping steadily here.. Getting ready for soon to be Hurricane Bonnie and then Hurricane Charley. I am on the east coast of FL... but we will definately see the effects.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

I need a nap....

Them bones are aching....

Also the barometric pressure is dropping... :sweatdrop:

I need a nap....

Them bones are aching....

Also the barometric pressure is dropping... :sweatdrop:

I moved inland Yillara, WAY inland, 1200 miles. I've had ENOUGH of Hurricanes. Good Luck :sweatdrop:

No,did not know that thanks for telling..i thought barometer  was something about the weather..

249325[/snapback]

YES, IT IS! :sweatdrop:

Getting ready for more storms....

Tornadoes are popping up throughout the city to the north of me, and will be seeing more of the effects of TS Bonnie, and Charlie is now a Category two and pretty much the entire state of FL is in the path. I am being careful as possible, and I hope all in the path do the same.

I live just outside the Northern edge of "Tornado Alley". We get what they call "WindShears" here. Snap big trees right in half or pull them right out of the ground.

Charlie is now a Cat. 4 hurricane.. and is going to make landfall any moment now near Ft. Myers, before coming up the state. As of right now, it is all a matter of sitting and waiting to see what happens up here in the N. part of the state.

Another hurricane experience under my belt.

Charley was still a category 1 hurrcane when it exited the state through a city to my south (by about an hour and a half to the south). We got winds and rain, as we did with Hurricane Floyd and Irene in 1999. Only small branches are down in my yard, but I am not sure how the rest of the city fared.

Tropical storm Bonnie produced many tornadoes in the city to the north of me and it struck the west part of the state...so anything is possible.

Charley is preparing to strike South Carolina as I write this....and Danielle is brewing in the Atlantic, as is Tropical Depression 5

Edited by Yillara_Soong

I'm glad we have someone in Florida to tell us what's going on down there. Keep safe Yillara get out if they tell you to, ok? :( God Be With You. :blink:

Well, this is a new one. The Barometric Pressure is at 30.2 and seems to be rising. A first since I started this thread. Looks nice out there, not a cloud in the sky :( Let's hope we can salvage some of what's left of the summer with some nice days. :blink: :thumbup: :toot: :cool2: :cool1:

Another beautiful morning here. Barometric Pressure is at 30.3, right where we want it to be. Not a cloud in the sky. :blink:

Yillara, you still with us??? :blink: How'd you make it through Charlie? :blink: Heard it on the news today, the president even went down there. Hope your ok. :laugh:

Yillara, you still with us??? :dude: How'd you make it through Charlie? -_- Heard it on the news today, the president even went down there. Hope your ok. :eek:

251212[/snapback]

I am here and am perfectly alright, -_- thank you for your concern. Actually my city fared pretty well, that sadly is not true for other cities to the south (especially Punta Gorda, which that and Port Charlotte & Fort Myers took the direct hit). I have even heard reports that at least one of the theme parks in Orlando sustained a bit of damage (but then the hurricane was still around a category 3 when it went through there).

North FL was hit with some severe & heavy storms for a good portion of the day...though it had to do with the cold front instead of Charlie. We actually saw more severe weather today than we did with the hurricane. :dude:

Keeping an eye out on the two new storms...Danielle & Earl.

WHEW! :dude: That was rough.

The Barometric Pressure here in the Mid-West is still holding at 30.2, this is good. :dude: Even though it is over-cast.

Edited by Jeanway